What do these sentences mean

Ashelia

Hi, I just started learning Thai so I'm still not used to slangs and informal conversations.

Can someone translate what these sentences mean?

The 1st one is read as Kid Teung Kao Raw Kappp which I know Kid Teung means "I miss you" but I don't know what the rest of the words mean.

And then 2nd one replied saying Mak Mak Gapp. Is this the same as Mak Mak Krup?

CollageMaker_20201210_202044191.jpg

50 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I avoided specifying the pronoun intentionally. เขา is 3rd person pronoun. One can’t be sure that it isn’t plural here imo. 
Both speakers are male, shown by ครับ 

หรือ is translated as ?  

'Reu'. Short and spoken word for the more formal 'reu plaw'. Just is a question like, 'or not, or?'. 

My understanding your sentence means simply....

Do you miss her?

If you want to translate the words word for word...

Miss them (one person) or not ?   Khrap. 

Edited by jak2002003

I don't think that หรือ is less formal, it is the question word translated as ? 
หรือเปล่า  might be a little more insistent but it just means หรือ I think. 

ไหม is short for หรือไม่ (is your answer)yes or no? 

6 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I avoided specifying the pronoun intentionally. เขา is 3rd person pronoun. One can’t be sure that it isn’t plural here imo. 
Both speakers are male, shown by ครับ 

หรือ is translated as ?  

The comment is from IG and the person commenting is a girl and she's commenting the pic posted by her bf of them together. I did a little research and I found that saying Kao (her) is also used to address oneself when speaking to a loved one. So I think she's using Kao as a term of endearment. So the whole thing would mean "Do you miss me?" in a loving way. But I'm confused why she typed "Kap" instead of "Ka". Maybe in colloquial terms the Kap/Ka are interchangeable?

13 hours ago, Ashelia said:

The comment is from IG and the person commenting is a girl and she's commenting the pic posted by her bf of them together. I did a little research and I found that saying Kao (her) is also used to address oneself when speaking to a loved one. So I think she's using Kao as a term of endearment. So the whole thing would mean "Do you miss me?" in a loving way. But I'm confused why she typed "Kap" instead of "Ka". Maybe in colloquial terms the Kap/Ka are interchangeable?

Which shows how pointless it can be sometimes trying to assign meanings to conversations between third persons.  
It could be a strange term of endearment but also, เค้า can refer to the speaker without changing its meaning if you translate it as "the girl in the picture" especially if you consider that it was a different time then เค้า could mean the girl and the circumstances depicted.    
ครับ is good manners, there is no need for formality between them so ค๊าาาบ .   As I said in an earlier post, a middle aged lady golfer uses คร๊  , she could be trying to avoid formality for all I know. 

13 hours ago, Ashelia said:

ค๊าาาบ is 'cute' way for a female to address a male. Also used when talking to children. 

เค้า is used with loved ones with the first person meaning but that spelling is also quite common for both first and third person meanings in chat language, used for Line etc. I have one friend that always spells it that way in Line, referring to herself and others, and never uses เขา

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

ค๊าาาบ is 'cute' way for a female to address a male. Also used when talking to children. 

เค้า is used with loved ones with the first person meaning but that spelling is also quite common for both first and third person meanings in chat language, used for Line etc. I have one friend that always spells it that way in Line, referring to herself and others, and never uses เขา

I learnt that เต้า was spelled that way because people said it that way. I say เขา and so do my friends so never spell it that way but from this book:   
ไวยากรณ์ไทย by นววรรณ พันธุเมธา 

2. เขา เป็นคำบอกบุรุษที่1 เช่น เขา(มักเขียนกันว่า เค้า) ไม่รู้เรื่องเลยจริงๆ นะ 

Likely to be spelt this way when writing together. My understanding of that is where it is obvious that the writer is referring to themselves than เต้า means ฉัน   
It is a stretch because one could easily be saying that He really doesn't know what is going on at all, unless นะ indicates 1st person and I suspect that it does. 

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

I learnt that เต้า was spelled that way because people said it that way. I say เขา and so do my friends so never spell it that way but from this book:   
ไวยากรณ์ไทย by นววรรณ พันธุเมธา 

2. เขา เป็นคำบอกบุรุษที่1 เช่น เขา(มักเขียนกันว่า เค้า) ไม่รู้เรื่องเลยจริงๆ นะ 

Likely to be spelt this way when writing together. My understanding of that is where it is obvious that the writer is referring to themselves than เต้า means ฉัน   
It is a stretch because one could easily be saying that He really doesn't know what is going on at all, unless นะ indicates 1st person and I suspect that it does. 

I don't think นะ necessarily indicates 1st person. It's usually pretty obvious from context if it's a 1st or 3rd person reference.

7 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I don't think นะ necessarily indicates 1st person. It's usually pretty obvious from context if it's a 1st or 3rd person reference.

It must be obvious otherwise there would be a miscommunication. The example I gave เขาไม่รู้เรื่องเลยจริง ๆ นะ is an example of เขา in the 1st person, so the question is what is it in that example that makes it obvious to you that เขา means ผม/ดีฉัน ?  

Edited by tgeezer

11 hours ago, tgeezer said:

It must be obvious otherwise there would be a miscommunication. The example I gave เขาไม่รู้เรื่องเลยจริง ๆ นะ is an example of เขา in the 1st person, so the question is what is it in that example that makes it obvious to you that เขา means ผม/ดีฉัน ?  

You haven't given any context. Also, not sure that I've seen เขา used with the 1st person reference, only เค้า.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

It is difficult because I have not given all the information.  The  example I have given is from a textbook used for teaching Masters degree students at Chula, can we expect that it contains all the information necessary to identify the subject? 
Here is the statement:  หน้าที่สำคัญของคำบอกบุรุษ คือ บอกบทบาทในการสนทนาแต่คำบอกบุรุษบางคำมีความหมายกำกวมเพราะบอกบุรุษมากกว่า 1 อย่าง. เช่น  It then goes on to list five examples of the six* pronouns which can be กำกวม thus, ; เรา, เขา, แก, พระองค์, ท่าน and  เธอ. 

The students are in their late teens and know their language so I assume that they are familiar with sentence structure so the examples must illustrate the case it seems to me. 
For example..... 

Breaking off here because I have just been told that I expect too much from the book!  As the part in brackets shows when written เค้า is used.  So that's it.   เขา is กำกวม so we are back to square one. 

I just want people new to Thai to know that there is no wonderful mysterious thing here, the Thai language is inadequate to the purpose of communication in some respects, Thai people like it that way. 

Ashelia knows what the case is and she has told us, without that information เขา is ambiguous in her example. 

I take note of your observation KhaoNiaw and thank you for it but I doubt that you would want to "die on that hill" .    

* As with all things in Thai language that number may well have changed, I have the fourth edition of the book and there are more!  
Do I sound cynical? ......! 

Edited by tgeezer

10 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I take note of your observation KhaoNiaw and thank you for it but I doubt that you would want to "die on that hill" . 

Maybe not, but I'd love an example to the contrary. I have never come across it in any kind of formal writing (many years of translation work) and don't recall เขา referring to 1st person in Line messages, texts etc. I'd be very open to seeing some real-life examples though. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Thanks 1