Bloomberg article asks relief for expats from US Sec. of Treasury

A Bloomberg opinion piece is calling for various kinds of tax and regulatory relief for US expats:

But there’s an even simpler step you could take. Contrary to lore, there’s no U.S. statute that ties U.S. nationality to tax liability. Instead, the Treasury established that link in past regulations. This means you, Dr. Yellen, can break the link again.

Our proposal — as laid out in detail by Richardson, Alpert and Snyder — is that you introduce a new category of taxpayers, in addition to the many you already have. It could be called “qualified nonresidents,” and would include U.S. citizens who live permanently in another country and pay taxes there as though they were its nationals.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-12-11/a-letter-on-tax-from-9-million-u-s-expats-to-janet-yellen?srnd=premium-asia

The US will never ease their grip on overseas citizens. A pipedream for sure. I even joked to the GF that if I ever win the Thai lottery I would have to trust her to cash the ticket as I refuse to pay tax to the IRS on Thai lottery winnings...that's how ridiculous the system is. 

7 hours ago, tonray said:

The US will never ease their grip on overseas citizens. A pipedream for sure. I even joked to the GF that if I ever win the Thai lottery I would have to trust her to cash the ticket as I refuse to pay tax to the IRS on Thai lottery winnings...that's how ridiculous the system is. 

My Thai wife and our 13 year old daughter and myself got our stimulus money in April so I don't mind taking money if it is coming my way! We got $2700 USD. Plus  another $700 for the child tax credit and paid no taxes for 2019. 

• Thanks 1