Boat Moorings

Help please!

I am thinking of buying a boat. I know that there is not a Marina here but wondered if there are any secure

moorings on the Northern part of the island, and what if any, fuel and water facilities available.

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers, Gatorade

Help please!

I am thinking of buying a boat. I know that there is not a Marina here but wondered if there are any secure

moorings on the Northern part of the island, and what if any, fuel and water facilities available.

Cheers, Gatorade

you can park at petcherat marina. they have mooring and pier. realy nice one.

they allso have all the facilities.

Help please!

Cheers, Gatorade

you can park at petcherat marina. they have mooring and pier. realy nice one.

they allso have all the facilities.

Highdiver. many thanks. Not sure where petcherat is though!

Petcherat marina is in Bang Rak

MM

Perfect! Thanks

If you need any help aquiring a boat or finding moorings etc contact Hammerhead Marine who are based in Bang Rak, yoou can call Lee on 0896457475.

Thanks for the info. I will give him a call.

I live on Phangan, so you might have more luck than me in finding useful things. And I don't know what sort of boat you have in mind. But I bought a boat, and it's been a nightmare. I didn't want to wait to get a brand new one, so I went over to Phuket and bought a second hand one from one of the brokerages, not a cheap one, should have been good quality. Had it surveyed and serviced then trucked it over to Surat Thani.

It broke and I've had terrible trouble getting it fixed - I'm not mechanical myself, and I've not found anyone locally who knows how to fix inboard diesel engines (or wants to admit it anyway...). I flew people in from Phuket a couple of times, but if broke again as soon as they'd gone. I did get some apparently good work done over in Surat Thani, but had to get it working to get it over there (some brave friends limped over on one engine, took all day. They then slept on it for a week as they're convinced everyone on the mainland is a bunch of thieves!). At the moment the local digger engineer is (hopefully) finally sorting it out. If I bought again, I'd be strongly tempted to buy one like the locals use - lightweight with petrol outboards. If they break, you can take them off and replace, and maybe more luck finding someone to fix.

It weighs 20 tonnes, and so I cannot stick it on a trailer and pull it out of the water when the weather turns bad. Maybe you will find decent moorings in Bang Rak or wherever, I've had to go out in a little inflatable in the middle of the storm to find the ###### thing and bring it home when it's pulled its anchor in an unexpected storm (on the few occasions when it's actually been working...). It spends the monsoon up a river, and gets covered in leaves and branches but at least it doesn't blow away. Again, if I bought again I'd be tempted to get a lightweight one and a trailer.

Fuel involves phoning someone who meets me at Chaloklum pier whenever he feels like turning up, and hand cranks diesel out of drums on the back of his truck. This takes a long time, it's a big tank (and I've sometimes already waited a couple of hours before he shows). I would love for there to be a marina with a little fuel station...just pop in and fill her up.

However, on the few occasions she's been working I've had some smashing days out, and it's really the only way to travel between the islands, beats the Had Rin Queen any day. Good luck and I hope you have more of it than I've had so far!

There is also an all weather protected marina with all facilities at Ban plai lem. They do not have fuel though.

Thanks womble I will check it out. Do you know if they have pier mooring available?

Cheers

I live on Phangan, so you might have more luck than me in finding useful things. And I don't know what sort of boat you have in mind. But I bought a boat, and it's been a nightmare. I didn't want to wait to get a brand new one, so I went over to Phuket and bought a second hand one from one of the brokerages, not a cheap one, should have been good quality. Had it surveyed and serviced then trucked it over to Surat Thani.

It broke and I've had terrible trouble getting it fixed - I'm not mechanical myself, and I've not found anyone locally who knows how to fix inboard diesel engines (or wants to admit it anyway...). I flew people in from Phuket a couple of times, but if broke again as soon as they'd gone. I did get some apparently good work done over in Surat Thani, but had to get it working to get it over there (some brave friends limped over on one engine, took all day. They then slept on it for a week as they're convinced everyone on the mainland is a bunch of thieves!). At the moment the local digger engineer is (hopefully) finally sorting it out. If I bought again, I'd be strongly tempted to buy one like the locals use - lightweight with petrol outboards. If they break, you can take them off and replace, and maybe more luck finding someone to fix.

It weighs 20 tonnes, and so I cannot stick it on a trailer and pull it out of the water when the weather turns bad. Maybe you will find decent moorings in Bang Rak or wherever, I've had to go out in a little inflatable in the middle of the storm to find the ###### thing and bring it home when it's pulled its anchor in an unexpected storm (on the few occasions when it's actually been working...). It spends the monsoon up a river, and gets covered in leaves and branches but at least it doesn't blow away. Again, if I bought again I'd be tempted to get a lightweight one and a trailer.

Fuel involves phoning someone who meets me at Chaloklum pier whenever he feels like turning up, and hand cranks diesel out of drums on the back of his truck. This takes a long time, it's a big tank (and I've sometimes already waited a couple of hours before he shows). I would love for there to be a marina with a little fuel station...just pop in and fill her up.

However, on the few occasions she's been working I've had some smashing days out, and it's really the only way to travel between the islands, beats the Had Rin Queen any day. Good luck and I hope you have more of it than I've had so far!

Thank you for the information.

That sure sounds a big boat! The one I am thinking of is around 3 tons and has twin petrol outboards.

Am thinking of a new Gulfcraft 31. My main worry is security at the moorings since it will probably

have some high

value equipment, GPS etc fitted. Hope you get things sorted out!

Cheers

Gatorade

There is also an all weather protected marina with all facilities at Ban plai lem. They do not have fuel though.

Thanks womble I will check it out. Do you know if they have pier mooring available?

Cheers

I think most of the pier moorings are taken, but i'm sure they could move one of the fishing boats for you to go there instead depending on what you were prepared to pay. If I were you I would use it a little and pay for a week at a time. Originally the owner wanted 6000 a month, we paid weekly and asked for discount a few times and eventually got him down to 3000 baht which we accepted. Small boat though, 16ft, single outboard.

Definatley don't get inboard engines, or a large boat that needs to be slipped. Go for yamaha outboards and they can be fixed easily on any of the islands. If you do get inboards make sure they are Hino or some other make that is common here in the fishing boats. If you get fancy Catterpillars or MAN etc you will have a nightmare fixing them and you will have to fly mechanics in from Bangkok or Phuket.

Also any boat you get make sure it can be launched from a trailer.

Also don't forget that the best days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it!

Cheers

I think most of the pier moorings are taken, but i'm sure they could move one of the fishing boats for you to go there instead depending on what you were prepared to pay. If I were you I would use it a little and pay for a week at a time. Originally the owner wanted 6000 a month, we paid weekly and asked for discount a few times and eventually got him down to 3000 baht which we accepted. Small boat though, 16ft, single outboard.

Definatley don't get inboard engines, or a large boat that needs to be slipped. Go for yamaha outboards and they can be fixed easily on any of the islands. If you do get inboards make sure they are Hino or some other make that is common here in the fishing boats. If you get fancy Catterpillars or MAN etc you will have a nightmare fixing them and you will have to fly mechanics in from Bangkok or Phuket.

Also any boat you get make sure it can be launched from a trailer.

Also don't forget that the best days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it!

Greate stuff Womble!

Was going for Suzuki 200's 6cylinder jobs as they seem to have a very good repuatiotn for reliability and economy. Am told that the Suzuki rep also makes regular maintenance visits from Phuket. I will look at the Yamaha's as well.

I will take my Thai friends to negotiate rental costs!

Thanks again for the info.

The problem with trailable boats,is there is no ramps that are suitable.Please correct me if I'm wrong.Plus I wouldn't like to be towing a 3 Tonne boat on these wooden trailors.

You can have a metal trailer made, they are more expensive, but perfectly up to the job. The one for our boat cost 15,000 baht.

For the GPS there is an attachment that allows you to take the screen away from the boat when you are not using it. That would be better than flush mounting it as someone could easily smash it out.

Our boat has mercury engines, the boatyard here recommend Yamaha 2 stroke, easy to fix, they are by far the most common outboard on speedboats around these islands. That must be for a reason.

My next engines will be yamaha.

I am also far more inclined to listen to a local mechanic than a sales rep. If I were you I would visit a few boat yards and get their opinions on engines, afterall it is them that will be fixing them and not the rep.

Stay away from 4 strokes on these islands, more complicated and more expensive to fix. In Phuket you can get pratically what engines you like, here we do not have that luxury. Stick to something simple, and if the local are using them, you can bet there's a reason why.

You can have a metal trailer made, they are more expensive, but perfectly up to the job. The one for our boat cost 15,000 baht.

For the GPS there is an attachment that allows you to take the screen away from the boat when you are not using it. That would be better than flush mounting it as someone could easily smash it out.

Our boat has mercury engines, the boatyard here recommend Yamaha 2 stroke, easy to fix, they are by far the most common outboard on speedboats around these islands. That must be for a reason.

I am also far more inclined to listen to a local mechanic than a sales rep. If I were you I would visit a few boat yards and get their opinions on engines, afterall it is them that will be fixing them and not the rep.

Stay away from 4 strokes on these islands, more complicated and more expensive to fix. In Phuket you can get pratically what engines you like, here we do not have that luxury. Stick to something simple, and if the local are using them, you can bet there's a reason why.

Thanks Womble, wise words indeed!

I really had not considered 2 strokes as I didn't think that they would be powerful enough.

Having checked the specs it now seems like a good option but do you need an additional tank

for the oil mixture? Presume that they are higher revving than a comparable 4 stroke and less economical.

What a minefield!

I really had not considered 2 strokes as I didn't think that they would be powerful enough.

Having checked the specs it now seems like a good option but do you need an additional tank

for the oil mixture? Presume that they are higher revving than a comparable 4 stroke and less economical.

What a minefield!

I really don't know much about engines, but I know this. 2 strokes are less fuel efficient, but also cheaper to buy.

Some (like mine) you put oil in seperate tank in outboard engine itself. Others you mix the oil directly in the fuel tanks with the gasoline. Depends on make and model. I've heard it suggested that even if you have a seperate oil tank on a 2 stroke it is wise to put some with the gasoline just incase of a problem stopping flow from the oil tank. I believe it will make it smokier but having not tried myself I am not certain of this.

I think you will not have a problem with power from a 2 stroke. What size boat are you looking at getting? 2 x 200hp or even 3x 200hp should give you plenty of power, they are thirsty though at about 70 litres per hour, per engine at max revs. Not good to drive at max revs though, very bad for engine life, and much better for the wallet to drive around 3500 rpm.

What a minefield!

I really don't know much about engines, but I know this. 2 strokes are less fuel efficient, but also cheaper to buy.

Some (like mine) you put oil in seperate tank in outboard engine itself. Others you mix the oil directly in the fuel tanks with the gasoline. Depends on make and model. I've heard it suggested that even if you have a seperate oil tank on a 2 stroke it is wise to put some with the gasoline just incase of a problem stopping flow from the oil tank. I believe it will make it smokier but having not tried myself I am not certain of this.

I think you will not have a problem with power from a 2 stroke. What size boat are you looking at getting? 2 x 200hp or even 3x 200hp should give you plenty of power, they are thirsty though at about 70 litres per hour, per engine at max revs. Not good to drive at max revs though, very bad for engine life, and much better for the wallet to drive around 3500 rpm.

I've had a Mercury 4 stroke & Yamaha 2 stroke.Chalk & cheese,performance, fuel & worst of all noise level.

I am under the impression that you need some kind of permit to captain a boat in Thai waters.

I might be wrong, and I cannot find any relevant links.

To be legal , you have to obtain a licence fromSamui Marine Police, I spoke to the chief there,you can get away with it same as bike, but bound to get caught one day.You can't captain a boat for PAYING passengers,you have to get a licenced Thai captain.

Womble it's fine getting a metal trailer,what about the hitch?Ramp?

Edited by Rooo

I am under the impression that you need some kind of permit to captain a boat in Thai waters.

To be legal , you have to obtain a licence fromSamui Marine Police, I spoke to the chief there,you can get away with it same as bike, but bound to get caught one day.You can't captain a boat for PAYING passengers,you have to get a licenced Thai captain.

My understanding is that you just need a licence (any sort of test involved?) for recreational use. Do you know if there is a size/power limit?

I don't think that I would want to trailer the boat other than for essential servicing given the state of the Samui roads. The boat I'm looking at is 32 ft. There seem to be a couple of boatyards on the ring near Bhoput and Mainam who would look after it, trailering for anti-fouling etc.

Seems there are a lot of pros and cons regarding 2 stroke v 4 stroke outboards! I have discounted an inboard.

There is a ramp at Petcharat which is 500 baht per time.

The boat yard by Bophut traffic lights will also drive your boat to and from boat yard and put in water for you for an additional 500 baht per time should you require help.

Go there and ask for Kiat, he speaks decent English and will explain to you all you need to know.

Regarding engines...........

I think most people these days prefer 4 stroke, they are cleaner, quieter and more fuel efficient, however being more complicated they are harder to fix here in Samui.

The decision that needs to be made is not which are the best engines, but which are ther best engines for Samui.

As I said before speak to a few local mechanics, outboards do and will go wrong far more than inboards, so it's a matter of when they break down not if.

I would make ease of repair my primary concern when choosing engines here in Samui.

It's great to have quieter engines, or 250hp engines that do 40 litres per hour, but you'll have silent engines burning 0 lph for weeks on end if you can't fix them locally. You'll also have to pay 1000's baht to fly in mechanics if they are complicated and if you get a recuring problem this could become so expensive you can no longer afford the boat.

Edited by womble