Any recs/opinions on an April flight route to the US?

moontang

Tons of tickets available.. As usual, many different ways to get to the US from BKK.  But, I am concerned about a) them being canceled b) concerned about TG.  I know some of you have been monitoring the flights out, and/or have done this many times.  Your opinions and advice would be appreciated. 

I'm partial to JAL. Reliable, comfortable, good food and service. Wine with meals, in coach. Good schedules get you to the US in well under 24 hours. Nice airport, without the heavy-handedness for transit passengers that you find in other airports (especially China). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

I'm partial to JAL. Reliable, comfortable, good food and service. Wine with meals, in coach. Good schedules get you to the US in well under 24 hours. Nice airport, without the heavy-handedness for transit passengers that you find in other airports (especially China). 

Yes, looks like I can use some AA miles, and JAL would get me from HND to Seattle in under 9 hours.  Is it safe to assume flights through Japan are more likely than most of Europe or even Hong Kong?  Was interested in Stockholm, and switching from TG to SAS, but have doubts about getting to Stockholm on TG. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Protip..avoid this dumpster fire until we can get the stank out from the covidiot hiding in the WH until Jan 20th

Isn't Governor Nuesome doing a great job in California?  If the Trump economy gets much worse, I'm going to buy a Mercedes to park in the garage of the house I bought last month.. Lol. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, moontang said:

Yes, looks like I can use some AA miles, and JAL would get me from HND to Seattle in under 9 hours.  Is it safe to assume flights through Japan are more likely than most of Europe or even Hong Kong?  Was interested in Stockholm, and switching from TG to SAS, but have doubts about getting to Stockholm on TG. 

If you use JAL make sure you don't have to transfer between Hanada and Narita for your connecting flight.  I had to cancel a couple of flights due to that.  It seems Japan likely won't be open by then to allow that connection.  

If you have enough miles book flights on both JAL and Cathay and cancel one.  Why fly the long way through Europe?

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Isn't Governor Nuesome doing a great job in California?  If the Trump economy gets much worse, I'm going to buy a Mercedes to park in the garage of the house I bought last month.. Lol. 

Strange statement coming from someone who fled the USA for Thailand 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Strange statement coming from someone who fled the USA for Thailand 

I didn't flee anywhere.  Been here 7 years and 99% of my business is in the US. I'm thankful Al Gore invented the Internet, so remote work is possible. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

If you use JAL make sure you don't have to transfer between Hanada and Narita for your connecting flight.  I had to cancel a couple of flights due to that.  It seems Japan likely won't be open by then to allow that connection.  

If you have enough miles book flights on both JAL and Cathay and cancel one.  Why fly the long way through Europe?

Tokyo is not the quickest route to DC, where I still connect.  Usually Beijing is, but there are several reasons to avoid that. Also, can connect from ORD, CHL, PHI, JFK.. 

Edited by moontang

4 hours ago, moontang said:

Tokyo is not the quickest route to DC, where I still connect.  Usually Beijing is, but there are several reasons to avoid that. Also, can connect from ORD, CHL, PHI, JFK.. 

I'm not referring to the time it takes to get back.   I'm saying stack the odds in your favor that you make it back to the USA.  I don't expect Japan or Hong Kong to refuse connecting passengers by April due to covid but the way things have gone I've stopped making predictions.  Do agree I would avoid connecting in China. 

14 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

I'm not referring to the time it takes to get back.   I'm saying stack the odds in your favor that you make it back to the USA.  I don't expect Japan or Hong Kong to refuse connecting passengers by April due to covid but the way things have gone I've stopped making predictions.  Do agree I would avoid connecting in China. 

One plus for Europe is the protection you get on delays.  If they cause you to miss your connection in the US, you get decent compensation.  I got 500 US last time, good hotel and some meals at IAD.  Missed the connection by ten minutes.