Why I Love Thai People:

Loz

I've been trying to buy a custom motorbike around Korat. I have a couple of classics but they are small and my friends are getting into the bigger stuff so I want to be able to keep up on runs.

My friend though he had a deal struck for me with another chap in the business who then let him down ans sold to someone else the day after he promised it to my friend. My friend is now checking out some other bikes for me as he will (being thai) be more likely to get a better price.

Anyway after leavingg his shop he called me back and said if I wanted to ride a custom I could borrow his. I said thanks and he said call me when you are ready and I'll come get you to pick it up, I said, No ( thinking don't be silly you have done enough already!) I'll wander down on foot for it. So off I go, get some deisel for my truck and when I get home, who should be pulling out of my driveway but my friend with a guy from his shop. I looked quizickly at him and then in English this time he says, "Your Motorcyen". I think he means, come to the shop on your bike and pick up my custom. So I grab my helmet from the truck ans go to follow but he is off!

THink, thats odd. Then I look at my two bikes and there, in front of them is his Custom Magna that he has been working on for a while. Its not finnished but its 99% there! He'd only bloody come round and delivered it!

I don't know many places where making friends of this kind nature and degree of generosity is common. I think I've know him 6 months give or take. We've traveled together on bikes and in my truck all over the place camping, going to bike rallys where he introduces me to more friends ( one of whom is comming up from chonburi for a ride out this weekend. He's also lending me another bike for that ride!

I hear so many gripes about people getting ripped off and what not. How about a thread for all the great things that thai people have done. My Friend ( Nong ) has sold me 3 bikes since Iv'e know him. one of which I KNOW he lost money on when he replaced the engine for free! He always tried to feed me ( i need to diet!) He will always try and do things for me. My bikes always run spot on or he pulls them apart and makes them spot on. I asked for a hi speed crank, he fitted it and I broke it in a day. My fault. He replaced it, FREE. I have to force him to let me take him and his crew for meals to pay him back.

Maybe this is normal and I am banging a well beaten drum. But I am tired of all the thai bashing ( not just here where I know some of it is frowned upon) that goes on in the farang communities.

There are some diamonds here. and lerts not forget it.

Anyone got a similar story?

I've been trying to buy a custom motorbike around Korat. I have a couple of classics but they are small and my friends are getting into the bigger stuff so I want to be able to keep up on runs.

My friend though he had a deal struck for me with another chap in the business who then let him down ans sold to someone else the day after he promised it to my friend. My friend is now checking out some other bikes for me as he will (being thai) be more likely to get a better price.

Anyway after leavingg his shop he called me back and said if I wanted to ride a custom I could borrow his. I said thanks and he said call me when you are ready and I'll come get you to pick it up, I said, No ( thinking don't be silly you have done enough already!) I'll wander down on foot for it. So off I go, get some deisel for my truck and when I get home, who should be pulling out of my driveway but my friend with a guy from his shop. I looked quizickly at him and then in English this time he says, "Your Motorcyen". I think he means, come to the shop on your bike and pick up my custom. So I grab my helmet from the truck ans go to follow but he is off!

THink, thats odd. Then I look at my two bikes and there, in front of them is his Custom Magna that he has been working on for a while. Its not finnished but its 99% there! He'd only bloody come round and delivered it!

I don't know many places where making friends of this kind nature and degree of generosity is common. I think I've know him 6 months give or take. We've traveled together on bikes and in my truck all over the place camping, going to bike rallys where he introduces me to more friends ( one of whom is comming up from chonburi for a ride out this weekend. He's also lending me another bike for that ride!

I hear so many gripes about people getting ripped off and what not. How about a thread for all the great things that thai people have done. My Friend ( Nong ) has sold me 3 bikes since Iv'e know him. one of which I KNOW he lost money on when he replaced the engine for free! He always tried to feed me ( i need to diet!) He will always try and do things for me. My bikes always run spot on or he pulls them apart and makes them spot on. I asked for a hi speed crank, he fitted it and I broke it in a day. My fault. He replaced it, FREE. I have to force him to let me take him and his crew for meals to pay him back.

Maybe this is normal and I am banging a well beaten drum. But I am tired of all the thai bashing ( not just here where I know some of it is frowned upon) that goes on in the farang communities.

There are some diamonds here. and lerts not forget it.

Anyone got a similar story?

No 'Cos Diamonds are RARE!

perhaps not as good as the OP. i was sick 5-6 weeks back and didnt feel well enough to make it down to the doctor. a thai friend calls up, only known her for a month at the time. finds out i am am sick, drives down from near nonthaburi, i live in central bkk, at 10-11 pm at night to take me to a doctor.

Thai generosity (nam jai) can be wonderful. Just so long as you understand "boon koon".

there's a difference between a friend and a connection. sometinmes they can be both though.

True, but lots of time there are crossovers:

http://www.thailandvoice.com/content/view/182/44/

thanks for that, its an interesting subject. perhaps because i primarily accociate with city based 'modern', or westernised thais it doesnt come into consideration quite as much as others may find. in general i find my thai friends to be very kind and giving, but the dynamic that exists is based on friendships i have had anywhere else in the world.

to me there is a difference beteen kind gestures within a friendship and the consequent need for reciprocation which will depend on alot of other non-related factors, and favours (even those asked or given to friends) that hold a form of obligation, though there can be a grey area.

Excellent Article. Basically you can't out give God but that doesn't mean you should stop trying! Its good to give and I guess I must have a natural affinity with the system because I like to do favours and bring surprises for my friends as it makes us all feel good ans sometimes we can laugh for days!

Bikers are a close group anyway and have always had a familiy feel. When we go on runs, everyone helps everyone. I used to get frustrated at repacking my bike cos I elected to bring a tool kit. of course being classic bikes that means my tool kit is used at EVERY stop! and there are many stops... then I figured, its a pretty good price to pay for never HAVING to fix my own bike!

Jai Dee rules ok!

Jai dee, I come across it a lot. I must be lucky when I'm over there. Of course, there are some scrotes too but most of them are farangs anyway. :o

Edited by qwertz

There are some diamonds here. and lerts not forget it?

You're bashing the bashers! What's worse?

I always have to fight to pay for any meal when we go out with one of our Thai friends, she will always come and help us with anything and never wants anything in return. So far the score is about 5-2 to her!!!!!!!! AND THATS ONLY BECAUSE SHE STOPPED ME GETTING OUT OF THE SEAT BY SITTING IN FRONT OF ME !! I always think she would make someone a really really good wife only ever thinks of others.

She deserves the same treatment, don't you think?

so in the words of that great song,"where have all the good men gone?..."

She needs a hero!

It's been my experience in many lands that the further away from the big cities, the better the people. LOS is probably no exception.

Agreed - in all my travels, it is always those with the least to gain who are the kindest! :o

As for Thailand, always I find the most sincere people well away from tourism spots- but occasionally, the gems still shine brightly from the well-worn pebbles!

She deserves the same treatment, don't you think?

so in the words of that great song,"where have all the good men gone?..."

She needs a hero!

She sure does, but she is very shy only ever had one boyfriend who then let her down. I,m glad I know her though.

Great story, but it has to balance, he has helped you (even if you didn't want it), now you have to help him, in his world you now owe him respect and a pay back (sorry, not a great way to explain it, and I'm sure there are people here that can word it better, mine is just a simple explanation). But in a way, yes you are right, Thai people are fantastic, but you have to understand the motive.

Give then take, or take then give, works both ways.

He Always gets my respect and as many favours as I can get past him. I have become part of his bike club and more people will turn up for rides out if they think the English teacher is coming so that works well. I have a pick up so when I can I help out with transport. example, wife and daughter gone to visit family on the bike, heavy rain comes and Nong was going to get them in the car, I say, lets take the truck and bring the bike back too, save you two trips. We spend a bit more time together, I get to meet his wifes parents and show them respect too. Is a win win.

Ps. Its not just in his world. In my world a good deed is to be respected. and the doer of the deed earns my respect. Of course I want to reciprocate. I suspect some in this situation might fear the cost of repay the debt. Liek he might make a demand that you don't like? never happened to me. He dodes not see me as a cash cow. He is always trying ansd often succeeding is saving me money. I tell him I am off to buy something and he stops me, the next day he has the same item for less. sometimes for free. When I want to replace something with a new one he stops me and fixes it often, in fact nowadays always for free. I have to smuggle money into his hand or I'll bring drinks and food for his staff and family to say thank you.

In short, outgiving each other has become a game that we both enjoy. Everybody wins.

Ps. Its not just in his world. In my world a good deed is to be respected. and the doer of the deed earns my respect. Of course I want to reciprocate. I suspect some in this situation might fear the cost of repay the debt. Liek he might make a demand that you don't like? never happened to me. He dodes not see me as a cash cow. He is always trying ansd often succeeding is saving me money. I tell him I am off to buy something and he stops me, the next day he has the same item for less. sometimes for free. When I want to replace something with a new one he stops me and fixes it often, in fact nowadays always for free. I have to smuggle money into his hand or I'll bring drinks and food for his staff and family to say thank you.

In short, outgiving each other has become a game that we both enjoy. Everybody wins.

JR Texas: Why I love Thai People............ :o:D :D :D :D

JR,

I take it you have not had many good experiences then. Maybe this is the wrong thread for you. Be boring if we all clung to the same stale views though, wouldn't it?

Because they're human, just like the rest of us.

The differences between cultures are so slight compared to our common humanity.

And you know in the US, there are bitter Thai expats, too, just like we see on this forum. And those who mistake cynicism for widsom.

And you know in the US, there are bitter Thai expats, too, just like we see on this forum. And those who mistake cynicism for widsom.

i love thai's cos they think like me ,why do something today when you can do it tomorrow ,besides do it today what do you do tomorrow :o

i love thai's cos they think like me ,why do something today when you can do it tomorrow ,besides do it today what do you do tomorrow :o

Exactly. wherever you are in the world theres always good and bad people. You can't go tarring everyone with the same brush.

I remember years ago when I first arrived a couple of instances of hardbitten expats telling me just what lying cheating people thais were and that you'll never have a real friend here.

Well I've got some invaluable friends that i'd trust to the ends of the earth and I recall thinking about those expats- Yeah, thats your opinion and look at the types of people you're surrounding yourself with.....what do you expect

JR,

I take it you have not had many good experiences then. Maybe this is the wrong thread for you. Be boring if we all clung to the same stale views though, wouldn't it?

JR Texas to Loz: Just making a joke as JR Texas is usually too serious........and hardly any experience with Thais....only about 20 years or so (no joke).

My experience with Thais is that 10 out of 10 will smile at you and 1 out of 10 will be a good person.

My experience with Americans is that 10 out of 10 will frown at you and 1 out of 10 will be a good person.

There are good people and bad people all over.........but far too many bad people all over.

Need proof: just look at what we are doing to each other, the planet and future generations......good people do not behave the way most of us are behaving.

Ah, JR Texas, so that explains your general negativity (although I appreciate your balance re all people the same).

You think only 1 in 10 is good. In my experience, it's just about the reverse, only 1 in 10 are bad (and of course we all have some good and some bad, I suppose for the 'bad' we're talking about mostly bad).

What you miss with your overwhelming brown tinted glasses is that things are actually getting better in the world. I like the fact that the media covers the negative, but too many mistake that for whether the center of mass is moving in the positive direction, and I think it is by almost any measure-- per capita starvation and disease going down, per capita involved in wars going down, awareness of importance of climate going up, and ability of technology to make a positive difference going up, etc.

It may be two steps forward and one and half back, but still, things are looking better than ever before.

Naam-jai juice of the heart/flow of the heart.

A person who shows Naam-jai will not ask for money or any kind of payment in exchange for his/her generosity

Sam-nuk-bun-kun

To give back the generosity show by others and offer your own Naam-jai.

Its a great system when understood and applied, I said his world, because its not a western practice as such, as we are raised to be independent, yet Thais are taught this as a basis for society. Some Thais don't practice this with Farang, because not all Farang recognise the system for what it is, also having said that, it can be hard for Farang doing business yet trying to maintain Naam-jai and Sam-nuk-bun-kun because of western principles and up bringing, and of course "capitalism".

Ah, JR Texas, so that explains your general negativity (although I appreciate your balance re all people the same).

You think only 1 in 10 is good. In my experience, it's just about the reverse, only 1 in 10 are bad (and of course we all have some good and some bad, I suppose for the 'bad' we're talking about mostly bad).

What you miss with your overwhelming brown tinted glasses is that things are actually getting better in the world. I like the fact that the media covers the negative, but too many mistake that for whether the center of mass is moving in the positive direction, and I think it is by almost any measure-- per capita starvation and disease going down, per capita involved in wars going down, awareness of importance of climate going up, and ability of technology to make a positive difference going up, etc.

It may be two steps forward and one and half back, but still, things are looking better than ever before.

JR Texas to Dumspero: We have different views of reality, progress, optimism and negativism.