Moving From Scotland To Bangkok

SARAHJ101

Hi there, Im relocating to Bangkok from sunny Scotland for 1yr + with my partner due to a job opportunity he has taken. I have never been to the far East before and am a bit apprehensive to say the least! If anyone could answer a few questions I have I would be most grateful!

Whats the health care system like?

Is it true that Bangkok isn't a very nice place to stay? All I seem to have read recently is that its very 'slummy' ?

Are there a good few english speaking companies as I would also like to work? I am an IT Support Analyst but have my previous secretarial skills to fall back on if need be.

Would Pattaya be a better option as a place to stay as this may be an alternative residence if the job allows?

Are there expat 'groups' available for newbie's to join?

Many thanks

Sarah :o)

Hello, I'll have a bash at answering your questions.

Healthcare system varies from being apalling to being tremendously good (if expensive), make sure you ahve a good health insurance package.

Parts of Bangkok are slummy, however, name me one place where less than perfect/clean/pretty housing exists.

Not sure about working, check out the job vacancies on this board.

Pattaya...........................

Social clubs - there is the ultra snotty British club (which also caters to the hibernians amongst us) I would say that is for the family/older person. YOu'll be sure to meet plenty of people without joining clubs.

One other thing I would say, if you are not married to your partner you may have to do border runs. You could run into visa problems so it would probably be a good idea to check that you will be legal before you come.

Hi Smartecosse, are you originally from Scotland?! the duration of the stay is going to be 1yr +, we should be heading over there in about a month and a half. Will most definitely be taking a years supply tho of Square sausage, skirly, mealie puddings, irn bru and Rowies! lol :o

Hi Leisurely, thanks for the reply. Im hoping that his company will sort out all the legalities with regards to health insurance and visa's etc but its good to know what I will require before heading over. Im not too keen on joining 'clubs' to be honest as I dont really want to be segrating myself from the locals as that seems a bit ignorant since I am choosing to move over there but i'm hoping it will be a good network to meet other people in the same situation as myself. Im hoping that we find somewhere decent to live. It doesnt have to be picture perfect just clean and somewhere I wont feel scared walking around in! Are there any specific areas within Bangkok that would fit this description? Sooo many questions sorry! :D

Don't know where you're from in Scotland, but no city will compare with Bangkok. Whilst it is a congested city, populated both with many buildings and people, (and the buildings not zoned, so there is no specific residential area, but there are clusters), it is a safe city and there are areas that are pleasant, green and expat-populated, (not that the latter is necessarily a plus). For such a short time I presume you are staying in a service apartment, and these are well contained with good amenities such as pool and gym, restaurants etc, and usually within easy reach of the types of things you will want, (shopping, nightlife venues etc). I absolutely do not recommend Pattaya; it's a dump....there will be howls of protest from those who think differently. It is very unlikely you will able to work, without having a specific job to go to before you get here, (which will require a work permit). Your best bet is to come on a recce, but initially you will be overwhelmed by it, and indeed you might be completely put off, given your non-exposure to the Far East. If it captures your imagination, (as it has for many), you will think of it as the most exotic country, (and city) in the world, and you may never want to leave. But I reiterate: there is nothing like it in the world and you will either love it or hate it. Good luck!

Try reading this other thread too:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=74241&hl=

Suggest you get a map of Bangkok with BTS (Skytrain) and MRT (Underground) stations and find out where your partner's office will be. Traffic is a huge problem in the city, so if the office and where you live are connected easily to one of the above, or are close to each other, that will make both your lives a lot less of a hassle.

Edited by samtam

Hi there, Im relocating to Bangkok from sunny Scotland for 1yr + with my partner due to a job opportunity he has taken. I have never been to the far East before and am a bit apprehensive to say the least! If anyone could answer a few questions I have I would be most grateful!

Is it true that Bangkok isn't a very nice place to stay? All I seem to have read recently is that its very 'slummy' ?

Are there a good few english speaking companies as I would also like to work? I am an IT Support Analyst but have my previous secretarial skills to fall back on if need be.

Would Pattaya be a better option as a place to stay as this may be an alternative residence if the job allows?

Many thanks

Sarah :o )

Using the term partner makes me assume you are not married. A visa for a long stay might be a problem for you.

Bangkok has it good and bad sections just like any other major city in the world. Finding a good place to live will not be a problem and I think you will enjoy your stay once you make a few friends.

I know its ayear away but can you bring me over a few kilo's of sliced sausage and a bag of tattie scones?

:o

Wot! can make own tattie scones here,only need tatties(mashed) flour n butter. Friendship in Pattaya have square sausage(one haggis basher we know says it's good) but have not tried ourselves(my other half Scottish)

For SarahJ101 we been in Pattaya 18 months now and we love it, but many others hate the place and strongly agree with ballbreaker about good and bad all over the world although visa issue should not be problem if partners firm organise everything properly before you leave,check and make sure this done before you set off, good luck and welcome to LOS.

PS Pattaya have ex-pat clubs ladies clubs etc, sure Bangkok have the same, plus thai visa of course, a wealth of info for anyone everywhere.

Bangkok will at first shock your senses, it is hot and busy.

But, once you acclimatise (and you will) you will find that you'll probably have a standard of living much higher than in Scotland. If you are on some sort of expat package, you'll find more bigger apartments, great shopping and and a very lively environment (of the safe and non dodgy variety) around you. While BKK isn't cheap as some people claim, your money will go alot further - enabling you to get things like hired help and the like. You won't be ironing your clothes once while you are here.

There are fantastic restuarants, shopping and cinema's here. Health care here is excellent and the standard of the hostitals are fantastic and hotel like (we had our baby here - I shudder to think what the NHS would have been like had we stayed in London).

Job wise, you'll have a much easier time to find some sort of work in BKK than in Pattaya, and probably a wider group of younger expats who work here and to network with. This is very important, as if you aren't working for the first couple of months, things can be a bit isolating.

I fall into the category of people who don't like Pattaya...basically it is a very bad version of the worst British seaside village that you can think of, with the heat and sleaze added on top. Nice for a visit if you are into what Pattaya has to offfer, but not to live in my personal opinion. If you want a beach, there are plenty of better ones within spitting distance of BKK to make a weekend of it. And from BKK you can easily fly to Phuket etc. as well.

I moved from Edinburgh to Bangkok in 99 (I am English though) but already knew the place well.

There are plenty of womens cubs around to join but you say you are not a joiner - these are usually "Ladies who lunch" and do a bit of charity work.

As for job prospects i never knew a trailing spouse who worked except for volunteer work with the likes of empower.

The pay for an IT support analyst would be a pittance and for a secretary even less unless you could read and write Thai. You would have to get a WP on your own merit - your ability to work or getting an easy permit does not come with your partners like in some countries.

Take it as a chance to learn new skill's - take a online course and upgrade skills ready for a return home - learn thai (or mandarin) - do some charity work????

• 7 months later...
But, once you acclimatise (and you will) you will find that you'll probably have a standard of living much higher than in Scotland.

:o

What a lot of utter nonsense.

The standard of living in Scotland is far superior to anything Thailand has to offer.

have you been on the buckie or el-d, i didnt know they sold it it thailand, i thought buckie was only for export to north lanarkshire only.

Hi Smartecosse, are you originally from Scotland?! the duration of the stay is going to be 1yr +, we should be heading over there in about a month and a half. Will most definitely be taking a years supply tho of Square sausage, skirly, mealie puddings, irn bru and Rowies! lol :o

Hi Leisurely, thanks for the reply. Im hoping that his company will sort out all the legalities with regards to health insurance and visa's etc but its good to know what I will require before heading over. Im not too keen on joining 'clubs' to be honest as I dont really want to be segrating myself from the locals as that seems a bit ignorant since I am choosing to move over there but i'm hoping it will be a good network to meet other people in the same situation as myself. Im hoping that we find somewhere decent to live. It doesnt have to be picture perfect just clean and somewhere I wont feel scared walking around in! Are there any specific areas within Bangkok that would fit this description? Sooo many questions sorry! :D

hi ,fit like me quine, i take it you are fa the ne as you mentioned rowies ,if you take a dozen fa atkiens in aberdeen then ill get the missus to pick you up fa the airport and take you to where you want to go , but gomming fa bonnie scotland you will be dissapointed for sure in bangkok and pataya is even worse. but not far from bangkok you have many nice places on the coast ,ie hua hin, ch am,and many more all the way down to krabie.but for a year or so enjoy it as you may not get the chance again as all these places are getting worse , same as scotland , the poles and russians are moving in ,but we scotts get on anywhere as you will see .

it is not appropriate to wear a kilt in Bangkok.

Why not? I have before. :o

BTW to the OP> Just come with an open mind. You will love Bangkok. I know i did. Stayed there for 5 years. Forget Pattaya, its not the best place. IMHO

When you get to Bangkok take a trip down to Pattaya at the very first opportunity and see for yourself,

many compare it favourably to the Italian Riviera, what with it's beautiful climate, mountains, beaches and quality services.

Did I mention the fresh, invigorating sea breezes.

Most expats who live in Bangkok do so only because they must, they have no choice in the matter

due to their work (teaching English). It really is a deplorable, overcrowded, hot, smelly dump.

And then there are the expatriates you are likely to meet. Where as previously noted, in Bangkok you will mainly

meet only conmen and teachers ... you can recognize them in the bars as at night's end they will be counting

out their loose change on the bar and trying to decide whether to have another beer and walk, or take a bus home.

In Pattaya you will meet a much more upmarket crowd. many of whom are the owners or managers

of upmarket entertainment establishments in our glorious city.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Hi Sarah,

Varied. The hospital I go to is like an upmarket spa, only with decent prices. There's a doorman who lets you in. And a smiley sweetie to lead you to whatever floor your appointment is at.

Well, I've lived in Scotland (Aberdeen) and it's nothing like Bangkok. I prefer Bangkok, but then SE Asia is where I feel I belong. It might not be shiny clean down here, but it's cheap and it's never boring. And the Thais are amazing. With all the smiles, walking out the door is like celebrating Xmas anew every day.

In Bangkok they do not have zones set up (unless, I imagine, power comes into it). You'll find slums right next to major hotels (if there is space). Sure, some areas are richer than others, with a lessing of slummy areas. But drive in a street or two and it's there. The UK is similar, but from what I've seen, they don't slum down this bad.

What matters to me is that I've felt unsafe in the UK but I'm comfortable in Bangkok. And yes, I do make sure to stay away from the unsafe areas (never been to Nana at night).

Pattaya has a 'difficult' reputation. But as suggested, go and see for yourself. Men might have a different opinion than women so I'm not sure what you'll think of it.

I've been in Thailand three years (after vacationing here for yaks ages). I first lived in Ladprao. Too far north. Then moved to Ari after spending time in the area. I loved the village feel, so after a year I bought a condo. Bottom line - Ari is not filled with seedy expats here for the nightlife. It's majority Thais with a smattering of professional expats (just google 'Soi Ari Bangkok'.)

Depends on what you fancy really. Do you need to be by all the modern buildings, with tons of expensive restaurants and shopping centres? (And megga traffic jams). Then Suk might be for you.

Well, since you will only be here a year, perhaps the British Club is out. Unlike the previous poster, I'm not adverse to the club. And no, I do not think it's stuffy at all. Quite the opposite.

The BC does market to families (kids) but keeps kids separate from the partying adults (unless you like swimming). There's a few characters around the bar but (IMHO) the BC could use a bit more flavour.

If you play Bridge or enjoy Quiz Nights, you don't have to become a member to attend the club.

Btw - I'm a member, not a visitor to the club. And no, I don't think it's brilliant (I'm rarely there). But it is an easy place to relax away from the city, but in the city.

For other groups:

BNOW - http://www.bnow.org/background.html

Sign up to their newsletter before you move out here. It's a jewel. I found one of my closest friends via BNOW. Via the newsletter you can find courses, work, accommodation, etc.

There are all sorts of international women's groups in Bangkok (or were you looking for a couples group?). Just google your interest.

So you won't land here blind, head on over to the Ladies section of Thaivisa - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=15

The ladies get together on a regular basis. It seems quite fun. I'm too shy to meet in person, but maybe one day ...

Enjoy your stay in Bangkok, and please let us know how you get on.

Edited by desi

Most expats who live in Bangkok do so only because they must, they have no choice in the matter

due to their work (teaching English). It really is a deplorable, overcrowded, hot, smelly dump.

And then there are the expatriates you are likely to meet. Where as previously noted, in Bangkok you will mainly

meet only conmen and teachers ... you can recognize them in the bars as at night's end they will be counting

out their loose change on the bar and trying to decide whether to have another beer and walk, or take a bus home.

This is a load of rubbish. In Bangkok, provided you mix in the right crowds, you;ll find young men and women of all ages and nationalities and careers who love life here. Single or attached there is a good crowd of expats if you look for them.

Forget about the British Club or BNOW if you are younger than 40. Get along to "networking" functions such as that of the European Young Professionals EYP, BKK Young Professionals BYP, and sports / social clubs like Southerners www.southerners-bangkok.com to meet like minded young people in the city.

Life can be very safe and enjoyable here with restaurants, shopping malls, bars, nightclubs and islands and beaches all of high quality.

Many thanks

Sarah :o )

hi sarah,i have read all the posts,and as you can see they are very varied.my thoughts are that i could not live in bk,as i feel the pollution is too bad.every time i visit i get headaches after a few hours,and thats not with the sang som and coke lol.

i have lived in pattaya for 5 years since i retired at 50yo,and there are so many different types of people here.from the very rich to the expat who is trying to live on a shoestring.pattaya will not suit a few people but i can honestly say that if you arent a pc brigade type of person the place is ok.some crime here but that goes for bad thai and bad farang.after a while you get into certain circles and mine are married people who are very happy in their life and do not need the sleeze.jomtien beach is a good place to live also and only 20 mins to pattaya.

but first you must check if you have a multi entry o or b if you want to try and work.my thoughts are if your partner has farang wages,then dont work and pamper yourself every day with a sap and massage and wash away all the grime of bk.enjoy your stay and good luck,but be prepared for totaly different life