Xbox 360 - Bust!

cowman1

My beloved Xbox 360 has bust, I think it must be the over-heating problem that has plagued so many of them. Basically it works sometimes, but then games crash all the time whilst playing, (usually making a high pitched sound) - sometimes it won't even work and i get the 3 flashing red lights.

I had only had it for 5 months (my original xbox is still going strong after 5 years!). It's so annoying, it was a great little console before this happened, i was loving it.

Anyway, I got it from MBK, so i rang the shop up and they accepted it was a common problem, and a fault with microsoft and that if i bring it in they would fix it. Then when i asked if this would be free, the guy got a bit shifty and wouldn't confirm anything. If they wont fix it, and they accept its not my fault its broke, then why do a year warranty in the first place - what does it cover? (I still have the sticker on the box to show).

Anyway, i was just wandering if this has happened to anyone else, and what happened. Did you get a replacement or at least the console repaired? Surely they have to do something?!

I just bought a 360 yesterday, they told me it had a 1 year warranty for labor only; not parts.

I'm assuming you're "warranty" is probably the same. I bought the extra fan unit that goes on the back, so hopefully this will stop the overheating a bit.

Edited by dave111223

My beloved Xbox 360 has bust, I think it must be the over-heating problem that has plagued so many of them. Basically it works sometimes, but then games crash all the time whilst playing, (usually making a high pitched sound) - sometimes it won't even work and i get the 3 flashing red lights.

I had only had it for 5 months (my original xbox is still going strong after 5 years!). It's so annoying, it was a great little console before this happened, i was loving it.

Anyway, I got it from MBK, so i rang the shop up and they accepted it was a common problem, and a fault with microsoft and that if i bring it in they would fix it. Then when i asked if this would be free, the guy got a bit shifty and wouldn't confirm anything. If they wont fix it, and they accept its not my fault its broke, then why do a year warranty in the first place - what does it cover? (I still have the sticker on the box to show).

Anyway, i was just wandering if this has happened to anyone else, and what happened. Did you get a replacement or at least the console repaired? Surely they have to do something?!

No warranty on modded boxes usually.

Here on the board is one helpfull guy who makes repairs I think, if interested I can check if I find his nickname.

Yeah,

It is modded. i started using that fan attachment, but maybe too late, after damage had been done. The thing is it does boot up and pllay games most of the tome, but they almost always crash - this is very annoying when playing online, it makes a wierd screeching noise too when i turn it on. My friend just got an internal fan put into his (about 300 baht) and it seems to work really well, the discs are just slightly warm when you take them out of the machine. Mine have always been red-hot!

I guess I will take it in and see how much they quote me, I'm not really sure what needs fixing though, as it works and then doesn't work. Which would imply nothing is actually broken?

h90 - Yeah, maybe if you could find his name he could tell me what the problem is from tyhe symtoms it has?!!

....the discs are just slightly warm when you take them out of the machine. Mine have always been red-hot!

I guess I will take it in and see how much they quote me, I'm not really sure what needs fixing though, as it works and then doesn't work. Which would imply nothing is actually broken?

1 - If disks are red-hot coming out, yeah, definitely overheating problem

2 - You'd think that computers, being all 0 or 1 and nothing inbetween, either work or don't. However, these machines still have tons of analog parts which can get into a state between not working and working. Capacitators and other parts. Those will need to be replaced. (no idea how hard that is or what's involved)

I guess that this is just a problem with the Xbox - it always had some heat issues, and add to that a really hot/humid climate and you get a lot of dead units.