Car Problem

mallmagician

Hi all,

My 1975 Toyota Corona has started "chugging". As if its running out of fuel if you know what I mean?

Anyone know what this is? And if it needs fixing, and good places to go (cheap please :o )

Cheers

Phil

When I start chugging it usually means I am in a beer drinking race and the night is going to get worse. Ok back to your problem - could be any number of things, water in the fuel, dirt in the carburetor, faulty electrical leads, timing out of sequence. There are a gazillion places around town that do cheap and to the most part reliable work especially on the older cars. Use the Toyota dealership for the recent models and look for roadside mechanics for the old ones. You may like to send a PM to Ta22 and ask him because he has a small car yard of his own personal vehicles and knows CM very well for the good/cheap places - just don't ask him to discuss good v cheap or this thread will have a five page discourse of Ta22 wisdom

:D

CB

Hi all,

My 1975 Toyota Corona has started "chugging". As if its running out of fuel if you know what I mean?

Anyone know what this is? And if it needs fixing, and good places to go (cheap please :o )

Cheers

Phil

When I start chugging it usually means I am in a beer drinking race and the night is going to get worse. Ok back to your problem - could be any number of things, water in the fuel, dirt in the carburetor, faulty electrical leads, timing out of sequence. There are a gazillion places around town that do cheap and to the most part reliable work especially on the older cars. Use the Toyota dealership for the recent models and look for roadside mechanics for the old ones. You may like to send a PM to Ta22 and ask him because he has a small car yard of his own personal vehicles and knows CM very well for the good/cheap places - just don't ask him to discuss good v cheap or this thread will have a five page discourse of Ta22 wisdom

:D

CB

TA22 might persuade you to get some new subwoofers to balance out the chugging sound. :D

but u ended up with a 1975 corona??? how much did you pay for it phil?

Hi all,

Cheers

Phil

check your fuel line... if you let your car run low on gas regularly, all the gunk that collects in the bottom of the tank gets sucked down.. into the fuel line clogging it. To do to prevent this.. dont let your tank get below 1/4 tank.. try to keep it full when possible. Also check your fuel filter it might be clogged as well.. if this is the problem.. than its a cheap fix...

Good luck

Can you post a picture? :o Nothing to do with your problem, but I'd like to see what a 32 year old 30,000 baht car looks like.

And generally if it keeps working well for you.. If it does (with the occasional maintenance of course) then I'm further strengthened in the belief that buying a new .5-1 million baht car in Thailand is lunacy. :D

492085721_8a2ca9d186_o.jpg

Here is a pic!!

Got your message a little too late Scott mate! Garage has their hands on it at the moment. Feeding it Petrol didn't work. :o

For info, the car runs great (apart from yesterday and today!),and happily cruises at 100kmph, and have had it happily up to 120/130 kmph.

Cheers all, I'll keep you updated on its fate!

Phil

492085721_8a2ca9d186_o.jpg

Here is a pic!!

Got your message a little too late Scott mate! Garage has their hands on it at the moment. Feeding it Petrol didn't work. :o

For info, the car runs great (apart from yesterday and today!),and happily cruises at 100kmph, and have had it happily up to 120/130 kmph.

Cheers all, I'll keep you updated on its fate!

Phil

i'm impressed phil, where did you find it at??? i am in the market for something around 50k. nissan sunny seems a good bet but mostly areound 70k for a decent one.

i'm impressed phil, where did you find it at??? i am in the market for something around 50k. nissan sunny seems a good bet but mostly areound 70k for a decent one.

I got it from a friend so I can't really help as to where you could find one. I did however shop around a lot, and for 30k you have to do a lot of shopping to find something half decent!

Cheers

Phil

I'm impressed too.. That just looks very nice. Even if you have to throw a couple thousand baht at it in maintenance every couple of months, that still beats 8000-12000 baht monthly payments on a new car!

The best place to get you car fixed is at Toyota place Niyom Panich on Mahidol Rd.

I agree with you but I have found that they don't like working on the older models and this one is definitely in that category. Part of their problem is spare parts and the other is that the car is older than most of the mechanics working there.

CB

The best place to get you car fixed is at Toyota place Niyom Panich on Mahidol Rd.

I agree with you but I have found that they don't like working on the older models and this one is definitely in that category. Part of their problem is spare parts and the other is that the car is older than most of the mechanics working there.

CB

Up until 6 years ago, I had an old Toyota and I always took my car to them. Never a problem with anyone there, and never a problem replacing parts...

Hi all,

Just got it back from the Garage bloke behind Laguna village, San Sai.

Turns out it was the little metal thingy with the wire coming off it!

400 Baht, runs like a dream! And they even fixed my buggered seatbelt clasp!

So, old cars never die!

Cheers

Phil

Hi all,

Just got it back from the Garage bloke behind Laguna village, San Sai.

Turns out it was the little metal thingy with the wire coming off it!

400 Baht, runs like a dream! And they even fixed my buggered seatbelt clasp!

So, old cars never die!

Cheers

Phil

The "little metal thingy with the wire coming off it" well that narrows down the fields - the engine? the coil? the radio antenae? :o

Pleased you got if back on line and at 400B a bargain

CB

Another thing I noticed on the car is the original/old license plate, and Chiang Mai plates at that. That means someone in Chiang Mai bought the thing originally, and as owning a car in those days must have been a pretty big deal they will have taken care of it very well. I always like to see old Chiang Mai plates on senior cars, those starting with the very first letter of the Thai alphabet. When I see a car with a plate like ก-0005 it always reminds me that there was a time when you could count the total number of cars in Chiang Mai on the fingers of a couple of hands.. :o

I love old cars, even young guys just starting work are entitled to a car. Most Australians kick off with a Holden approximately the same age as themselves. (Fords rarely last that long.)

Actually when I read the OP I immediately thought of the taxis that run between the Friendship Bridge and Vientiane in the Lao PDR. Plenty of early model Toyotas there, unfortunately not quite as well maintained.