3 Party System in the USA?

Watching the disgusting scenes outside the Capitol Building in Washington tonight as I write - I would like to ask our US members if its possible that the US will have a 3 party system in the not too distant future?  I know nothing of US politics or whether a 3 party system is even allowed but it seems to me that Trump has created a situation where there can no longer be just 2 parties.

His own son gave a speech where he said "this is no longer your Republican Party, its the Trump Republican Party".  Trump gave a speech in which he dissed his own Vice President, Mike Pence.  Many Republicans including congress members, some of them previously ardent Trump supporters, gave interviews where they stated that the situation in Washington is outrageous and called on Trump to ask the protestors to step down.

Its well known that the US population is divided and Trump seems to revel in making that situation worse by 'whipping up' his supporters but it seems that divisons are now growing within the Republican Party itself as more and more Republicans are prepared to speak out against Trump .  I'm sure this will all be sorted out, the democratic process will continue and Joe Biden will be inaugurated as President but what then?

Has Trump not now created his own downfall?  If at the end of all this the Republican Party splits then surely divided, neither one of them can possibly win enough votes to win a future election?  Is this a possibility?

Edited by KhaoYai