Is It Legal To Own A Gun?

I've read many posts on these forums about the rising crime against people, businesses and homes and was wondering if it is legal to own or possess a gun in Thailand? Not just for personal use , but for for a business as well.

Joey

I've read many posts on these forums about the rising crime against people, businesses and homes and was wondering if it is legal to own or possess a gun in Thailand? Not just for personal use , but for for a business as well.

Joey

Unless you are a Thai national, definitely not.The only way is if you are a member of a shooting club & then the permits are very hard to obtain & the rules are strict.

Edited by Rooo

Joey

Unless you are a Thai national, definitely not.The only way is if you are a member of a shooting club & then the permits are very hard to obtain & the rules are strict.

Roo,are you saying that it could be possible to own a handgun if you are not a Thai national?maybe this is possible buy joining the local gun club and purchasing one through them,but i would think that the gun would not be able to leave the club,which makes sense,would like to know more on this.

Joey

Roo,are you saying that it could be possible to own a handgun if you are not a Thai national?maybe this is possible buy joining the local gun club and purchasing one through them,but i would think that the gun would not be able to leave the club,which makes sense,would like to know more on this.

That is my understanding Pike.There was an in depth discussion about this subject on the general forum, I will try & find the link .

Joey

this topic is always touchy and so I suggest everyone tread lightly

short answer is no you can't

long answer is yes you can - I have a pistol and long rifle licenses here

As a farung with a non imm visa who is a member of a registered/licensed gun club you may apply with a large amount of supporting documentation and the assistance of the club for your license which will allow you to shoot at the club. You can purchase firearms but they must be kept either at the home of a Thai national with the appropriate license or as I do at the club. You cannot carry it in the street or transport it in a vehicle unless you are going directly to or returning from a shoot at the club. You may take it for an invitational shoot at another club but be careful doing so.

Bottom line is if you enjoy target shooting at the club you can have a license with a lot of effort. If you want one at home for "personal protection" don't even think about it because if you get caught or actually use it you will be in a world of sh#t with the police.

There are some very special situations of some farung involved with large amounts of money and/or gold that have been granted licenses to carry handguns for personal protection. There have also been a small number of licenses issued to teachers in the southern states under the old Taksin option for teachers to purchase and carry fireams for personal protection. These are exceptions and not the rule and require a magistrates ruling for the local police commander to allow.

The link to the most recent thread is firearms

CB

yes i agrea if i was a ligit business man. i would not feel confortable carring cases with millions of baht around with out some sorte of protection.

i would not trust a body guard on a 10 000 baht a month wage. i would rarther have a legal pistol of my own.

if i was in a business which inlved large amounts cash then i would like to own a legal gun. speacially in the banks they are not very disgreat about handing over large cash.

also workers can turn on there boss. i would like for peice of minde as a forang on my own that if a situation arose i could fire a shot up in there air and ask people to calme down.

i am interested in this discussion

Edited by BigC

i did send my bird back to esaan to apply for one. yet the govement would not give it oo her becuase she was a girl even though her uncle worked for the govement.

through out 1 week they kept saying yes yes yes. no problem. last day they said no. then she came back

Are you drunk? This is the second posting that barely makes any sense.

sorry that was an expetionaly bad typo. even i had to laugh at that. i mean can a forang police man or woman own a gun

Are you drunk? This is the second posting that barely makes any sense.

We definitely need "spell-check" on this forum!

i wouldn't bother using it. as long as people understand what i say then people can slag mme off all they want about spelling. i just get annoyed when people want to pick out spelling mistake rarther than answer the question.

that one about the forang police being able to win guns was a stupid mistake. but that would have passed a spell check. the mistake just made it not make sense.