Briton Arrested For Bringing Cocaine From Thailand Into Australia

sriracha john

Alleged drug courier facing 25 year jail term

MELBOURNE: A 50-year-old British national has been charged after attempting to internally smuggle approximately 300 grams of cocaine into Australia following a joint Australian Federal Police (AFP) and Customs operation.

The man was stopped by customs officers when he arrived at Melbourne International Airport on a flight from Thailand on Wednesday May 2.

Customs officers became suspicious that he may have been concealing drugs internally. He was referred to the AFP and taken to hospital for a medical examination.

The man later passed 38 pellets, weighing about 300 grams in total, containing a white powder, which presumptive tests indicated was cocaine.

The AFP charged the man with importing and possessing a marketable quantity of a border-controlled drug. The man could face a $550,000 fine and/or 25 years jail.

The man is expected to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today.

- Whyalla News

passed pellets of cocaine.

now there is something for the family to be proud of.

50 year old mule. Sitting in the tank. Beautiful.

Yeah - just the sort of substance you want to snort <not>

I have absolutely no sympathy for him and my preference would have been to have aprehended him in Thailand to face Thai law not Australian.

CB

Agreed CB. He was very lucky he was apprehended on the Australian part of his journey, not the Thai. You'd think by the age of 50, he'd know better. My guess is he'd run into financial difficulties here & smuggling drugs in his gastrointestinal tract seemed a good solution...:o:D

I have absolutely no sympathy for him and my preference would have been to have aprehended him in Thailand to face Thai law not Australian.

CB

In Thailand if he was connected enough he may well have been able to buy his way out, or pay enough to a special kind of lawyer and get a lighter sentence than he will get in Australia.

Anyone who finds himself in a situation where he will risk smuggling class 'A' drugs through international borders will have his own story to tell.

It's so easy to sit behind a computer passing judgements on people without knowing why people do these things, and of course, we would all like to think that we would never ever do such a thing, I bet he once thought like that also.

I for one will not pass judgement, just thank god that I'm not in that situation myself.

Edited by Maigo6

Agreed CB. He was very lucky he was apprehended on the Australian part of his journey, not the Thai. You'd think by the age of 50, he'd know better. My guess is he'd run into financial difficulties here & smuggling drugs in his gastrointestinal tract seemed a good solution...:o:D

Well the drugs he was caught with obviously did not start their journey in Thailand or a country bordering Thailand - wonder where he came in the connection

Obviously transiting Thailand is preferred to transiting Singapore because here they would hang him if caught

Obviously transiting Thailand is preferred to transiting Singapore because here they would hang him if caught

That's the reason that people probably DO use Singapore for transit purposes.

Planes arriving from Singapore probably attract less customs attention than arrivals from Thailand.

Edited by Maigo6

That's the reason that people probably DO use Singapore for transit purposes.

Planes arriving from Singapore probably attract less customs attention than arrivals from Thailand.

Yes planes arriving in the 3rd country from Singapore are probably less likely to be scrutinised.

However - most of these people are grassed up - many by their associates - grassing up in singapore would have dire consequences.

I bet Singapore's screening and profiling is also way ahead of somewhere like Thailands

I know most mules are not thinking rationally by the time they agree then go on to do this but surely even the dumbest would not willingly pass through Singapore - I know they do but how small a % of the otal passing through SE Asia?

The man later passed 38 pellets, weighing about 300 grams in total, containing a white powder, which presumptive tests indicated was cocaine.
Can anyone help me with the question just what exactly are "presumptive tests"? Yes we can presume that any white powder carried in sachets in a person's stomach is an illegal substance but cocaine is only one possibility.
Customs officers became suspicious that he may have been concealing drugs internally. He was referred to the AFP and taken to hospital for a medical examination.

Tip off from the BiB? :o

It's so easy to sit behind a computer passing judgements on people without knowing why people do these things, and of course, we would all like to think that we would never ever do such a thing, I bet he once thought like that also.
Agreed Maigo6, we often are too quick on the "hang 'em high" bandwagon. Sometimes maybe we need to sit back and think "there but for the grace of god go I".
Well the drugs he was caught with obviously did not start their journey in Thailand or a country bordering Thailand - wonder where he came in the connection

What's your basis for that presumption? Thailand is awash with illegal substances.

I would have thought, as far as he's concerned, the drugs did emanate from Thailand. The journey time from one country through Thailand to a third would make it more likely nature would take it's course in an inconvenient location. Maybe, however, that's how they collared him, he was busting for a sh1t.

Can anyone help me with the question just what exactly are "presumptive tests"? Yes we can presume that any white powder carried in sachets in a person's stomach is an illegal substance but cocaine is only one possibility.

Presumptive tests are quick screening tests used in the field (not wholly dissimilar to preliminary urine drug tests). They are not qualitative enough to be used for legal purposes in court, so follow-on, more specific testing is done on them in labs. Each major drug classification has their own quick, screening test... for example, cocaine typically turns blue when it reacts to its specific reagent in the test tube.

Perhaps he stood out from the crowd physically (eg. doubled-over from cramping) or inappropriately perspiring profusely or a few other profiling-type symptoms that Customs officers would be on the look-out for. Typically, if someone has been arrested due to a tip, the report will state that specifically.

What's your basis for that presumption? Thailand is awash with illegal substances.

I would have thought, as far as he's concerned, the drugs did emanate from Thailand. The journey time from one country through Thailand to a third would make it more likely nature would take it's course in an inconvenient location. Maybe, however, that's how they collared him, he was busting for a sh1t.

Cocaine is not cultivated in Thailand, nor elsewhere in the immediate area. Cocaine in Thailand is imported from the South American nations as well as, more recently, from African nations. It's not to say that he came through directly on a flight from those continents. He may have received it and been here for awhile before attempting to fly it into Australia.

Edited by sriracha john

Maybe they snorted a cheeky line?

Mules wouldn't want to be using Singapore as a transit point. They hung an Aussie last year who was "just in transit" The PM was quoted as saying that Singapore would not be used as a hub and anyone caught in possesion of drugs within the transit area would be treated the same as if caught in Singapore itself.

Mules wouldn't want to be using Singapore as a transit point. They hung an Aussie last year who was "just in transit" The PM was quoted as saying that Singapore would not be used as a hub and anyone caught in possesion of drugs within the transit area would be treated the same as if caught in Singapore itself.

the jails are full of 50 something men they look in the mirror see an old fat balding guy and think whos going to stop me at customs .a wasted life is all he can look forward too now ,25 years out in maybe 15 just in time to draw his pension :o

Agreed Maigo6, we often are too quick on the "hang 'em high" bandwagon. Sometimes maybe we need to sit back and think "there but for the grace of god go I".

Coke is grown and produced where in the region - not a presumption but a fact

He may have picked them up in Thailand but they did not start their journey from there

He may have picked them up in Thailand but they did not start their journey from there

I think that he meant the Coke was in Bangkok already, then people are found that are willing to take the risk as a courier.

Yes, Coke is not from Thailand, but there is Coke in Thailand.

White westerners willing to take risks can easily be found in Thailand, many are broke and desperate, maybe on the run from their own country, will do anything to prolong the stay in Thailand...etc etc.

Ideal place to recruit couriers I would imagine.

I think that he meant the Coke was in Bangkok already, then people are found that are willing to take the risk as a courier.

White westerners willing to take risks can easily be found in Thailand, many are broke and desperate, maybe on the run from their own country, will do anything to prolong the stay in Thailand...etc etc.

It is an ideal place as you say- read Sandra Gregory's book and it tells how she was recruited.

A bar owner I know tells me he often see's certain guys around looking for people down on their luck - he does not know what for but being a mule could be one - he has been around 25 years so has seen plenty

Just as some will work a shitty job they hate for 20k a month to stay in Thailand others will risk a very long sentence ;-(

Perhaps he stood out from the crowd physically (eg. doubled-over from cramping) or inappropriately perspiring profusely or a few other profiling-type symptoms that Customs officers would be on the look-out for.

Maybe one of the capsules had broken and released cocain into his system.

Cocaine is not cultivated in Thailand, nor elsewhere in the immediate area. Cocaine in Thailand is imported from the South American nations as well as, more recently, from African nations. It's not to say that he came through directly on a flight from those continents. He may have received it and been here for awhile before attempting to fly it into Australia.

As if, on cue...

Peruvians drug dealers were arrested in Phuket with 1.6 kilograms of drugs in their stomach

Two Peruvian nationals were brought for questioning at Phuket City police station after they were arrested with about 1.6 kilograms of cocaine. The arrest took place after the Thai Anti- Narcotic police were informed of overseas drug dealers attempting to smuggle drugs into Thailand through Phuket International Airport. They were reported to have planned to send the drugs to Bangkok and the island’s tourist attractions. On May 8th the two suspects traveled by flight MH 786 to the airport and acted suspiciously. Police then asked to X-ray them. The initial result showed abnormal objects so they were sent to Wachira Hospital in Phuket City where they let out as much as 1.6 kilograms of cocaine which was worth around 4 million baht.

- ThaiNews

• 4 weeks later...

030607_pers09.jpg

Two Thai women and two Nigerian men arrested with 450 grammes of cocaine in a raid on an apartment in Bangkok on 13 March of this year. The raid was a result of cooperation between the Narcotics Suppression Bureau and the US Drug Enforcement Agency. The drug was found in a box shipped from the US. Neither Nigerian had a passport at the time of the arrest.

Bangkok Post

COCA POWDER BLOWING INTO THAILAND

The smuggling and consumption of cocaine is on the rise, even though it must be imported from distant South America and it costs much more than any other type of drug available in the country. Judging from a "market survey" conducted by a European male and female and a Thai woman a few days ago, cocaine is not hard to find on the streets of Bangkok. On their quest to find the illicit substance, the three spoke to people employed in bars, pubs, lounges and discos along Silom, Ratchadaphisek, Phetchburi and Sukhumvit roads.

The Thai lady also had no problem finding the right people to satisfy a craving for the white powder. Some people told her that cocaine is served in a number of entertainment places mixed in soft drinks. This method is apparently used because it makes it is very hard for police to arrest anyone, she was told.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Perspective/03Jun2007_pers00.php

Take alook at this dude, came to pattaya with his fiance and daughter in 02,( the details of him are incorrect, he was on a false passport ,hes actualy 33,) went completly off the rails took up with a busy bg, he was smuggling ,he took back her motor bike after a fight and she grassed him, here is the result ! This is a paragraph written by iris baker on behalf of john to her local MP, "I want to let you know Sir that far too many young people are detained in prisons around the world, not because they are bad people or criminals but because they have been stupid and very unlucky or just made a bad decision. How often in all our lives have we made a bad judgement, luckily most of us get away with this and walk away having learnt a valuable lesson." http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/...ohn_watson.html Edited by mikethevigoman

This is a paragraph written by his mother to her local MP, "I want to let you know Sir that far too many young people are detained in prisons around the world, not because they are bad people or criminals but because they have been stupid and very unlucky or just made a bad decision. How often in all our lives have we made a bad judgement, luckily most of us get away with this and walk away having learnt a valuable lesson."

Mike, that letter is From Iris Baker, Nick Bakers Mother......

Nick Baker got a 14 years sentence in Japan for smuggling Cocaine and Ecstacy, he got caught at Narita Airport with the drugs in a false bottomed suitcase.

Edited by Maigo6

This is a paragraph written by his mother to her local MP, "I want to let you know Sir that far too many young people are detained in prisons around the world, not because they are bad people or criminals but because they have been stupid and very unlucky or just made a bad decision. How often in all our lives have we made a bad judgement, luckily most of us get away with this and walk away having learnt a valuable lesson."

Mike, that letter is From Iris Baker, Nick Bakers Mother......

Nick Baker got a 14 years sentence in Japan for smuggling Cocaine and Ecstacy, he got gaught at Narita Airport with the drugs in a false bottomed suitcase.

sorry i have amended it, it was written by nicks mother on johns behalf i beleive,

About the british courier caught: he's only a dummy "little-fish".

Thailand is the most bigger Hub in Asia-Pacific for illegal trades (1st weapons, 2nd opius and other drugs).

Only big criminal organizations are able to manage ( low-risk) the market.

Probably his dealer reported to the Authority (Customs) the abuse and in the meantime gave the green-light to some big-fish.....

Never bargain your life for drugs !

Manu

The drugs are flowing... too bad we don't have Thaksin to murder a few thousand innocents and declare Thailand is a drug-free country again:

phpe9Yqfk.jpg

Tan Lye Huat with Thai Police

Channel News Asia

Singaporean arrested in Thailand for smuggling ecstasy pills

THAILAND: A 61-year-old Singaporean has been arrested for trying to smuggle drugs into Thailand.

Tan Lye Huat was nabbed with nearly 10,000 ecstasy pills at the Sadao Border Checkpoint in Thailand's southern province of Songkhla.

The drugs have a street value of about S$370,000 (= 8,384,509 Thai Baht) and were found hidden in his luggage.

Tan has been charged with smuggling an illicit drug into the kingdom.

Thai Police say he has confessed to smuggling ecstasy into the country three times.

- Channel News Asia

The drugs are flowing... too bad we don't have Thaksin to murder a few thousand innocents and declare Thailand is a drug-free country again:

phpe9Yqfk.jpg

Tan Lye Huat with Thai Police

Channel News Asia

Singaporean arrested in Thailand for smuggling ecstasy pills

THAILAND: A 61-year-old Singaporean has been arrested for trying to smuggle drugs into Thailand.

Tan Lye Huat was nabbed with nearly 10,000 ecstasy pills at the Sadao Border Checkpoint in Thailand's southern province of Songkhla.

The drugs have a street value of about S$370,000 (= 8,384,509 Thai Baht) and were found hidden in his luggage.

Tan has been charged with smuggling an illicit drug into the kingdom.

Thai Police say he has confessed to smuggling ecstasy into the country three times.

- Channel News Asia

From singapore ,.suicide mule is it !

Last time I was in Australia the only missing thing was this....as they check my bags with x-ray, dogs sniffing, every singles piece of clothes, etc, etc....I asked why, and they told me "becuase you have been too many times in Thailand...mate!"...(certainly they could not say "becuase you are a bloody &lt;deleted&gt; mate! :D ).

I know what I should expect from customs on my next trip to Australia....go for a big sh*it mate, wanna check what have you eaten!...

They are a real pain in the azz, and now with this, they are a real pain in the azz.... with moral authority! :o

CB

In Thailand if he was connected enough he may well have been able to buy his way out, or pay enough to a special kind of lawyer and get a lighter sentence than he will get in Australia.

Anyone who finds himself in a situation where he will risk smuggling class 'A' drugs through international borders will have his own story to tell.

I for one will not pass judgement, just thank god that I'm not in that situation myself.

Ah, it's fine Maigo if you don't want to pass judgement on this idiot. The problem is that he "passed" a whole lot of cocaine through his system. Perhaps his excuse is that he thought those cocaine packets were Swedish meatballs.