House Blessing - Appropriate Gift

miltonbentley

Bring a big smile and a wallet loaded with cash - and when the time come offer to treat .

or buy some of the beer .

:o

simple and direct is alway the best .

i move house more then 15 time in my life so far . hmm maybe 17 .

and had many gift , i have great thanks to those who buy me gift but - i had also alot of stuff which i stack up as junk .

cash is king

We went to one on Monday...my Wife said 500 Baht in an envelope would do the trick.

When we had our house blessing many people that came gave money.

Saves worrying about what to buy......Thais like CASH...um so do I for that matter.

Where I live some money in an envelope is the only appropriate thing to bring if you are an invited guest. if you are a member of the family helping out with the preparations then, by all means, bring food to be prepared. Otherwise, money in an envelope with your name written on it in blue ink (not black).

Unless they are a well-to-do family or close relatives, 500 baht seems a bit high to me. I'd give 300.

An envelope with some cash is the traditional gift in Thai villages. Many just give a small amount to help cover of the cost of the ceremony and cost of food. Others give several hundred baht. Big friends, big ceremonies, and big houses, the amounts are higher but some gift is appropriate.

Bring a gall bladder from either a cow, kwai, or pig....and some string. Hang a piece of it above every doorway going into the house. The Thai word for "gall bladder" is "dee"....the Thai word for "good" is also "dee".....this way every time someone enters or leaves the house they will see the gall bladder and think or say "dee"...which means "good" and this way everyone will be giving the house a blessing every time they enter or leave.

At least this is what is done up here in the north.

Also, a picture of H.M. the King or H. M. the Queen or one of Rama V is a good present for a house warming.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Thank you all that has sorted me out nicely.

Austthaied you win but I won't be takinbg your advice - far too precious!

True. You can bring it round to my place instead.. :o

You can come and pick it up and part with the readies too!

Tonight? I have decided not to drive so will be looking to sink a few!

Edited by miltonbentley

Thank you all that has sorted me out nicely.

Austthaied you win but I won't be takinbg your advice - far too precious!

True. You can bring it round to my place instead.. :o

You can come and pick it up and part with the readies too!

Tonight? I have decided not to drive so will be looking to sink a few!

Sorry, Aussie Rules on tonight.. But tomorrow lots of bubble heads will be invading a place called Tuskers..We are all home at the same time for a change. Could be dangerous.. :D

Back on topic. We had our house blessed (tamboon baan) a few years ago and the guests all put money in envelopes and give it to the head monk..That was it, no gifts at all.. Hope this helps. AT.

Hi,

The usual appropriate gift is 10,000 Baht or 20 cases of Beer Lao.

I am having a housewarming soon. Want to come? Anyone? :o

Phil

If this is what you are ofering, count me in for three!