Tiger

kiakaha

Tiger was awarded honorary Thai citizenship by royal decree.He just doesn't use his thai citizenship. He also has an honorary degree from a thai university.

I remember reading somewhere that another reason for Thais not liking him was his attitude towards this degree or the attitude he showed when recieving the degree. I can't remember what he actually did, but apparently is was not to polite in the eyes of the Thais................

Rather than go and receive it at a university ceremony, he had them come and present it at his hotel. Though to be fair, there was quite a lot of criticism of the university (not sure, was it Kasetsart?) for awarding it in the first place - it looked a lot like jumping on the publicity bandwagon.

I think you are correct, Kasetsart.

Tiger was awarded honorary Thai citizenship by royal decree.He just doesn't use his thai citizenship. He also has an honorary degree from a thai university.

I remember reading somewhere that another reason for Thais not liking him was his attitude towards this degree or the attitude he showed when recieving the degree. I can't remember what he actually did, but apparently is was not to polite in the eyes of the Thais................

Rather than go and receive it at a university ceremony, he had them come and present it at his hotel. Though to be fair, there was quite a lot of criticism of the university (not sure, was it Kasetsart?) for awarding it in the first place - it looked a lot like jumping on the publicity bandwagon.

I think you are correct, Kasetsart.

Besides arriving late for the cermony, Tiger showed up in his casual out fit, after being presented the reward, out he went.

The whole time was less than 20 mns.

So much for Thailand prestige Kasetsart Univ.

Remember when they tried to woo him, offering him a Thai passport?

He turned them down

One of my Thai friends told me that Tiger approached this issue before he became a megastar and the Thais weren't interested.

I was thinking the same thing, here the man is a great college player and the Thais give him no recognition, then when he hits it big as a pro, all of a sudden he is thai..He is no fool he knows when someone is trying to ride on his back and that is exactly how thailand treated him; as an avenue to promote themselves and as for the degree, he had to be laughing, he had just graduated from STANFORD one of the best universities in the world. IMHO Thailand played him all wrong and he did not buy in to their weak efforts to embrace him.

Exactly correct.Didn't Tiger have a problem with the Land Ownership thingie as well?

next ?.

is their some kind of conspiracy re: using tiger in ad campaigns?

im sure some mainstream compnay like mcdonalds, would love to use him. they use him in other countries.

or does thailand just dont want to be bothered with the rest of the world.

1. Not everyone wants to be an American; besides which there is also the concept called dual nationality. Of course there are a few people like Bill Heineke that actually renounce being Americans to avoid the taxes

Most people don't want to be Americans

Tiger Woods??

Seems some people have forgotten about that part of the thread.

Start up with the anti-american bashing and there will be a few more holidays passed out too :o

1. Not everyone wants to be an American; besides which there is also the concept called dual nationality. Of course there are a few people like Bill Heineke that actually renounce being Americans to avoid the taxes

Most people don't want to be Americans

"Tiger Woods??

Seems some people have forgotten about that part of the thread."

All I can say about Tiger is that he is a legend. He will be the best golfer ever by the time he has retired, thats if he allready hasn't done enough to earn this status allready. I have to admit, lately, his game has gone slightly down hill, but that can be understood. But, after his appearance at the master, he is right back on track to win the USA open, I think he has only won one US open in the past. He does not intimidate the rest of the field as he may of done in the past, but he is still the best by a long shot, especially if he puts his mind to it. Not to many others golfers have the consistancy that he has as well.................... one of the best athlets of all time.

Edited by aussiestyle1983

He turned them down

He did not even turn up for his honorary degree when in Thailand on a tour - they had to go to his hotel for a hastily convened photo session with embarrassed looks all round.

It was said he did not want anything for the way the Thai's had treat his mother over the years

He turned them down

He did not even turn up for his honorary degree when in Thailand on a tour - they had to go to his hotel for a hastily convened photo session with embarrassed looks all round.

It was said he did not want anything for the way the Thai's had treat his mother over the years

as another poster said about dressing casually. i think he was weraing a floral hawaiian style shirt, that did not go down to well when they actually gave him the degree, can't rememebr where it was though, it looked like it was on a stage........

He turned them down

as another poster said about dressing casually. i think he was weraing a floral hawaiian style shirt, that did not go down to well when they actually gave him the degree, can't rememebr where it was though, it looked like it was on a stage........

What year was it?

I think IMG brought him over for the Johnny Walker Classic

A pal at the time was working for them. British people would know the name as his dad owns a rather large footie club

here we go.............

It was during the Johnny Walker Classic BTW

"Golfing wonder Tiger Woods receives an honorary doctorate in sports science from Paitoon Ingsuwan, vice-chairman of Kasetsart University Council, during a ceremony at a Bangkok hotel yesterday."

"What does it take to get a degree?

I have nothing against Kasetsart University or Tiger Woods, but I find it a bit disheartening to see an institution so readily recognised, award a person a degree for the simple reason that he is a world renowned athlete. What value does Kasetsart University put on its degrees? Yes, it may be true that Tiger Woods sets up golf clinics for youths, but what about the numerous other Thai citizens who sacrifice so much to help Thai people, though their actions may not be seen in the limelight of the media (and therefore are not recognised)? Is this Kasetsart's claim to fame? How does Tiger Woods feel about accepting this award? How does this reflect upon the values of Thai society?"

post-27248-1178944258_thumb.jpg