Great Sandwiches And Burgers In Bangkok?

This ought to be interesting, so where can you find the best sandwiches and burgers in Bangkok?

As far as sandwiches go, I'm almost clueless, but the Garden Cafe (or whatever it's called) in the Landmark Hotel does a semi-decent Reuben. That's it. Please don't say Subway. Subway is to the sandwich as Burger King or McDonald's is to the burger. And I don't like what I call '<deleted>-<deleted>' sandwiches like those served at Snax in Amarin Plaza or even snobbier at The Oriental Hotel Shop.

The Hard Rock Cafe has some decent ones, but it's a tourist trap and has the stench of the party the night before as well as jaded staff.

As far as burgers go, and I've been just about everywhere, my top three are (in no particular order): Tony Roma's, The Londoner Brew Pub and The Outback Steakhouse.

11 years in the 'Kok and still searching.

This ought to be interesting, so where can you find the best sandwiches and burgers in Bangkok?

As far as sandwiches go, I'm almost clueless, but the Garden Cafe (or whatever it's called) in the Landmark Hotel does a semi-decent Reuben. That's it. Please don't say Subway. Subway is to the sandwich as Burger King or McDonald's is to the burger. And I don't like what I call '<deleted>-<deleted>' sandwiches like those served at Snax in Amarin Plaza or even snobbier at The Oriental Hotel Shop.

The Hard Rock Cafe has some decent ones, but it's a tourist trap and has the stench of the party the night before as well as jaded staff.

As far as burgers go, and I've been just about everywhere, my top three are (in no particular order): Tony Roma's, The Londoner Brew Pub and The Outback Steakhouse.

11 years in the 'Kok and still searching.

The Office soi 33 used to do a great burger, sangers were ok as well..

There are LOTS of really good sandwiches in Bangkok including overly expensive ones at Starbucks and more reasonable ones at the sandwich shop in front of the Marriot.

The best burgers for the money are at The Big Mango in Nana plaza and they go down great with a Beer Lao. Tony Roma's burgers are 300 baht and I can a decent steak for that elsewhere, so I haven't tried them.

There are LOTS of really good sandwiches in Bangkok including overly expensive ones at Starbucks and more reasonable ones at the sandwich shop in front of the Marriot.

The best burgers for the money are at The Big Mango in Nana plaza and they go down great with a Beer Lao. Tony Roma's burgers are 300 baht and I can a decent steak for that elsewhere, so I haven't tried them.

So The Office Bar in Soi 33 used to do a great burger? You mean they don't anymore? I have had some decent Aussie-style burgers, but never a great one.

As I'm a Yank, and without being patriotic, I know that Americans do the best burgers and sandwiches. If you'll click on the link below, you'll, hopefully, understand what I mean, although you can’t physically see the burgers unless you physically have the magazine. I think it’s from June 2005.

http://men.style.com/gq/features/full?id=content_2526

The article was originally written in GQ Magazine in July of 2005 I believe. At the end of the day, there’s no way of saying what the best burger is, but it’s definitely possible to know the difference between quality and crap. Quality wins ever time. All burgers are different: some have different-sized meat patties, different meat-to-fat ratios, some use different cooking methods, construction methods, some add spices to the meat etc. But some people just aren’t real foodies, so they’ll never really know. That’s ok.

As far as Starbucks goes, why would you want to have sandwich there? They specialize in coffee. I don't know exactly what to infer from your mentioning them, but if you think those are good sandwiches, then all I can say is that I respect your right to have an opinion.

As far as the sandwiches go at the Bangkok Baking Co. in the M hotel, or whatever it's called, I still consider those <deleted>-<deleted> sandwiches. They have a European flair to them and they all seem to come with butter. Again, I think Americans make the best sandwiches. It’s like this: The English invented sandwiches, but Americans made them better. And Americans invented rock ‘n’ roll, but the English made it better.

If you go to Tony Roma's Express in The Emporium, the burger is a little over 200 Baht. The other burgers that I have mentioned are very expensive (300 ++), but you get what you pay for in life, at least for good farang food here in the 'Kok. I have had the burger at The Big Mango Bar and consider it mediocre at best. If you have those burgers that I have mentioned, you'll notice a higher level of overall quality of all the ingredients: bun, meat, condiments, and you'll notice the method of its construction.

I don't know about you guys, but I live to eat, and I'm always searching for F&B establishments that make me come back either the next day or at least once a week; places that are consistent, value for money, etc. and make me want to tell other people about them: word-of-mouth. They don’t even have to have great service or ambience, although that definitely helps. I find this to be rare here in the 'Kok, but easier to do regarding Thai food, for obvious reasons of course.

So The Office Bar in Soi 33 used to do a great burger? You mean they don't anymore? I have had some decent Aussie-style burgers, but never a great one.

Meaning i haven't been for a while wise guy..

You haven't lived until you have had a true Aussie burger.. Snap frozen yankee stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Meaning i haven't been for a while wise guy..

You haven't lived until you have had a true Aussie burger.. Snap frozen yankee stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Now that I think about it, when you write 'used to' in that sense, it could mean the last time you were there, so I apologize for that.

I assume a sanger is a sandwich, and if you use the adjective 'ok' that spells death in the restaurant biz. 'Good' is better, but owners really want to hear marvelous, outstanding, fantastic etc. That's what brings people back and spreads the word.

I don't know if you clicked on that link, but those burgers are definitely not frozen and you can know from what I have written that I do not like the global American fastfood burger franchises that use frozen 'food'.

I think I had a real Aussie burger here, with a slice of beet on it, and didn't like it. Or what's a real Aussie burger and where can I find one here in the 'Kok?

But since you're Aussie and were raised eating burgers prepared in a certain style, I'm sure you like them that way, and that's fine.

JR Texas: Wish I knew of one place that served a real hamburger at a decent price, but do not know of one in all of Thailand. The best sandwich in Thailand (not Bangkok, not hamburger, so getting off topic) is, I think, served across from the railroad depot in Nong Khai. There is a sign that says beigets.....the Thai woman that makes them gets fresh bread each day from Lao (wonderful) and real smoked ham made by a farang in Thailand. She makes homemade mayonnaise and it is all served warm. It is beyond delicious. Try it if you have go to Lao via Nong Khai.

Back in my country, the nation of Texas, we have great ground round and use that to make grilled hamburgers........thick and juicy and cooked to perfection. Sometimes we put strips of bacon on top. And sometimes grilled onions and some good cheese............oh.........I am hungry!

Sandwiches at the JW Marriotts not make the cut?

Gee wiz.. ...fresh breads, bagels, croissants, muffins, a variety of imported meats and cheeses.

Vegatarian choices too. Do want that toasted???

Hamburger prepared to Mr. Marriotts personal specifications...ground up fresh on the premises, piled with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato & onion... expert chefs preparing it exactly to order.

Eat indoors or on the shaded patio, service with a smile.

The prices are pretty easy to swallow too.

I like.

JR Texas: Wish I knew of one place that served a real hamburger at a decent price, but do not know of one in all of Thailand.

The best by a land slide American style hamburger I have had in Bangkok is at the Bus Stop. Sukhumvit Soi 4. Bacon cheeseburger 90baht. They tast sooo good, exactly the way they would back home (in the U.S that is). They don't use those tasteless beef preformed patties. I've tried many in BKK and think they win by far as the juiciest with the most flavor.

Others have recommended the food cart stationed right outside of Nana Plaza. As far as I am concerned, they were a littlebit tasteless and lacking in home-grown quality flavor.

A REAL hamburger is 100 percent beef. Some of the hamburgers people have raved about taste like sausage to me. They put all sorts of spices and fillers in the meat to hide the taste of whatever road kill they are made from.

The best hamburger I have found in all of Thailand came from Bangkok. If you walk from Soi 4 (Nana) towards the expressway, it is on the soi 4 side, a block or so up on the same side of the road. It is easy to find. I think the name is Bully's. It is a big place and looks western cowboy styled.

The Next2 at the Shangri-La in Bangkok appears to have nice burgers. I didn't try it. But, I did try the steak with a baked potato. The steak was too thin but the potato with the garnishes was excellent.

Also, the French onion soup is top drawer. As is the cream of cauliflower soup.

However, I think that the restaurant's buffet is the best buy.

JR Texas: Wish I knew of one place that served a real hamburger at a decent price, but do not know of one in all of Thailand.

The best by a land slide American style hamburger I have had in Bangkok is at the Bus Stop. Sukhumvit Soi 4. Bacon cheeseburger 90baht. They tast sooo good, exactly the way they would back home (in the U.S that is). They don't use those tasteless beef preformed patties. I've tried many in BKK and think they win by far as the juiciest with the most flavor.

Others have recommended the food cart stationed right outside of Nana Plaza. As far as I am concerned, they were a littlebit tasteless and lacking in home-grown quality flavor.

Have you tried the Garage in All Seasons Place? The burgers their are expensive (and the bun needs some work), but the meat is really, really good. They have something called a heartattack burger (or similar, I have not been their in a while), that is litterally death on a bun with all the cheese and bacon ect, ect. The fries are large cut, but they don't give you many.

• 2 weeks later...
Big Mango on Soi 4 does and awsome cheeseburger.

Ok, a few weeks ago I had a burger craving and decided I would try the two reputedly best (not expensive in 5 star hotel) burgers in Bangkok: Bus Stop and Big Mango. I ate at the Bus Stop a few weeks ago, and the Big Mango tonight. No contest.

Big Mango is the clear winner with a generously hand-formed large succulent patty, seasoned, barbequed or smoked, not sure how, but tastes just like something off a backyard barbeque and looks it too. The bun is also correctly lightly toasted on the edges, and the white cheese was tart and generous. Hog heaven. I went at happy hour, and also enjoyed Beer Lao at 60 Baht. However, for those of you who might be offended by Nana Plaza, it would be best to exit before 8PM, as those naughty activities start after that.

Both places fall down miserably on the fries, using packaged pre-cut frozen fries, but hard to complain at the 109Baht Cheeseburger price at Big Mango. (I have no financial interest and do not know the owners or managers of either establishment).

For those in Phuket, I can recommend the White Orchid in Kamala Beach, where they hand-chop the beef, and hand slice large fries from a fresh potato. I'm still waiting for that in Bangkok! (Again, not counting Marriott, Four Seasons, etc..)

Agree that the sandwiches at the Marriott are very good and inexpensive given the quality.

For a nice lunch, La Brioche on the ground floor of the Novotel Siam Square does 160 baht lunches and you get a very good sandwich, salad and fried. The sandwiches are very good - not the absolute best in town, but still pretty good. The Reuben there is very good and is huge.

If you go to Tony Roma's Express in The Emporium, the burger is a little over 200 Baht. The other burgers that I have mentioned are very expensive (300 ++), but you get what you pay for in life, at least for good farang food here in the 'Kok. I have had the burger at The Big Mango Bar and consider it mediocre at best. If you have those burgers that I have mentioned, you'll notice a higher level of overall quality of all the ingredients: bun, meat, condiments, and you'll notice the method of its construction.

Sorry, but I TOTALLY disagree. I tried the Tony Roma's Express Burger today, and The Big Mango is FAR superior at about half the price - No comparison really! :o

I think the burger at the Big Mango is way over rated, just average at best. Sleazy atmosphere and full of pushy hookers.

Just a way for the pimps to try to lure in more customers to their establishment.

I would say even Mc Donalds would be better, at least you can eat in peace, without anyone putting the bit on you.

full of pushy hookers

altho it is in Nana Plaza, they are waitresses and there about 4 per shift

:o

Well, the wait staff might be ex-hookers, but I was there through 3 beers and never got propositioned. Come on, this is silly. I already mentioned in my review that this was in Nana and scweamish need not go. This burger doesn't compare to a fast food place.

Mos Burger in Central World makes some rather unique and tasty burgers...one could argue that they're a fast food chain, but they really are pretty good.

In terms of sandwiches, Larry's Dive in Sukh. Soi 22 makes a WONDERFUL Reuben (pastram, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, special sauce, on rye bread)...really, really good, makes my mouth water just thinking of it :o

So does anybody rate Burger King here at all? I've eaten in many of their restaurants in Bangkok and I'm always impressed how meaty their patties are :o compared to McDonalds (which IMHO tastes like eating cardboard)! :D:D

So does anybody rate Burger King here at all? I've eaten in many of their restaurants in Bangkok and I'm always impressed how meaty their patties are :o compared to McDonalds (which IMHO tastes like eating cardboard)! :D:D

As far as fast food is concerned, Burger King burgers are superior to Mc Donalds, but you have to be careful.

Sometimes they keep old burgers and microwave them and then serve them. I hate that :D

I ate at Burger King that is at the Emporium last month and it was the worst hamburger I have ever had. I think the meat was actually spoiled. I took one bite and relized something was wrong. The two other times I have eaten there the hamburger did not taste right.

I think the burger at the Big Mango is way over rated, just average at best. Sleazy atmosphere and full of pushy hookers.

Just a way for the pimps to try to lure in more customers to their establishment.

I would say even Mc Donalds would be better, at least you can eat in peace, without anyone putting the bit on you.

They don't bother me, and I WANT them too! :o