Aaaargh, mobile data switching on automatically!

Inderpland

So I have a Dtac prepaid sim card and thought I'd finally found the solution to mobile data switching itself on under certain circumstances by disabling mobile data (*104*72*9#).

But I've now found that despite this it still switches itself on after phone system updates! Don't know what more I can do to prevent this from happening and am seriously <deleted> off at Dtac. My wife's got AIS and this doesn't heppen to her.

Thoughts, anyone?

If your wife has no problem, switch to AIS

Turn off ‘Cellular Data’ on your phone - iPhones have that option, other phones should.

Turn off ‘Auto-Updates’ so your phone doesn’t update without you knowing it - iPhones have that option, other phones should.

Edited by metisdead
Corrected the posting error and inserted AIS instead of DTAC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If your wife has no problem, switch to AIS

Turn off ‘Cellular Data’ on your phone - iPhones have that option, other phones should.

Turn off ‘Auto-Updates’ so your phone doesn’t update without you knowing it - iPhones have that option, other phones should.

- I've been with DTAC for 14 years and don't really want to start again with a new company as there are certain vital (to me) perks that come along with the long relationship.

- That's been turned off the whole time. The issue is it turns itself back on.

- Auto update is off but I shouldn't have to remember to switch off and block mobile data again after system updates.

Edited by metisdead
Correction to the quoted post.

what type of smart phone are you using, please provide more info such

Samsung

NOKIA

Apple iphone

and what is the application is it DTAC app

or are you accessing your DTAC account using a browser like chrome or Safari

6 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

- I've been with DTAC for 14 years and don't really want to start again with a new company as there are certain vital (to me) perks that come along with the long relationship.

- That's been turned off the whole time. The issue is it turns itself back on.

- Auto update is off but I shouldn't have to remember to switch off and block mobile data again after system updates.

Try the SIM in another phone, see if it still does it.

• Like 1

with respect if you've had this account for 14 years, you should switch to POST paid account.

as i said

what type of smart phone

how are you accessing the account using an App or through a browser

54 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm sure that I already gave the solution to this problem. But every man seems to think they can do one better.

Once again *103*55*9#. It will cost you 30 baht and you will never get another mobile data charge again. What this does is to apply a permanent 64 kbps connection to your account.

So you can leave mobile data switched on. No matter what updates take place or if WiFi is not available, it will always fall back to that 64 kbps connection. DTAC are the only network to offer this service for a small one time payment. The other networks push you to spend 150 baht per month for the privilege.

So take the option and don't beat yourself up over the principle of having to spend 30 - 40 baht on a permanent solution.

An added benefit is that you can actually use the 64 kbps connection for text chat and email. Though no picture downloads.

If you need faster mobile data you can add a pack. When the pack expires, it will drop back down to the 64 kbps connection.

So no need to worry about accidental data charges again. I think worth it for peace of mind. Don't you?

I do indeed. Just got the package and an SMS saying:

"You can now enjoy Go Plearn package for call to any network at0.69B/min and free unlimited net prevent net leak(excl.VOIP)"

Not sure what the excl. VOIP means (cannot use Skype?) but if I'm now safe against unwanted emptying of my balance then I'm happy - thanks!:thumbsup:

Edited by Inderpland
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

"You can now enjoy Go Plearn package for call to any network at0.69B/min and free unlimited net prevent net leak(excl.VOIP)"

Not sure what the excl. VOIP means (cannot use Skype?) but if I'm now safe against unwanted emptying of my balance then I'm happy - thanks!:thumbsup:

Voice Over Internet Protocol. It's too slow to work for WhatsApps calls and the like and you won't be using it for that anyway.

It just means that you have a non expiring data pack; so that you cannot be charged for any data usage unless you choose to buy a faster data pack. When the faster pack runs out, it defaults to the Plearn pack. The Plearn pack is just a base pack. Every SIM comes with a base pack and you can usually change them for free when you first obtain a SIM. Plearn pack is good value. Cheap calls and the very useful 64 kbps connection. All my DTAC SIMs are on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Why are you posting such nonsense? Why should he move to Postpaid? How would that help?

I've had my DTAC Prepaid SIM for a lot longer than that. What benefit would I get from moving to PostPaid?

There was no need for the "with respect" since it does not appear to be helpful advice in the first place.

The solution is simple. No need to rack one's brains. 30 baht + VAT and no more problem.

I’m posting because I believe postpaid is better than prepaid

Please respect other posters.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm sure that I already gave the solution to this problem. But every man seems to think they can do one better.

Once again *103*55*9#. It will cost you 30 baht and you will never get another mobile data charge again. What this does is to apply a permanent 64 kbps connection to your account.

So you can leave mobile data switched on. No matter what updates take place or if WiFi is not available, it will always fall back to that 64 kbps connection. DTAC are the only network to offer this service for a small one time payment. The other networks push you to spend 150 baht per month for the privilege.

So take the option and don't beat yourself up over the principle of having to spend 30 - 40 baht on a permanent solution.

An added benefit is that you can actually use the 64 kbps connection for text chat and email. Though no picture downloads.

If you need faster mobile data you can add a pack. When the pack expires, it will drop back down to the 64 kbps connection.

So no need to worry about accidental data charges again. I think worth it for peace of mind. Don't you?

The Go Plearn package sounds like a good idea for many people, but for some the existing "perks" that will/may be lost may be of more importance.

For instance, I am on the DTAC "Simple" package, an old type of package that you can no longer apply for, but that continues for existing customers. The main draw of the Simple package is that whenever you top up with any amount, the validity of your balance is extended to 12 months. Since I mostly use my phone for receiving OTP's and very seldom calls/receives calls that convenience  far outweighs any other advantages I could get from switching. Most other main packages now come with monthly expiration of your balance, so you have to top up monthly or buy more time. If I were to switch to the Go Plearn package, I would not be able to switch back to the Simple package again.

Just guessing, but since the OP mentions that the problem occurs whenever there is a system update,  maybe the OP has an android phone and under;
Settings => System app settings => System apps updater => Additional settings

has "Auto updates" set to "Update using WI-FI and mobile data"

I don't know for sure, but am guessing that such a setting could overrule the general setting to only use Wi-Fi and turn on mobile data whenever there is a system update. I have my phone set to update via Wi-Fi only, and have never been charged for any data usage.

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

Post paid is of course the better option - it used to be cheaper, I’m not sure that is so any more. 

With 3 main service providers competition has generated very favourable packages for the customer. 

Post paid with direct-debit is clearly more convenient - but I guess some guys like dealing with their bill every month, especially if they are very particular about usage and the amount they spend. 

------

My phone package comes with the Internet and TV... so its a 10GB data add on (included in the package)

So, Internet, TV (truebox with 85 crappy channels I don’t really watch) and a free phone usage - 800b a month I think. 

28 minutes ago, Sophon said:

The Go Plearn package sounds like a good idea for many people, but for some the existing "perks" that will/may be lost may be of more importance.

For instance, I am on the DTAC "Simple" package, an old type of package that you can no longer apply for, but that continues for existing customers. The main draw of the Simple package is that whenever you top up with any amount, the validity of your balance is extended to 12 months. Since I mostly use my phone for receiving OTP's and very seldom calls/receives calls that convenience  far outweighs any other advantages I could get from switching. Most other main packages now come with monthly expiration of your balance, so you have to top up monthly or buy more time. If I were to switch to the Go Plearn package, I would not be able to switch back to the Simple package again.

Just guessing, but since the OP mentions that the problem occurs whenever there is a system update,  maybe the OP has an android phone and under;
Settings => System app settings => System apps updater => Additional settings

has "Auto updates" set to "Update using WI-FI and mobile data"

I don't know for sure, but am guessing that such a setting could overrule the general setting to only use Wi-Fi and turn on mobile data whenever there is a system update. I have my phone set to update via Wi-Fi only, and have never been charged for any data usage.

Actually no. Whilst it is a good perk to get a max validity from a single top up, you can achieve the same buy simply applying a code.

For example: Let's say that you have a validity of six months on your SIM and you top up the phone with 50 baht; the balance is extended to 365 days.

On the other hand, let's say that you have a validity of six months on the Go Plearn SIM; you can simply apply *113*180*9# (then the Dial key) to add six more months of validity for 15 baht. So 30 baht for a full year of validity. You can do this ad infintum; continually extending the validity to 365 days whenever you feel like it. Possibly even abroad if you have Roaming switch on. If not, you can contact DTAC from anywhere and ask them to apply it for you.

So it's good, but not irreplaceable. 

So whilst the Simple SIM promo is a boon; there is a viable alternative. 

The other thing you stated:

Most other main packages now come with monthly expiration of your balance, so you have to top up monthly or buy more time.

Indeed, 30 baht per annum is hardly an imposition.

But of course since you don't use data, this thread does not concern you. This thread concerned with data leakage.

I think many people using data would have lost a lot more than 30 baht per annum on leaking data and 2 baht per minute calls on a SIMPLE SIM plan.

One of my annoyances with DTAC before the introduced the Go Plearn pack, was that their packages ended at midnight. So if you began a weekly data package at a few minutes to midnight, you will only get six days and a few minutes. This is most upsetting. Worse when you woke up at 7am and find your balance gone because the SIMPLE SIM charges by the second and not per MB. So you've been charged for seven hours of being connected to the Internet.

Now you might understand why I got rid of my SIMPLE SIM promo.

Moving on to your last suggestion for the OP. Most everyone giving advice seems to be glossing over the statement of the OP shutting off data via the Network, not on the phone. If the data is shut off at the network but you get data charges, I would be requesting DTAC to show me when I switched it back on. If they cannot, I would be demanding a refund.

1 hour ago, bolt said:

I'm giving you the respect you deserve...by opening up the floor for you to explain to everyone why Postpaid is better. I've asked you twice now, with no cogent reply.

So once again, can you explain to Inderpland, myself and Sophon how Prepaid would be better for us?

We all have different usage patterns. Sophon has made his clear. SIMPLE SIM is from 2006. I know because I have one. It costs 10 baht per annum to maintain. Have you a Postpaid SIM to match and beat it?

I, to mention just one of my SIMs, have a DTAC SIM offering unlimited 10 Mbps costing 1290 baht for a whole year of usage. Can you show me a better deal Postpaid?

Another of my DTAC SIM, more than seventeen years old, sits in my phone. The Go Plearn package powers it. WiFi when I'm at home. So I spend 30 baht per annum keeping it alive. Can you recommend me a better Postpaid package.

What package can you recommend to Inderpland?

Is it free? Because our SIMS are free. Does paying monthly for a SIM make it better than free?

As you can see your general statement does not ring true for ANY of the users here.

If you are going to argue; then please at least have an argument.

You are recommending a service which doesn’t provide downloading any pictures,

How can anyone recommend a service that doesn’t allow picture download,

Now that’s NONSENSE

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Post paid is of course the better option - it used to be cheaper, I’m not sure that is so any more. 

With 3 main service providers competition has generated very favourable packages for the customer. 

Post paid with direct-debit is clearly more convenient - but I guess some guys like dealing with their bill every month, especially if they are very particular about usage and the amount they spend. 

------

My phone package comes with the Internet and TV... so its a 10GB data add on (included in the package)

So, Internet, TV (truebox with 85 crappy channels I don’t really watch) and a free phone usage - 800b a month I think. 

Really?

Most guys like dealing with their bill every month? That just sounds just like something that you made up.

First off all, not everyone has a Thai bank account. So no direct debit.

Secondly, can you recommend a Postpaid account that would be better under any of the scenarios that I have mentioned in the post above yours?

Postpaid is better for a limited amount of people. To suggest otherwise is just showing a lack of knowledge of the real world.

Imagine I had a Postpaid contract for unlimited 10 Mbps at 300 baht per month and then I saw a Prepaid SIM on Lazada offering the same for 100 baht a month? Do you think I would be hugging bolt over his advice that Postpaid is better?

Disappointing when people argue to save face rather than to simply admit that their statement might be flawed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bolt said:

You are recommending a service which doesn’t provide downloading any pictures,

How can anyone recommend a service that doesn’t allow picture download,

Now that’s NONSENSE

No, my friend. I am recommending a service that stops the OP from being charged for data that he did not choose to utilise. It's just the base pack. You can buy the Go Plearn Prepaid SIM directly from DTAC for 50 baht. No more costs.

If you want fast data, you buy an add-on.

With respect.... I don't think that you should be giving out advice if you don't understand the subject.

http://www.dtac.co.th/common/mdd/package-select.php?refcode=&g_lang=EN&g_ref=&g_pack=MTMwMDQwNzI6aGFwcHk6bWFpbjozMA==&mode=

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/simdtac.html

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I don't know if you noticed, but the OP's issue is already solved: 

If you didn't spend quite so much time arguing over nothing(you seem to have dropped the Postpaid argument now, but started on something else), you might have noticed.

Yes YOU solved the OP problem

Since I obviously don’t know anything, can you confirm what the OP was using

Device

Operating system

Application or ISP

Current firmware

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yes YOU solved the OP problem

Device

Operating system

Application or ISP

Current firmware

Seriously my friend, you are just embarrassing yourself. Everyone has gone home. The problem is solved.

The problem was the OP not wanting to be charged for data other than when he chooses. That problem has been solved.

So the need to delve down into why it happened has vanished. It is of no importance to the OP nor myself.

Please don't let me have to put you on ignore. Just allow yourself to calm down before making another post.

It's the OP's thread. If he is happy, why are you unhappy?

Edited by Eindhoven

I'm still waiting on your answer

if you don't know tell me

Device

Operating system

Application or ISP

Current firmware

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Actually no. Whilst it is a good perk to get a max validity from a single top up, you can achieve the same buy simply applying a code.

For example: Let's say that you have a validity of six months on your SIM and you top up the phone with 50 baht; the balance is extended to 365 days.

On the other hand, let's say that you have a validity of six months on the Go Plearn SIM; you can simply apply *113*180*9# (then the Dial key) to add six more months of validity for 15 baht. So 30 baht for a full year of validity. You can do this ad infintum; continually extending the validity to 365 days whenever you feel like it. Possibly even abroad if you have Roaming switch on. If not, you can contact DTAC from anywhere and ask them to apply it for you.

So it's good, but not irreplaceable. 

So whilst the Simple SIM promo is a boon; there is a viable alternative. 

The other thing you stated:

Indeed, 30 baht per annum is hardly an imposition.

But of course since you don't use data, this thread does not concern you. This thread concerned with data leakage.

I think many people using data would have lost a lot more than 30 baht per annum on leaking data and 2 baht per minute calls on a SIMPLE SIM plan.

One of my annoyances with DTAC before the introduced the Go Plearn pack, was that their packages ended at midnight. So if you began a weekly data package at a few minutes to midnight, you will only get six days and a few minutes. This is most upsetting. Worse when you woke up at 7am and find your balance gone because the SIMPLE SIM charges by the second and not per MB. So you've been charged for seven hours of being connected to the Internet.

Now you might understand why I got rid of my SIMPLE SIM promo.

Moving on to your last suggestion for the OP. Most everyone giving advice seems to be glossing over the statement of the OP shutting off data via the Network, not on the phone. If the data is shut off at the network but you get data charges, I would be requesting DTAC to show me when I switched it back on. If they cannot, I would be demanding a refund.

I never said that the Simple plan was irreplaceable, just that for me it's preferable to all the other options. The alternatives you suggest (all of which I know already and used before I got the Simple plan) are more expensive and/or require extra steps than simply topping up for 20 Baht once a year.

And you say that this thread doesn't concern me, because I don't use data. However, the OP doesn't use data either, other than the unintended data leakage he is charged for, so he is in the same boat as me. If he got his phone set-up correctly, then he wouldn't need to change package.

Edited by Sophon

10 minutes ago, Sophon said:

I never said that the Simple plan was irreplaceable, just that for me it's preferable to all the other options. The alternatives you suggest (all of which I know already and used before I got the Simple plan) are more expensive and/or require extra steps than simply topping up for 20 Baht once a year.

And you say that this thread doesn't concern me, because I don't use data. However, the OP doesn't use data either, other than the unintended data leakage he is charged for, so he is in the same boat as me. If he got his phone set-up correctly, then he wouldn't need to change package.

How do you know that the OP doesn't use data? He might turn it on and off as and when.

So you have your phone set up correctly and you don't use data, that means this thread does not concern you.

The OP's thread and he was happy to change package to solve it. If you have a problem; start your own thread....and mention that you have a SIMPLE SIM and don't use data. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Inderpland said:

As the OP's problems have been resolved, this topic is now closed.