Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Pending Social Security Deposit

Seen reports here and elsewhere that the basic message was "don't worry about it until further notice".

Many here reported success emailing the form to Manila (SSA FBU), I mailed a hard copy to the U.S. via basic Thai Post airmail when mail opened up. No clue if it got there OK, but assume it did.

8 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Should try to set up online accounts?

Do you mean MySSA?

Pretty sure that requires a physical address in the U.S.A.  - a few people here have made this work, maybe with a VPN and an address associated with various credit reporting agencies - so of limited value for most. Plus it may require one to provide less than truthful information?

A search here would yield details.

"My Social Security" Accounts.  For those who wish to create an online account to view their Social Security benefits via the online “My Social Security” portal please be aware that at this time you must have a US mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “My Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but the system does not support registration and account creation for users with a private foreign address.  This is due to the inability to provide a verification process for foreign addresses. Given the incidents of identity theft the US Social Security Administration wants to insure that creation of on-line accounts can be correctly verified, matching the number with the correct recipient  The US Social Security Administration is looking into how to allow those iving overseas to create online accounts however, currently the service is not availalbe. For more information on “my Social Security” accounts, please see:  www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

https://www.americansabroad.org/general-info-about-social-security/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, racyrick said:

I just received a pending social security deposit for February 3rd.

I say this because I never received a form 7162 last year like everybody else and it looks like the SSA will not suspend payments as promised.

A big relief they actually told the truth.

Per Manila SS - The SS has delayed mailings of the SSA 7172 due to COVID

• Thanks 1

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Good day,

Mailing of the SSA-7162 is still suspended. Your benefits will still continue without the submission of this form. Thank you.

Social Security Administration – Federal Benefits Unit

Address: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930 Manila, Philippines

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, racyrick said:

I tried the 3 dots, but it just says report and share, no edit. Strange because it used to be there.

How long between when you posted and you looked for the edit under the 3 dots? You only have a limited amount of time to do an edit of your posts.

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you mean MySSA?

Pretty sure that requires a physical address in the U.S.A.  - a few people here have made this work, maybe with a VPN and an address associated with various credit reporting agencies - so of limited value for most. Plus it may require one to provide less than truthful information?

A search here would yield details.

"My Social Security" Accounts.  For those who wish to create an online account to view their Social Security benefits via the online “My Social Security” portal please be aware that at this time you must have a US mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “My Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but the system does not support registration and account creation for users with a private foreign address.  This is due to the inability to provide a verification process for foreign addresses. Given the incidents of identity theft the US Social Security Administration wants to insure that creation of on-line accounts can be correctly verified, matching the number with the correct recipient  The US Social Security Administration is looking into how to allow those iving overseas to create online accounts however, currently the service is not availalbe. For more information on “my Social Security” accounts, please see:  www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

https://www.americansabroad.org/general-info-about-social-security/

You are correct when it comes to needing a physical address!  I'm not criticizing anyone believe me it comes down to " to each his own "  you can follow all the rules or you can break some when it comes to this rule if the U.S. government is so will run and have the time to check what I'm doing and what to come knocking on my door and put we away I saw more power to them!

For myself I have a physical address in the U.S. I have a online account with S.S. it works great get paperless notices and can obtain whatever forms I need. Recently I contacted them online as to security got an answer right away to be honest great service as far as I'm concern.  I use a VPN the only problem is the website seem only available U.S. times so you need to plan ahead.

My brother does the same thing he lives here also, year ago when he started to collect back home at their office he as about setting up an account for himself and his family kids and all they said no problem so today he monitors all the accounts online. Go figure that out?

Like immigration here my brother and I have been to a number of S.S. offices back home many times you ask a question you get different answer no different than I.R.S. from my experience.

I also monitor my mothers S.S. benefits have all the legal power of Attorney, she is a ripe age of 103 years old and living in a government sponsor care facility each year I need to qualify her for benefits that means getting documents from S.S. I being here during her qualification I normally make a visit in Feb and Sept if possible so I submit her package in Dec I obtain whatever I need online and forward it email with attachment. The biggest headache each year was obtaining S.S. documentation. Prior, for years when in town I go in to the office never had problems update them of her status, change of address, even requesting documents a few year back I mistakenly destroy one document by accident went down told it wasn't possible I was kind of blow away?  I showed them all the legal documents " P.O.A.  told arrogantly we have our own rules? 

So regardless what it states I went online and created an account for her " since qualification hasn't been any easier ????my rule I have legal power of attorney end of story as far as I'm concern. Not knocking you or anyone else but as far as I'm concern I'm not afraid of my own shadow like here I didn't come here looking for trouble but I'm no doormat to anyone I just go about doing what I need to get what I need done that includes doing work on my house.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:55 AM, racyrick said:

I just received a pending social security deposit for February 3rd.

I say this because I never received a form 7162 last year like everybody else and it looks like the SSA will not suspend payments as promised.

A big relief they actually told the truth.

SSA announced that they have suspended the form 7162 until further notice due to no mail delivery in so many countries.

11 hours ago, Morty T said:

A simple PO Box address will suffice. 

To enroll in MySSA? in The U.S.?

I don't believe a USPS Post Office Box will suffice.

Maybe a faux box at a mail service might work. Also believe there is a check to match your attempted registration address against an address on your credit report (not sure which agency they use). That said, assuming you live in Thailand you might violate some rule or law by pretending to live in the U.S.?

Now if you've done this successfully please share.

There have been quite a few longish threads on MySSA here over the years.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How long between when you posted and you looked for the edit under the 3 dots? You only have a limited amount of time to do an edit of your posts.

That's probably the reason as it was about 30 minutes after I made the original post.

Thanks for your input.