B2 visa

My GF will be applying for a B2 for the US before long and we're doing our homework. 

I have some questions regarding the invitation letter, which I've understood to be a required part of the application. 

A guy in a different forum (visa journey) said "An invitation letter from you will not help get her a visa since invitation letters are not considered."

Agree? Disagree? 

I'm in Chiang Mai on a non-O that's good through Dec 2021. The plan is to go in late May, return early September. 

My plan for the invitation is to specify where we'll be going, my reason for for the trip, show my re-entry permit, show I've been visiting Thailand for 3-6 months every year since 2014, provide proof I have funds to cover all expenses, show proof of 600K baht in Bangkok Bank, show my long term lease agreement here in CM and possibly a return ticket. 

Suggestions? 

Thanks!

I hate to have to say this, but I think you are focussing on the wrong end of this issue.

Regardless of your situation, all the CO wants to hear about is her situation, you are irrelevant regardless of what letters of support you provide.

Without solid proof of strong ties showing that she has good chance of returning to Thailand it's going to be tough.

B2's for single Thai women are the hardest, and the rejection rate is very high.

Employment, with a letter from employer stating she has approved vacation and a job to return to

Money in the bank

House

...and basically anything else you can think of that shows why she would return after the vacation

These are the things you need to be thinking about.

She'll get an interview, but without the things I have mentioned it's always a denial.

The CO fears two things. 

One, that you get to the US, get married and try to circumvent the regular immigration rules by applying for an adjustment of status while in the US

Or, she simply arrives and disappears into the Thai diaspora.

Hate to sound negative, but again B2, single Thai female, this is a tough one and you need to get it right

47 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I hate to have to say this, but I think you are focussing on the wrong end of this issue.

Regardless of your situation, all the CO wants to hear about is her situation, you are irrelevant regardless of what letters of support you provide.

Without solid proof of strong ties showing that she has good chance of returning to Thailand it's going to be tough.

B2's for single Thai women are the hardest, and the rejection rate is very high.

Employment, with a letter from employer stating she has approved vacation and a job to return to

Money in the bank

House

...and basically anything else you can think of that shows why she would return after the vacation

These are the things you need to be thinking about.

She'll get an interview, but without the things I have mentioned it's always a denial.

The CO fears two things. 

One, that you get to the US, get married and try to circumvent the regular immigration rules by applying for an adjustment of status while in the US

Or, she simply arrives and disappears into the Thai diaspora.

Hate to sound negative, but again B2, single Thai female, this is a tough one and you need to get it right

Oh, and as it's too late to edit the original post, I should have stressed it needs to be 'HER' money in the bank, your's won't count

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hey GB2,

I appreciate the input and the thoughtful response!

I see how you'd assume we're focused on my end of this, but that's not the case, I was just not including the whole package in a singe question. 

GF is 50, a tailor, has a well established business in Chiang Mai with bank records to prove it and has no intent or desire to give it up. I agree. She's good at it, enjoys it and has lots of friends in the neighborhood. 

She has an excellent location in Chiang Mai, has been there for about 10 years and has a long term lease on the shop space.    

Most of her clientele is Thai and 'in the neighborhood' but they're also getting hammered by Covid - lots of hotels, restaurants and bars whose proprietors are dependent on tourism. Her income is about 30 - 40% of what it was January 2020 - and that's why she's willing/able to step away for a while.  

She doesn't own a house but does own 6 rai near Fang - her parent's farm and home is  there. That property is titled to her mother but she's an only child, has an excellent relationship with them and will inherit the property, which includes a modern house that she had built for them about 5 years ago.

Her son is 20, past the age of 'legal dependent' and is in his last year of Engineering at Phitsanulok University - she's paying all expenses - or was till Covid came so I'm filling the gaps and can pick up the whole tab while she's away, no problem.

I also plan to deposit about 200K baht in her bank account early next month so she can show it's ''HER' money in the bank. 

Started working rice fields when she was about 13, first 'holiday' was when I took her to Chiang Dao for a week 2 years ago - she's earned a vacation. 

My home is Montana and I have no intention of ever doing another winter there, my passport will show that history, but I planned to return Apr 2020 and there's things I need to deal with before I can rent or sell that property and that's the reason I'm planning this trip.

Does that help?

DS

6 hours ago, MrKFC said:

Hey GB2,

I appreciate the input and the thoughtful response!

I see how you'd assume we're focused on my end of this, but that's not the case, I was just not including the whole package in a singe question. 

GF is 50, a tailor, has a well established business in Chiang Mai with bank records to prove it and has no intent or desire to give it up. I agree. She's good at it, enjoys it and has lots of friends in the neighborhood. 

She has an excellent location in Chiang Mai, has been there for about 10 years and has a long term lease on the shop space.    

Most of her clientele is Thai and 'in the neighborhood' but they're also getting hammered by Covid - lots of hotels, restaurants and bars whose proprietors are dependent on tourism. Her income is about 30 - 40% of what it was January 2020 - and that's why she's willing/able to step away for a while.  

She doesn't own a house but does own 6 rai near Fang - her parent's farm and home is  there. That property is titled to her mother but she's an only child, has an excellent relationship with them and will inherit the property, which includes a modern house that she had built for them about 5 years ago.

Her son is 20, past the age of 'legal dependent' and is in his last year of Engineering at Phitsanulok University - she's paying all expenses - or was till Covid came so I'm filling the gaps and can pick up the whole tab while she's away, no problem.

I also plan to deposit about 200K baht in her bank account early next month so she can show it's ''HER' money in the bank. 

Started working rice fields when she was about 13, first 'holiday' was when I took her to Chiang Dao for a week 2 years ago - she's earned a vacation. 

My home is Montana and I have no intention of ever doing another winter there, my passport will show that history, but I planned to return Apr 2020 and there's things I need to deal with before I can rent or sell that property and that's the reason I'm planning this trip.

Does that help?

DS

As mentioned by another poster, having you as a bf is actually a negative for your gf in order to secure a b2 visa. As you mention that she has strong ties to thailand and good job and she will be a genuine tourist, she just needs to emphasis on these things in her interview and without mentioning you at all, will be her best chance to secure a visa.

47 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

As mentioned by another poster, having you as a bf is actually a negative for your gf in order to secure a b2 visa. As you mention that she has strong ties to thailand and good job and she will be a genuine tourist, she just needs to emphasis on these things in her interview and without mentioning you at all, will be her best chance to secure a visa.

We've gone around and around on whether using the bf's stuff helps or hinders, and I honestly don't know.

My gut opinion is to present the information for the applicant alone, don't offer any additional information until asked by the CO at the interview.

I think people need to understand, a B2 isn't an immigrant visa, where you are checking the correct boxes and it's a an objective done deal, a B2 is a very subjective deal

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

We've gone around and around on whether using the bf's stuff helps or hinders, and I honestly don't know.

My gut opinion is to present the information for the applicant alone, don't offer any additional information until asked by the CO at the interview.

So the question that occurs to me is related to the fact that as of today, her bank account is pretty well drained. She still has some of her regular customers, and is even picking up a few new ones via her Google site, works every day, but her income is not anywhere near where it was pre-covid.

End of the month when her rent, insurance, phone and college expenses come around I give her enough cash to fill the gap.

I can make a deposit any time, but was thinking I'd wait till my required balance drops from 800K baht to 400K in early March.

When she shows her bank records, isn't a deposit of 200K gonna raise eyebrows? 

My thought was that it's better to be upfront about the whole deal, cards on the table face up, because we really are just going for a few months, neither of us is interested in staying in the US.

Have wondered whether being married works for or against also. If it would help, it wouldn't be a problem. 

This is a real <deleted> shoot.

So years ago before we were married, my now wife applied for a B2, when we  just wanted to go visit since one of my daughters had a baby.

Professional woman, good job, had lived in the US been to college there, you guessed it she was denied a B2 visa.

When we got married years later and applied for a CR-1 went through with no problem.

Others on here have posted that as a married woman it seems to to easier obtaining a B2.

It's such a minefield I wish any of us could give you definite advice, but there is none. 

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

This is a real <deleted> shoot.

It's such a minefield I wish any of us could give you definite advice, but there is none. 

Right - and as I understand it, it's US officers she's talking to for the B2, not Thais - where we expect silly inexplicable problems. 

Thinking about your situation I always come back to the idea that just being straight is the best option. 

If you seed her bank account all that's going to do is fuel the notion that the application is in some way dodgy, so maybe an honest explanation of why saving are drained  in this covid environment is by far the best option.

Now the other thing in her favor is her age. It's the 20 something going to visit her 50/60 something 'boyfriend' which is a huge red flag to the CO at the interview, so I think you're fine there

As for the interview it will be with an American in English, and without knowing your girlfriends English ability a Thai speaker is always available if needed.

And to be clear when we say interview it's the same place we all go and it's a few words stood at one of those windows.

BTW, I love Montana, we went on a road trip to Yellowstone last year both me and my wife loved the place, first time either of us had visited the park

34 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

BTW, I love Montana, we went on a road trip to Yellowstone last year both me and my wife loved the place, first time either of us had visited the park

Much appreciated!

I agree, like Joe Friday said - "just the facts" - it's nearly always best. 

Her English is adequate for her business, like many she understands a good bit more than she speaks clearly. If it gets complicated she'll probably ask for a Thai speaker but she's a 'people person', not shy or intimidated by talking with farangs, has nothing to hide or be evasive about, should be fine. 

I've been digging around, doesn't seem to be agreement on duration of the 1st visit with a B2 - 6 month max has been mentioned more than once. I'm hoping for just under 5 months. One Thai friend of hers who's traveled a bit said that initially it's a 90 day visa but can do a 90 day extension, similar to what's available here. 

I've lived in Montana for 40+ years and it's still just breathtaking, I love it. My place is north of West Yellowstone, about 90 miles. I've had enough winter to last me, that's what got me started coming here, and what I'm trying to pull together now is get half my house rented as an apartment so we can go there for summer - last summer was the first in decades that I didn't log a couple hundred river miles. 

Thanks again!

29 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

I've lived in Montana for 40+ years and it's still just breathtaking, I love it. My place is north of West Yellowstone, about 90 miles. I've had enough winter to last me, that's what got me started coming here, and what I'm trying to pull together now is get half my house rented as an apartment so we can go there for summer - last summer was the first in decades that I didn't log a couple hundred river miles. 

Thanks again!

I'm a central valley Californian and my trek across the planet has taken me many places. 

I (we) lived in Singapore for years, Taiwan, mainland China, and of course back to Thailand.

But our life here in the Black Hills of Western South Dakota kinda reignited that love of wilderness which I think lives in all of us.

Our normal plan, obviously upended by this nightmare, is we summer in South Dakota, winter in Thailand.

So when you get your GF's B2, figure out what you want to do long term.

My wife is a bit of an odd ball, since after the early death of her parents ended up growing up in Chicago through her teenage years with her uncle. Now she loves Thailand, but she never wanted our son to live there, and now he is happy in Denver.

So see what a couple of months in the US does in terms of where you both want to be

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So see what a couple of months in the US does in terms of where you both want to be

I was raised in Southern Cal, moved to Montana in 1976 to play with a band, never looked back. I'm right on the edge of addicted to wide open spaces, the rivers and my boats, simply does not exist in Thailand. 

But there's things about Thailand that really appeal to me as well, not the least of which is this wonderful lady I've connected with. What I'm trying to pull together is about half here and half there - summers in Montana - and the only thing preventing it is $$.

My minimal social security just doesn't cut it, but is adequate here. Renting half the place there would be a decent step in the right direction.

My occupation these days is promoting a music ed book I published about 5 years ago. Amazon sales have been steady since day 1 and a decent supplement. 

I've recently put together a package that I'm about to start promoting to music stores and book stores, and a little traction there could solve it. 

Onward, into the fog!

On 2/9/2021 at 9:14 PM, andy said:

100% correct.  Any letter like this will not be looked at.  Maybe give her your passport when she goes for the interview in case your status in Thailand comes up.

If approved it will be 10 year visa, good for a max 6 month visit per entry.  Wife has always been stamped for 6 months, regardless how long we are staying.

Everyone situation is different.  Wife is on her second 10 year B2, and her bank account info was never looked at or mentioned.  Think you will find that the decision is mostly made based on the application form and in a lot of cases the interview is a formality.

I tend to agree with that, and I think anecdotally reading over the years the stories of various members it was like the CO had already made up his/her mind and the interview was irrelevant to the outcome .

The worst of it of course for us is, that unlike the Brits and others who get a letter stated the reason for the refusal we get nothing. It's simply the CO at a plexiglass window saying the application is denied, and thats it.

So you are left never knowing what it was that triggered the rejection

On 2/9/2021 at 8:10 PM, MrKFC said:

I was raised in Southern Cal, moved to Montana in 1976 to play with a band, never looked back. I'm right on the edge of addicted to wide open spaces, the rivers and my boats, simply does not exist in Thailand. 

But there's things about Thailand that really appeal to me as well, not the least of which is this wonderful lady I've connected with. What I'm trying to pull together is about half here and half there - summers in Montana - and the only thing preventing it is $$.

My minimal social security just doesn't cut it, but is adequate here. Renting half the place there would be a decent step in the right direction.

My occupation these days is promoting a music ed book I published about 5 years ago. Amazon sales have been steady since day 1 and a decent supplement. 

I've recently put together a package that I'm about to start promoting to music stores and book stores, and a little traction there could solve it. 

Onward, into the fog!

So again my wife is a bit odd since she had lived in the US and was educated  there.

But you would be amazed how many Thai friends we have here, that once they have been here for a few months never want togo back.

So your second option, if you are legally married would be to apply for a CR-1 immigrant visa, if you don't intend to live there 100%. It might take more time, but it's pretty objective, you tick the boxes and she'll land with an SSN & Green Card.

That way you get to straddle both worlds, if is you do want to move back she can work, drivers license looks like the rest of us

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So your second option, if you are legally married would be to apply for a CR-1 immigrant visa, if you don't intend to live there 100%. It might take more time, but it's pretty objective, you tick the boxes and she'll land with an SSN & Green Card.

That way you get to straddle both worlds, if is you do want to move back she can work, drivers license looks like the rest of us

Marriage is certainly not out of the question, have looked into the process a bit, even got a copy of my divorce certificate a few days ago. 
Checked a bit, looks like CR-1 takes 6 months, longer than we want to wait this time.
Had a conversation with an agency that does help with B2, said that they're not issuing many due to the way the US has been handling Covid, but it's starting to level off a bit, probably a good idea to wait a little while. 

Archived