How do I renew motorcycle registration?

soi3eddie

Apologies if this answered elsewhere, I did a search but found nothing on this.

My Honda motorcycle will be 1 year old at the end of February. I will need to renew the registration and compulsory insurance. The dealer said he would do it for me but they are a 45 minute ride from where I live. 

I live just 10 minutes from DLT Morchit. I have the green book, a yellow book, pink ID and passport with retirement visa. The bike is registered in my name at my address.

Can anyone advise on the process to renew registration? Or is it so difficult it would be better to get the dealer to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by soi3eddie

I think it's so much easier if a Thai person does this who does it all the time.

Maybe just ask your dealer to send someone experienced to meet you at the DLT or pick up your bike at your place and bring it back after the renewal.

I guess it won't cost more than worst case a couple of hundred THB.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Apologies if this answered elsewhere, I did a search but found nothing on this.

My Honda motorcycle will be 1 year old at the end of February. I will need to renew the registration and compulsory insurance. The dealer said he would do it for me but they are a 45 minute ride from where I live. 

I live just 10 minutes from DLT Morchit. I have the green book, a yellow book, pink ID and passport with retirement visa. The bike is registered in my name at my address.

Can anyone advise on the process to renew registration? Or is it so difficult it would be better to get the dealer to do it?

Thanks in advance.

You already have the registration (Green Book) - its the Tax and Compulsory insurance you need to renew. 

Simply rock up to DLT and they will guide you in the right direction, a very simple process.

Contact a broker if you want better insurance. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Registration renewal? What's that?

You pay your road tax annually but AFAIK nothing needs renewing least of all the registration.

Renew the insurance first, then go pay tax.

Can't you still do this at the courtesy desks at Big C?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You already have the registration (Green Book) - its the Tax and Compulsory insurance you need to renew. 

Simply rock up to DLT and they will guide you in the right direction, a very simple process.

Thanks. I'll give renewal a try myself first as an adventure. They are normally fairly helpful there anyway.

I already have first class insurance from MSIG through a broker so happy with that.

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. I'll give renewal a try myself first as an adventure. They are normally fairly helpful there anyway.

I already have first class insurance from MSIG through a broker so happy with that.

Thats not the insurance you need for renewal, The insurance you need for renewal is called Por Lor Bor insurance (3rd party person).

You need to check as your first class insurance may/may not include Por Lor Bor., otherwise its a separate purchase.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats not the insurance you need for renewal, The insurance you need for renewal is called Por Lor Bor insurance (3rd party person).

You need to check as your first class insurance may/may not include Por Lor Bor., otherwise its a separate purchase.

Thanks. Yes I was aware of that.

As Peterw42 said go to any of the small service stations indicated by the above posted logo, the one with the yellow gear. No need to go to the DLT. They are everywhere. All you need in your case is your green book. If the bike is a bit older then they might also do a simple check on the bike itself in terms of emissions. They will take your green book and you can pick it up usually the day later.

Ask around for "Por Ror Bor" if you don't spot any of these shops.

• Thanks 2

I have acquired ( repossessed?) A motorcycle which has not been taxed or  insuredfor two years. I would like to make it "street legal'. I have the logbook. Is there any special forms or procedures, or do I just take it to be tested, pay the fee and pick up the tax sticker and insurance certificate in a couple of days time?

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As you have 1st class insurance its likely you already have the Por-Ror-Bor (compulsory) insurance, it will be with with your main insurance documents...

[Insurance companies ‘usually’ obtain the Por-Ror-Bor at the same time as provide your 1st class insurance - cue all the comments, mine didn’t !!!... ]

The Por-Ror-Bor insurance is about 700baht so you should be able to identify if it is with your main documents. 

A visit to the DLT with all your documents will resolve everything anyway... 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have acquired ( repossessed?) A motorcycle which has not been taxed or  insuredfor two years. I would like to make it "street legal'. I have the logbook. Is there any special forms or procedures, or do I just take it to be tested, pay the fee and pick up the tax sticker and insurance certificate in a couple of days time?

You are holding the ‘log book’ - do you mean the ‘Green Book’ ??? 

IF it is the Green Registration Book you are holding you can go to the DLT and register the motorcycle in your name. 

You need

- Proof of Sale / Purchase 

- Affidavit from previous seller to transfer the motorcycle into your name (or the seller goes to the DLT with you)

- Proof of address (Affirmation of Address from Embassy or Proof of Address from Immigration or Yellow house book)

- Passport Copy / Visa Copy

It is likely you will have to pay for the tax for the last few years. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are holding the ‘log book’ - do you mean the ‘Green Book’ ??? 

IF it is the Green Registration Book you are holding you can go to the DLT and register the motorcycle in your name. 

You need

- Proof of Sale / Purchase 

- Affidavit from previous seller to transfer the motorcycle into your name (or the seller goes to the DLT with you)

- Proof of address (Affirmation of Address from Embassy or Proof of Address from Immigration or Yellow house book)

- Passport Copy / Visa Copy

It is likely you will have to pay for the tax for the last few years. 

Yes, I have the "green book". The bike is registered to my wife. It had been "on loan" within the family for the last two years.I have no particular wish to re-register it in my name, and am not dramatically upset at having to pay " back tax", so off to the testing centre it is...

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 9:45 PM, soi3eddie said:

first class insurance on a scooter?

• 1 month later...

I am in Europe and the green book too.
Motorcycle (6 y.o.) is closed safe in Thailand garage
Tax and Compulsory insurance exipired on January 2564.
How can I renew from abroad ? Should I ?

1 hour ago, mauroest said:

I am in Europe and the green book too.
Motorcycle (6 y.o.) is closed safe in Thailand garage
Tax and Compulsory insurance exipired on January 2564.
How can I renew from abroad ? Should I ?

There is no way to do it from abroad.

But no problem to do it when you are back, you just pay a small fine for doing it late.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

But no problem to do it when you are back, you just pay a small fine for doing it late.

There is a limit of 3 (?) years overdue after the which the registration/plate is voided (start all over then). 3 years: as far as I remember.

I had one case of long overdue tax/insurance of the granddaughters scooter.

As the bike was older than 5 years I drove it to the nearest "cog wheel" station to do the technical inspection and handle with DLT. Picked up the book next day. Cost me almost 1000 Baht (tax/insurance).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 7:11 AM, no deal said:

first class insurance on a scooter?

Yes. First class insurance on any bike gives rider and passenger healthcare cover in case of an accident. It also includes mandatory government cover (Por Ror Bor). A major consideration is coverage for damage to other persons or vehicles. Where I am in Bangkok there are far too many wannabe HiSos in their precious Mercs, Beemers and even Porsches. Can you imagine the financial butthurt you'll encounter just for scratching or scraping a motor like that?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, Peterw42 said:

As others have said, a trip to your local DLT (insurance shops are at the DLT) . You can also pay tax and insurance at any of the agents, they are everywhere, just look for the yellow cog symbol, drop-off paperwork in the morning and pick up later that day or the next,

Most local mechanics will also do it for a fee

Image result for thailand vehicle inspection

I am in Chiang Mai. Is there any kind of directory or map of these locations?

1 hour ago, durian explorer said:

Possibly on google maps if you get a thai friend to search in Thai. Otherwise, just keep your eyes open, there are lots around.

4 hours ago, durian explorer said:

That's like asking for a map of 7/11s. There are so many that you can just drive a bit around and look for one. Look out for the blue yellow sign below. You can also just show it to a random person and they will point you to one.

Bike inspection in Thailand- what's it called and what does it cost? |  GT-Rider Motorcycle Forums