The 'essential' Selection

kratindaeng

Upon perusing many different information threads and news posts, I thought it would be useful to have a simple post with an overview on the 'Essential' selection of docs to include in your wallet/on your person at all times, should anything untoward occur or you require assistance in times of need/emergency.

'Essential' Selection #1: A Laminated reduced size photocopy of your passport, visa, latest stamps and personal data page(s)

#2: A Laminated reduced size photocopy of WP and details.

#3: Possibly you can include a photocopy of your Partners Thai ID card, with contact details such as mobile telephone etc.

#4: A reduced size photocopy of your Travel Insurance certificate/contact information.

#5: A reduced size document clearly stating in both Thai and English your Name, Address in Thailand, Blood type, emergency contact details in thailand (partner etc) and overseas (family)

These can all be resized, laminated and compiled so that they fit neatly & easily into your wallet, and will cost you next to nothing as most photocopy places will help out for 50 satang a copy. Only small money, but you never know when you may need assistance in times of emergency, and these documents on your person may just help you in those times of need.

Hope this was useful without sounding too overcautious!

Best regards,

KD

I knew a cocktail waitress in a topless club who claimed she was Mandy Moore, and her mother was Martha Stewart. They didn't believe her, so she pulled ID and credit card out of her wallet and proved it!

I'm Bill Gates pretending to be gay, but I carry Warren Buffet's ID cards.

standard pocket contents for me are :

phone, passport, platinum card,apartment access card,small roll of 1000 baht notes.

can get it all descretely in my front pockets, and I figure with the above contents I can go anywhere and do anything in an instant should the need arise.

....and if I really, really needed anything else I can use my phone(gprs or wifi) to download scans I have of other documents stored and encrypted on an ftp server.

I always leave my WP in my drawer at the office.

standard pocket contents for me are :

phone, passport, platinum card,apartment access card,small roll of 1000 baht notes.

can get it all descretely in my front pockets, and I figure with the above contents I can go anywhere and do anything in an instant should the need arise.

....and if I really, really needed anything else I can use my phone(gprs or wifi) to download scans I have of other documents stored and encrypted on an ftp server.

I always leave my WP in my drawer at the office.

Very smart! Are you a cyborg sent from the future? :o

:D KD

i carry a 2mg sd card with my life history and hope anyone who needs to see stuff has a laptop in their back pocket.

no its a good thread many people like to be safe when traveling so this can give a bit of peace of mind even if its never used.

I have found I have less problems just carrying my Thai drivers licenses and my tax payers card. Since both are written in Thai with all the information the Thais really care about (and can read). Generally (as at the bank yesterday) when asked for a passport for ID I show my driving license a big grin comes across the tellers face and they cash the check with extreme efficiency.

Drivers shouldn't forget a copy of their vehicle registration. I'm asked for this about once every 2 years. A big grin comes over the cop's face when he realises I'm not carrying it. Pay Day! A reduced laminated copy will do.

P.S. I use my tax card to get reduced prices at National Parks (at the discretion of the official). I seem to have lost it recently. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a replacement?

Drivers shouldn't forget a copy of their vehicle registration. I'm asked for this about once every 2 years. A big grin comes over the cop's face when he realises I'm not carrying it. Pay Day! A reduced laminated copy will do.

P.S. I use my tax card to get reduced prices at National Parks (at the discretion of the official). I seem to have lost it recently. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a replacement?

who needs a joke thread some of the replys in this thread are funnier,joking aside some replys have been useful :o

All of those could be important at times. Someday all that info will be on a swipe card and we won't have to deal with so much in our wallets. Rigth now I just keep a copy of my passport. I've been here over ten years and have never had to produce ID for the police. I have used the copy of my passport a couple times at a hotel and a bank.

I think this is a useful and well-intended post but I want to mention that three days ago late at night I was stopped at an ATM after withdrawing some money. I was about to get back into my taxi and return home and the policeman gently pulled me by the arm back to the pavement where three others stepped out from the shadows to stand at compass points surrounding me. The first policeman searched my pockets and checked each individual cigarette in my packet, checked my cards and phone and asked me where I was going, where I had been etc.

Due to the fact I was by an atm on a quiet soi and that I had done nothing wrong I figured this was a straightforward scam-for-cash attempt. This was the contens of my pockets:

No wallet (I dont like carrying bulk)

Two plastic cards, my UK Driving license and a bank atm card

loose thai baht notes

cigarettes

mobile phone

Having been stopped and asked for my passport in the past, I assume this would be the "issue" they would raise and ask for a "fine" as I was not carrying anything. But actually they didnt mention it and I was allowed to go on my way without handing over a satang.

Obviously for health and being in accidents and so on, it would help to have insurance details etc.

But for the purposes of deterring police from trying to scam you, yes it is useful to carry important stuff with you but I think if they are going to take money from you, it doesnt matter if you have the entire parliament of England and Wales in your back pocket, they will find something. And if they are not, then they will not. Maybe it helped that I told him if he really wanted a ciggy, he only had to ask. then again on another day that might have got me batoned.

Edited by OxfordWill