A Thailand mall has two San Francisco-themed floors and it's wonderful

webfact

Joshua Bote, SFGATE

SFG.jpg

A view of Terminal 21's Golden Gate Bridge tribute.

kittipong2016 / 123RF

A lovely — and pretty spot-on — homage to San Francisco is embedded in one of Bangkok's biggest tourist stops.

At the heart of the Terminal 21 megamall is a massive Golden Gate Bridge spanning two floors, complete with miniature cars driving through. There are the heart sculptures inspired by Tony Bennett, cable cars, lanterns in the floors' Chinatown district and myriad references to Boudin and sourdough bread.

A whole ramen restaurant is themed to the Haight, and boat's wheels advertise a mini-Pier 39 in the mall's annals. It is delightful and swanky and cartoonish in the best way, a little slice of how tourists view San Francisco extended to an entire mall concept.

Full story: https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/A-Thailand-mall-two-San-Francisco-themed-floors-15963767.php

SG.jpg

-- © Copyright SFGATE 2021-02-22

11 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Something nice for the Thais to look at, whilst taking advantage of the free aircon during the hot season !

We can all benefit from the A/C not just Thais. Do you begrudge Thais in their own country shopping in comfort. Are you a Thai hater? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Terminal 21 in Bangkok is busy, always has been. 

Next to the BTS and MRT it has a lot of foot traffic. 

It’s good for foodies - plenty of restaurants, its very busy at lunch time. 

It's good for middle class Thai’s to browse lots of shops.

The decoration is just that, decoration, interesting, but hardly worth a news article 9 years after the mall opened !!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It looks what it is, a massive expensive white elephant, built for kids and teenagers, ,just like the one in Pattaya.  Went once to the one in Patts, massively unimpressed, so I won't be bothering again. 

You do know what a white elephant is don't you?   A white elephant is not a place that is always busy and buzzing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It looks what it is, a massive expensive white elephant, built for kids and teenagers, ,just like the one in Pattaya.  Went once to the one in Patts, massively unimpressed, so I won't be bothering again. 

I guess you don’t like Chinese food. There's a fantastic and also low priced Sichuan and Northern dumplings restaurant on the top San Francisco floor. 

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I guess you don’t like Chinese food. There's a fantastic and also low priced Sichuan and Northern dumplings restaurant on the top San Francisco floor. 

you're right, I don't. I can see that the food halls and restaurants are good, but why build an expensive mall, which is more like a gaudy kids  theme park?   Each to his own I guess.  Those type of places do nothing for me, which is another reason that I prefer a semi rural life to that in the City.   

44 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

You do know what a white elephant is don't you?   A white elephant is not a place that is always busy and buzzing.

The T21 in Pattaya is very far from busy and buzzing, apart from maybe a Sunday and occasionally in the food outlets.  Maybe Bangkok is an exception, but who wants to live in an exception. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Those type of places do nothing for me, which is another reason that I prefer a semi rural life to that in the City.   

They obviously do something for you as you felt compelled to comment on a thread about such a mall !!! :neus:

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

but why build an expensive mall, which is more like a gaudy kids  theme park? 

For families and people to enjoy ???? - thats just a wild stab in the dark !!! :whistling:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The T21 in Pattaya is very far from busy and buzzing, apart from maybe a Sunday and occasionally in the food outlets.  Maybe Bangkok is an exception, but who wants to live in an exception. 

It was plenty busy before the great unpleasantness. But look on the bright side. It's a world class pit stop for the food delivery driver's army.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They obviously do something for you as you felt compelled to comment on a thread about such a mall !!! :neus:

For families and people to enjoy ???? - thats just a wild stab in the dark !!! :whistling:

Then enjoy away