IPhone 11 Issue

swm59nj

I have an Iphone 11 I purchased December 2019 from an Apple Store in Bangkok. So the warranty is expired. It worked fine up until yesterday evening. While I was speaking to someone their voice was fine, but then started getting lower and lower to a faint whisper. I then tried calling a couple of other people. One person I could hear faintly. The other was even worse. The only way I could hear anyone speaking normally was to switch the phone to speaker. I took my phone into an Apple store today in Bangkok, for  diagnostics. I was told what I call the ear speaker was bad and needed to be replaced. And because the receiver and speaker both were connected to each other, both had to be replaced. It cost me 6599 baht.

I know anything can happen. But this phone is only a little over a year old.  Previously I owned an IPhone 5C and IPhone 7. Each for about three years with no issues. When I returned home I called Apple support and asked them what could cause this on a newer phone. I was told its usually caused by dust in the speaker. I told support that when I purchased the phone, the Apple store installed a screensaver, and case of high quality. Support told me I should get an aftermarket case to cover the ear speaker to prevent dust from getting into it. I told support if I covered the speaker, how would I hear properly or at all?  Support also told me the speaker might have failed if the volume is up too high for long periods of time. I do watch youtube on the phone at times.     

Has anyone experienced this type of issue? Any ideas? Maybe its just bad luck. Im kind of disappointed. I didnt expect something to fail on this phone so quickly. This phone is not cheap.

2 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Has anyone experienced this type of issue? Any ideas? Maybe its just bad luck. Im kind of disappointed. I didnt expect something to fail on this phone so quickly. This phone is not cheap.

I haven’t had those kind of problems however on a mobile phone and sometimes on a tablet I do take out AppleCare + I consider that the cost for most phones is worth the cost.

iMac 8 ys...Macbook pro still have and 3 ys old ..... 3 iPads.....and iPhone 4, 5, 6+, 7 and now XR, only issue ever with any Apple product was with the 6+ and rather get them to-fix it updated to the 7 at the time.....i must be blessed apart from there wonky updates last 2 years its been a dream run..