Opening A Bank Account

I recently closed on a condo purchase in Thailand that I will be wanting to rent out for a couple of years before moving there. I do not have a bank account there as of now. When I was there, I was told I could not get an account there without a work permit. I want to have any rental receipts received kept in a Thai account so that I will have money there to spend when I get there. I know of people who have an account there who are American citezens and they are having their rental receipts directly deposited to their Thai account. They own their condo independent of any business. What I need to know is if I can open personal account in Thailand at a bank that has online banking and what I would have to do to get it. Does anyone have personal experience in this matter or know what I can do? It would be much appreciated.

Harrison

I recently closed on a condo purchase in Thailand that I will be wanting to rent out for a couple of years before moving there. I do not have a bank account there as of now. When I was there, I was told I could not get an account there without a work permit. I want to have any rental receipts received kept in a Thai account so that I will have money there to spend when I get there. I know of people who have an account there who are American citezens and they are having their rental receipts directly deposited to their Thai account. They own their condo independent of any business. What I need to know is if I can open personal account in Thailand at a bank that has online banking and what I would have to do to get it. Does anyone have personal experience in this matter or know what I can do? It would be much appreciated.

Harrison

Opening a bank account in Thailand is a hit and miss depending on the bank, the branch, the branch staff, the time of day, etc.

Many have opened with only a 30 days stamp some have had to provide work permit.

I have opened with Bangkok Bank on a 30 days stamp but they will not give me internet banking without a work permit.

I have opened with Siam Commercial Bank with a Non-Im O and they gave me internet banking, it works well.

I have opened with Krung Thai with copy of passort picture page (no visa required at all) but with a copy of an ID of a Thai to 'verify' my adress and they gave me internet banking which works bit is not as felxible as SCB

When in Thailand walk around and try a branch, if refused walk into the next.

Harrison

Opening a bank account in Thailand is a hit and miss depending on the bank, the branch, the branch staff, the time of day, etc.

Many have opened with only a 30 days stamp some have had to provide work permit.

I have opened with Bangkok Bank on a 30 days stamp but they will not give me internet banking without a work permit.

I have opened with Siam Commercial Bank with a Non-Im O and they gave me internet banking, it works well.

I have opened with Krung Thai with copy of passort picture page (no visa required at all) but with a copy of an ID of a Thai to 'verify' my adress and they gave me internet banking which works bit is not as felxible as SCB

When in Thailand walk around and try a branch, if refused walk into the next.

Thank you Krub. That is what I was afraid of. It seems that a lot of things in Thailand are hit and miss. Very frustrating. My problem is, I want to open an account from here in U.S. online. I do not want to use my wife's account because her family has access to it and it has already been used without permission. It is hard to find someone you can trust over there.

I don't know about opening an account on-line. However, when in Thailand, I went into a Bank of Ayudha (spelling) and said "I'd like to open an account" and they just did it for me with no questions at all. If you can find them on-line you might be able to do the same.

Around six months ago I tried to locate a Thai bank that would allow account opening entirely online. At that time there wasn't one; all required you to present yourself in person with varying levels of documentation.

Thank you Krub. That is what I was afraid of. It seems that a lot of things in Thailand are hit and miss. Very frustrating. My problem is, I want to open an account from here in U.S. online. I do not want to use my wife's account because her family has access to it and it has already been used without permission. It is hard to find someone you can trust over there.

It is not possible to do it all online.

They require you to go in person to the branch (even if you fill in the info online)

For example the SCB internet access works as follows :

If you want access you fill in the forms online, print them and BRING THEM to the branch.

The branck verifiesyour identidy and sends your prints ot Bangkok or their processsing center

Once that is done you receive an e-mail and you can start login online.

This is even after being a client so the opening process surely will require you to be present.

It is not possible to do it all online.

They require you to go in person to the branch (even if you fill in the info online)

For example the SCB internet access works as follows :

If you want access you fill in the forms online, print them and BRING THEM to the branch.

The branck verifiesyour identidy and sends your prints ot Bangkok or their processsing center

Once that is done you receive an e-mail and you can start login online.

This is even after being a client so the opening process surely will require you to be present.

i figured as much. It doesn't hurt to ask a dumb question every once in awhile.

Not sure where your based but bangkok bank have representation in USA and London, uk (and other placaes outside of Thailand) - if your in these places you might want to give them a cal and see what they can do for you. alternatively ask the service manager to look after the cash for a while till you get to thailand and go for a kasikorn bank account - has the best online bankling of most thai banks...

I am not sure about the USA but I would guess that you have similar schemes to the UK.

I have opened what is called a premier account with HSBC. This costs unless you have a minimum amount invested or a mortgage. I told them my plans and they just opened an account with their Bangkok branch for me. I had to do nothing. All my transfers are free and I get premier status in Bkk also.

I have not yet used the Bkk account so it could all go wrong!!!! but the theory is good!

Have a look at banks that are international, I am sure they can help.

I know hsbc have an international account opeing unit in the UK and there is certain countries they can do - but from other posters and my own experience state it is not possible to get an acount with HSBC Thailand remotely.

Also, my understanding is to get an HSBC Premier status you need to be earning £75K plus per annum.

Please comment on the above. If you are paying for premier how much is it costing you ?

Cheers

I am not sure about the USA but I would guess that you have similar schemes to the UK.

I have opened what is called a premier account with HSBC. This costs unless you have a minimum amount invested or a mortgage. I told them my plans and they just opened an account with their Bangkok branch for me. I had to do nothing. All my transfers are free and I get premier status in Bkk also.

I have not yet used the Bkk account so it could all go wrong!!!! but the theory is good!

Have a look at banks that are international, I am sure they can help.