British Summer Time

Starts tonight as our folks back home lose an hour of sleep. But so will I because Midnight News on BBC Radio 4 will be at 6am.

And Popmaster will be at 4.30 pm.

And our Monday night Family Quiz on Zoom will be at 1am for me, not 2am.

Edited by KannikaP

Yup, means I'll be able to get rid of complete my regular call with family in the UK before the cricket starts ???? 

I listen to Ken Bruce on the Sounds App so time-shifted anyway.

"Sounds of the 80's" with (oooh) Gary Davies was good this week with a Guns n Roses megamix.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Is it when the leaves fall off the trees?

Yes. The change of colours to the leaves in temperate climates is very photogenic. Unfortunately falling leaves do cause problems to blocking drainage systems and also on rail tracks where they can get compacted onto the rails causing loss of traction. In the UK there are special trains that run in the autumn cleaning the track.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do they Spring Back and Fall Forward?   LOL

Only after too much VB.

Of course, Aussie spring and autumn are the wrong way round for the sensible countries (clocks go BACK on April 4th but not all states do DST). 

• Haha 1
On 3/27/2021 at 4:29 AM, KannikaP said:

Do you change clocks in USA?

We do, but I wish we didn't.

There is a move in Congress to do away with the whole stupid thing, and standardize on Daylight savings time year round.

Arizona already does it, but since time is a Federal oversight thing it's a minefield for individual States to control.

I look forward to when we will be on Mountain Daylight time year round

Edited by GinBoy2
On 3/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, Crossy said:

Of course, they just chose to be different when they do it.

And spelling.. defense .. defence. ...  like going to the Import food shops.. sometimes needto know what Brits call .. Biscuits..Scone

joking you opened the door 

• Haha 1
On 3/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, Crossy said:

Only after too much VB.

Of course, Aussie spring and autumn are the wrong way round for the sensible countries (clocks go BACK on April 4th but not all states do DST). 

I have to correct you nobody in OZ drinks VB only poms do and daylight saving is not in WA Queensland and northern territory. 

• Like 1
On 3/27/2021 at 6:09 PM, KannikaP said:

Do they Spring Back and Fall Forward?   LOL

Southern Hemisphere. There was a lot of hoo haar in Oz one time about changing the clocks, not sure if they still do, but there are people that don't like it coz they think it fades the curtains faster. 

????????????    you can't make this stuff up

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Is there a reason why the UK cannot stay permanently in what is currently called summertime, rather than go through this nonsensical change twice a year ?

Eternal summertime does not make eternal summer.

Sunrise in December at 9 AM, quite dark until 10 AM?

External "summertime" is not the solution.

If you want to abolish the time shift you have to stick to the natural/solar time as close as possible. And don't call it "wintertime", it's just normal.

Midday, 12 o-clock and the sun at the highest point.

Aberdeen with summertime in December: sunrise 9:47, dark until about 11.

Edited by KhunBENQ
On 3/29/2021 at 7:34 AM, Thingamabob said:

Is there a reason why the UK cannot stay permanently in what is currently called summertime, rather than go through this nonsensical change twice a year ?

This was actually tried as an experiment between 1968 & 1971 and called British Standard Time:-

https://www.lexico.com/definition/british_standard_time

And bloody awful it was, too! I certainly didn't appreciate not only having get up in pitch darkness around the shortest day but also it not getting light until I was sat at my office desk in London by 9.00am on the dot! It was even worse further north in Scotland, of course, when dawn didn't break until gone 10.00am.????

I was mighty relieved when this harebrained experiment was scrapped and what passes for normality returned to life during a British winter!????

Edited by OJAS
On 3/27/2021 at 5:29 PM, KannikaP said:

Do you change clocks in USA?

I lived in Brazil for 20 years, working for a U.K. company with my regional office in the US .

The “ daylight savings “ ( as the ‘muricans) like to call it caused me some confusion, twice a year !!

The U.K. and US change their clocks a week apart and Brazil changed theirs some 3 weeks from them.

Brazil change theirs in the opposite direction ( Southern Hemisphere ) and only the bottom half of the country change, the top half do not.

They have cancelled the whole stupid thing now, but when I was living in Egypt they used to have DST which was introduced during the British era.

Except there was a twist. When Ramadan occurred during the summer months when clocks were advanced, sunset was deemed to be too late for those itching to get into their fast breaking evening meal, iftar it's called. 

So, during the month of Ramadan, the clocks were set back by an hour and then forward once again when the month was over. Talk about confusion. It was especially confusing for tourists who just couldn't get their heads around it.