Koh Lanta bridge: Environmental impacts finished this year, 1.6 billion budget sought in 2022

rooster59

bridge.JPG

Image: Daily News

Plans for a bridge to link Koh Lanta Klang and Koh Lanta Noi in Krabi are progressing.

Daily News reported that cabinet approval for the project will be sought possibly as early as next year.

The bridge is called an Extradosed Bridge that will be high enough to allow good clearance for sea transport. 

Dozens of such bridges have been constructed around the world according to Wikipedia. 

It is set to cost about 1.6 billion baht hopefully from the 2022 fiscal budget.

It will be 2,240 meters in length including the parts leading up to the actual span over the water itself. 

Environmental Impact Assessments will take place over the next seven months then these will be presented to the National Environment agency who will take two months to consider them.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-27

• Haha 1

The building of the first bridge only some years ago was fine and actually great for the locals, so they can easily transfer between Lanta Noi and Lanta Yai, without the need to take ferries.

This planned bridge to the main land will be a different story, I'm afraid. It could do more harm than good for the current vibe of the place. Get ready for tour busses and way to many tourists... if things get back to normal...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rosst said:

I have been there a few years ago and my thoughts are that a bridge will accelerate the destruction of a nice place. 

I stayed on Long Beach a few years back (3/4) and the lack of street lighting and a pavement to walk on did not give me any thoughts on it being a nice place....outside a restaurant we used there was a huge pothole that everyone swerved round to avoid...still the same 12 months later....we drive another hour down the road now to Ao Nang.

15 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Ferry - 25 cars. Bridge - unlimited cars.

what about controlling the number of cars in ??? what about charging/issuing a ticket to cross the bridge??? many different ways to peel a rabbit

On 3/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, Freigeist365 said:

Don't worry - when I was still living on Koh Lanta - some 29 years ago - everyone told me, "Man, would you believe it, next year the bridge is coming, the briiiidgee is coming, man!!!!" I renamed that elongated no-fun rock to "Koh Chuck Wow" after an agonizing year of asking myself, "What the F am I doing here?" and moved to greener pastures, a.k.a. Phuket Island. 

Visited a Lantanian friend of mine several years later... Guess what he told me, "Man, would you believe it, next year the bridge is coming, finally - the briiiidgee is coming, maaaan!!!!".

Then, in 2007 I had the immense pleasure to visit that island again as a close friend started a property business there... He gave me amazing news, "Man, would you believe it!!! Next year the bridge is coming, the briiiidgee is coming, man!!!!"...

2016, I met another Lantanian at a funeral of a good old friend of mine who unfortunately took his final breath on that god forsaken stretch of sand and coral rubble... He went, "Man, even I can't believe it, but would you? Next year the bridge is coming, the briiiidgee is coming, man!!!!" ...

Now, I see this "News" article and all I can do is to just laugh out loud and roll about on the floor - it's hilarious!!!

just like they are going to go to see the man in the moon !!!!!!

• Like 1