Condo Cooking ~ Induction Heater Plate ?

Bob4u

With limited space in a condo mini kitchen and no built in electric range top would people recommend a

plug in induction hot plate for simple stir fries, soup and the odd breakfast fried egg?

Any better options?  I've never used an induction heat system and will say not fond of electric range tops

as find gas flames allow the best control of your heat.

There is nothing better. Gas is often not allowed in Condos. Just be aware that all cooking pots and pans need to be magnetic. Aluminium alone will not work. There is a huge price range. Expensive is not necessary. Just look at the Watt and that it has a timer and other settings that you need. 

Edited by Oldie

I'd tend to get a good microwave & learn how to adapt recipes using the available microwave utensils....

I raised my daughter, basically, using me to cook/prepare meals...

I had a Nordic ware mw pressure cooker & could make everything from cakes, coffee, popcorn, heated stuff to a full on corned beef, cabbage, potato's (less than an hour) - and everything in between...It was a great appliance.....

I made sure our oldest daughter (here) had a nice one for her university flat.....

Frying in fat or lacing the walls with oil is not a good idea imo....

Edited by pgrahmm

We bought....I suppose you would call it....... an electric wok (no need for pots and pans).......excellent......fries, stir fries the lot......we take it away with us when we travel and cook when staying in Thai 'resorts'.

Of course, as you would expect, there is no earth wire.....but TIT.

Edited by Surelynot

i bought an Electrolux induction hob a few months back, it's very good, 2,000 watts but generally i have it on 1,000 or less. Once I've finished cooking i unplug and put in a kitchen cupboard.

You need special induction pans, i have 2 only, often they will have Induction written on the underneath

My hob below comes with a pan which I'll probably never use

Screenshot_2021-03-29-13-24-37-025_com.android.chrome.jpg

I bought one but wasn’t fond of it.  It was good at cooking liquids or soup like items but that was about it.  It would get very hot then cycle off repeatedly so slower cooking was out of the question and I would have to constantly stir the food.  It cost under 1000 baht so maybe a more expensive one would give better results?

1 minute ago, GregTN said:

I bought one but wasn’t fond of it.  It was good at cooking liquids or soup like items but that was about it.  It would get very hot then cycle off repeatedly so slower cooking was out of the question and I would have to constantly stir the food.  It cost under 1000 baht so maybe a more expensive one would give better results?

Not sure what you did. I have 3 of them. The most expensive one was more than 2000 Baht and the cheapest one 450 Baht. There is absolutely no difference how they cook. And slower cooking is no problem. All of them have even a setting to keep the food only warm. Just recently I had with friends a cheese fondue where the cheapest one did an excellent job to keep it at the right temperature.

What you should not use for frying are the thin metal pots that come with such induction heaters for free. Here you have to invest in a frying pan that can be used with induction. Do not buy aluminium only frying pans. Mostly it is written on the product description if they can be used with induction. Or you can test with a small magnet. If the magnet sticks to it then it will work.

Have been cooking with these things since they are on the market. Never had a problem and cook with them almost every day. 

Been here 3 years using electric induction.   I still prefer gas, but it's not allowed in the apartment.  The first one i had was from Imarflex. 1000฿.  Second one was Electrolux. 2000฿.  Both cooked food about the same, but the imarflex power cord burned it self to bits because the plug pins were of such poor quality (increased resistance after mechanical strain from normal use, hotter wires). I replaced the power cord with a higher quality cable including a NEMA 5-15P plug.  Worked for a while but then the fan took a <deleted>.   1  year on the Electrolux now and no problems.  the only thing i dont like about it is that the piezo buzzer / beep sound was so loud.  So I removed the buzzer from the PCB and  now I just look at the LEDs and display to confirm that a button press actually affected the setting. 

Edited by captainjackS
typo

2 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

Been here 3 years using electric induction.   I still prefer gas, but it's not allowed in the apartment.  The first one i had was from Imarflex. 1000฿.  Second one was Electrolux. 2000฿.  Both cooked food about the same, but the imarflex power cord burned it self to bits because the plug pins were of such poor quality (increased resistance after mechanical strain from normal use, hotter wires). I replaced the power cord with a higher quality cable including a NEMA 5-15P plug.  Worked for a while but then the fan took a <deleted>.   1  year on the Electrolux now and no problems.  the only thing i dont like about it is that the piezo buzzer / beep sound was so loud.  So I removed the buzzer from the PCB and  now I just look at the LEDs and display to confirm that a button press actually affected the setting. 

I have an expensive vacuum cleaner from Electrolux. It took 3 months and many calls and emails until I finally got it back from a warranty repair (I still have all the documentation as evidence otherwise I would not write this here). This is the reason why I have no other Electrolux product and will never have one again...