Australian Citizenship Test

Details of citizenship test revealed

Sample questions from the multiple choice citizenship quiz for immigrants to Australia have been revealed for the first time today.

According to the Herald Sun, would-be Australians will be expected to know the name of our national flower, the year when European settlers first arrived, and what Anzac Day commemorates.

Those are just three of the 200 possible questions which will be randomly served out in 20-question exams for citizenship hopefuls.

In another of the questions, exam-sitters will have to acknowledge the Judeo-Christian tradition as the basis for the nation's values system.

Immigrants won't need to memorise long lists of facts and figures, but they will need to know the basics about Australian culture, said Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews.

"It's the sort of thing you would expect someone who goes through school in Australia would know at the end of secondary school, and probably in some instances at the end of primary school," Andrews said.

However, Victorian Liberal MP Petro Georgiou has attacked the test, saying it would be a punishment for those with low literacy who happened to be born overseas.

"The plain fact is that thousands of people would fail such a test, even when English is their native language," he said.

Potential citizens will be allowed to sit the test after four years of "lawful residence" and at least 12 months of permanent residence.

The test will reportedly be based on The Australian Way of Life, a new resource book being written by the Immigration Department.

"Immigration is a process, not an event," Andrews continued.

"It must meet not only our economic objectives. Social cohesion and integration are equally important, as is the protection of our sovereignty and borders."

Peter

For those who want to try the test - here is a number of sample questions. I have lived in Australia most of my life and only scored 18 out of 20. A PASS is 60%.

Just wondering what is required to pass the Thai citizenship test? On second thoughts, how many people born outside Thailand have been accepted as Thai citizens.

Details of citizenship test revealed

Sample questions from the multiple choice citizenship quiz for immigrants to Australia have been revealed for the first time today.

Quite a change from the olden days when prospective Australians simply entered a room with a loaf of bread on the table. If you came out with the loaf of bread you were granted citizenship (and free passage), if you came out empty handed you could stay at home ...

20/20

As an Australian born and bred, i found this to be relatively easy.

As a husband whose wife will probably have to go through this in years to come, i disagree with it.

I do not see why my wife should need to do a test to become an Australian citizen.

I am Australian and my wife is my chosen partner.

IMHO that should be enough to qualify her for Australian Citizenship.

I do not have a problem with a waiting period for her to become Australian, but do not see what right my government has to dictate to me, that my wife must sit a test to adaopt my nationality.

I wil stop now before this becomes a rant...

Climbing down off my high horse now..

I got 2 wrong :D can I get my citizenship now :D

but seriously....I thought australian values would be based on secularism...but the answer said judaeo-christian tradition :D and the flowers the flowers :o next they will ask people to name each of the state flower :D

Is that test translated into many languages? eg Thai,Mandarin,Cantonese etc? Lol there is some questions left off that test.

1) What is Australia's most popular beer?

2) What's a 'sheila' ?

3) Why is John Howard a <deleted>?

4) Besides beer drinking what is Australia's national pasttime?

5) Why do we have the GST?

6) Why do so many people want to immigrate?

7) Can you sing the national anthem?

8) Why do you want to be an Aussie?

9) What do you call an Aussie in a pub?

10) If you can't answer all our questions why don't you bugger off to New Zealand?

Cheers

20/20

Am a better australian than all of you. Barton was the first prime minister.

As a superior Australian (not an 18/20 one), I say this test is stupid and should be scrapped. My Thai grandma who spoke no english couldn't read a word, was better integrated into our local community and was well respected, and was a better Australian than many people you will ever meet. Amazing what a bit of patience and sign language can achive.

I've got a cousin who works his butt off employing many people, bringing export dollars into Australia running a fleet of coaches to show tourists the best of victoria. His written English is limited, and there would be no way he'd pass the test if he had to apply for his citizenship today.

This test stinks. All it is a form of conservative political correctness as a sop to the migrant bashing vote in Australia. If we must have a test the question should be:

1) John Howard is

a) An absolute disgrace

b') A <deleted>

c) Turd munching politician

d) All of the above.

It is good to see that the consensus in the Australian media is that it is all <deleted>.

Most people who are commenting on it are giving quite a negative view...

Knowing that Barton was the first PM will not help most people to integrate into life in Australia.

How long the aboriginal community has been present in Australia is mere speculation anyway.

What animals are on the coat of arms will not help someone to be a better ozzie.

I got 10/20 only

I have only been to Australia a few times on business

I wouldthink though that if you lived in Australia for a few months you would easily pass the 60% mark

The average Aussie wouldn't know the answer to most of those he's too busy in the pub! Don't know Australia's first prime minister wasn't born yet! Thought the national flower was the Waratah! Anyways it's a history test what if Thailand had the same test what questions would they ask?

1) How much is a bar fine?

2) Where is The Terminus in BKK?

3) What do you call a Thai girl that is actually not a girl?

4) How much money do you make?

5) Would you go to Isaan to get a wife?

6) What's the Thai word for 'stupid'?

7) How many times have you fallen for a Thai sop story about sick mother/relatives and given money?

8) How many buffalos did you give at your wedding?

9) How many soi dogs have you murdered?

10) How many condoms have you used since you've been in Thailand?

Edited by Momo8

Come to Australia, hold on to your own traditions, and embrace ours.

You are not entitled to ignore the laws and ideals of Australia that don't marry with the laws and religious teachings of the country you have forsaken.

It's very simple, if you want to be Australian play the game, don't hold (for example) the qur'an up as a higher authority and as an excuse for behaviour and actions that offend the country that adopted you.

20/20...

Edited by mullup

I think the questions are not very difficult because the immigration is about to accept you as a citizen. I think ppl who have a chance to take this test is probably have passed for all other (harder) requirements. This may be just a paper work to make sure that you suppose to know about the basic things for the country you want to live in (supposedly the rest of your life)

however, i don't pass the test...gulp!

For Thailand, I'm not sure how they do but I think they have some sort of paper test. To sing a national anthem could be an oral test. But in thailand you have twice-a-day chance to hear the national anthem... Thai ppl think it's too easy but if you are a foreigner who can't speak THai properly...maybe not easy. The Royal Anthem could be another test.

The sport question was pretty stupid and short sighted. I answered it correctly, cricket, but who is to say that the other sports are not popular. In many ways they are popular, just not mainstream. So it begs the question what has that got to do with the price of eggs, of weather someone is suitable for Australian citizenship? The whole thing is a load of rot. Oh I got 19/20, I failed on the number of Aussie states. Should have counted them in my head first, but that is hardly the point.

There are 100 possible questions out of which they choose 20 at random so what are the other 80?If you go into a school and give that test to kids most would fail.Show kids three pictures one of Ronald MacDonald,one of Santa Claus and one of John Howard and ask 'Who is the prime minister?' Most couldn't pick him out.What does that say about actual citizens knowing the answers.

I am an Aussie citizen but I would object to taking this test if I wasn't...I have lived here continuously since 11 yo and served in the defence of the country, and they would reject me if I couldn't answer some trivia game show questions ???

I did pass the sample test provided...but it would be hard for someone who has been here just the minimum time required and who comes from a non english speaking country.

I would support applications supported by statements from Oz citizens saying that the applicant has integrated well into Oz society and has lead a lawful life since arrival.

That to me makes more sense than the current proposition.

I don't have an issue with requiring potential citizens to spend 2-10 hours learning about the basic history of our nation. It wouldn't hurt to ask them to burn some chops & snags (and barramundi for the quasi-vego's) on a bbq for their practical exam too (and then eat it.)

• 2 weeks later...

15/20

never been to Australia, not a native speaker of English, never read anything about Australia

My exposure to Australia is quite limited: I once knew a guy from Tasmania - the only thing I remember is that houses in Australia are very very very cheap, like 50000 B for a million sqm or so. And I once had a gf from New Zealand who had a colleague from Australia (or was that America? not sure)