Recipes For Tom Yum Gai And Yum Wun Sen Gai

m155g0ld

Hi Guys,

I adore these 2 dishes when I manage to explain well enough to order them exactly as I want them when we eat out. However, I would really love to know how to make them at home as they are healthy alternatives to most of the wetsern meals I cook, plus I would love to be able to experiment with them to get the perfect flavor and amount of heat for my taste.

I have tried buying the tom yum paste from the supermarket but it always contains too much fish sauce for me and usually dried shrimp too which I hate. I am also yet to find a supermarket that sells limes/lemons which are needed for both Tom Yum and Yum Wun Sen so I end up 'borrowing' them from my friend's pub!

Anyway, if anyone has a simple ish recipe for either or both dishes I'd be grateful for the info.

Cheers! :o

I have the same problem as you have about tom yam. My preferred tom yam paste is that from GLOBO FOOD Ltd, 482/1 soi pookmitr, Rod Rang Kao road, Samwongtai phrapradaeng, Samu Prakan.

Does not contain any shrimp or fish extract and this is how it should be. You have to add those yourself according to own taste; I prefer crab paste agains shrimp paste.

When abroad, you have yet another problem with the lime and the lemon grass which are hard or impossible to be found in the right quality. In most countries you can buy lemon grass paste in the can or jar. Don't bother to try the canned lemon grass (whole) it has no taste. The paste is OK. For the lime you probably never can get the right stuff so i use to replace the lime with lemon acid (citric acid) which is a white powder you can buy from any drug store, also in Thailand. Just add a very small quantity of powder to your tom yam to have the right taste for you. Be careful this powder is very sour, so you need very little, but gives the very orginal taste when used properly.

when i cook .. i just estimate for ingredients but i know farang love measuring :o

ok i find tom yum gai recipe and its reliable

http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/tom_yum_gai.php

Ingredients

400 grams (about 1lb) boneless chicken meat diced

3 cups chicken stock

100 grams (3.5 oz) straw mushrooms,

halved 6 cherry tomatoes

1 fresh lemon grass stem cut into short lengths

2-3 kaffir lime leaves, torn

3 tbsp Thai fish sauce

4 tbsp fresh lime juice

1/2 tsp sugar

5-6 hot fresh Thai chilies, just broken with pestle

Preparation

Place the stock in a pot, add the lemon grass and kaffir lime leavess, and bring to boil over medium heat. Add the chicken meat, mushroom, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar; cook slowly and uncovered for 10 minutes. Do not stir. Then add the tomatoes and chilies and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat. 4 servings.

ps. if you dont like fish sauce ..use salt instead.

- - --

Yum Woon Sen

http://www.thai-flavor.com/yumwoonsen.html

100 g. (3.5 oz.) Bean thread noodles (woon sen)

1 Teaspoon vegetable oil (nam man)

1/2 lb. Ground pork (moo sub) or ground chicken (gai sub)

4 Tablespoons lime juice (nam ma now)

3 Tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)

1 Tablespoon sugar (nam tarn)

4 Thai chili peppers (prik kee noo), finely chopped

1/2 Medium white onion (haum yai), sliced thin

1/2 Cup chopped cilantro (puk she)

1/4 Cup chopped green onion (ton haum)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

1. Heat vegetable oil and cook ground pork or chicken, set aside.

2. Cook bean thread noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, set aside.

3. In a small bowl, mix lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and Thai chili pepper together.

4. In a medium bowl, add bean thread noodles, cooked ground pork/chicken ,white onion, cilantro and green onion. Pour the mixture juice over and mix well together. Serve as appetizer

Makes 2 servings

ps. if you dont like fish sauce ..use salt instead.

Edited by BambinA

Hi Guys,

I adore these 2 dishes when I manage to explain well enough to order them exactly as I want them when we eat out. However, I would really love to know how to make them at home as they are healthy alternatives to most of the wetsern meals I cook, plus I would love to be able to experiment with them to get the perfect flavor and amount of heat for my taste.

I have tried buying the tom yum paste from the supermarket but it always contains too much fish sauce for me and usually dried shrimp too which I hate. I am also yet to find a supermarket that sells limes/lemons which are needed for both Tom Yum and Yum Wun Sen so I end up 'borrowing' them from my friend's pub!

Anyway, if anyone has a simple ish recipe for either or both dishes I'd be grateful for the info.

Cheers! :o

I haven't tried the Tom Yum paste yet (I have a few packets), but yesterday I tried some green curry with chicken. It was way too hot. Not like what I had when there. Girl friend said I should have addes some coconut milk to it. Didn't have any off hand.

How about using soy sauce instead? It always seems to me to be the perfect substitute for fish sauce.

soya suace is fine (looks like vegan 's food).Anyway ,methinks it may have a funny smell.

However, don't add lemon/lime juice in boiling soup.It will have a bitter taste.

Add it later in your bowl.

Add a lot less fish sauce than the reciple says. Put a third of the amount recommended. Also, the use of soy sauce is a good one. There are so many different types. In some very spicy dishes I use a sweet soy sauce to balance the flavours.

Experiment and have fun.

I've been experimenting with the Tom Yum paste packets. No matter what I do, it comes out too hot. On one of the packets, it said to add broth. Does anyone know what type of broth they were talking about? Maybe chicken?

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem as you have about tom yam. My preferred tom yam paste is that from GLOBO FOOD Ltd, 482/1 soi pookmitr, Rod Rang Kao road, Samwongtai phrapradaeng, Samu Prakan.

Does not contain any shrimp or fish extract and this is how it should be. You have to add those yourself according to own taste; I prefer crab paste agains shrimp paste.

When abroad, you have yet another problem with the lime and the lemon grass which are hard or impossible to be found in the right quality. In most countries you can buy lemon grass paste in the can or jar. Don't bother to try the canned lemon grass (whole) it has no taste. The paste is OK. For the lime you probably never can get the right stuff so i use to replace the lime with lemon acid (citric acid) which is a white powder you can buy from any drug store, also in Thailand. Just add a very small quantity of powder to your tom yam to have the right taste for you. Be careful this powder is very sour, so you need very little, but gives the very orginal taste when used properly.

I believe,that many people face the problem getting all these South-Asian ingredients. It’srather difficult to find galangal orlemongrass in local store. Thai online shops could be useful. They send freshingredients from Thailand worldwide check this http://tomyumrecipe.com

post-119176-0-71963900-1291736109_thumb.