Recommend Flight To The Uk? (lhr)

steffi

Seeking recommendations for flights from Bangkok to London (LHR)

I haven't taken this journey in a while but what are fares like at this time and who's a good carrier to fly with? Perhaps Cathay thru Hong Kong? of Singapore thru Singapore?

my tip, Swiss, Austrian or Lufthansa via a 1 hours stop over in their EU hub, and then on to London City Airport. 15 mins from the plane to the Docklands Light rail sure beats the heck out of arriving at heathrow!

Wife wouldn't have schengan visa ... don't know if they can transit without visa.

Buckhurst Hill is my eventual destination

Economy class... hence preference for Asian oriented airlines.

Doesn't have to be direct I guess depending on the cost saving.

Where is your final destination in the UK and what class do you want to fly? As you have stated LHR then I assume a direct flight is of more interest?
Edited by steffi

I haven't taken this journey in a while but what are fares like at this time and who's a good carrier to fly with? Perhaps Cathay thru Hong Kong? of Singapore thru Singapore?

You dont say what time of year but Singapore Airline is excellent but will add a couple of hours to your journey. Malaysian has specials on at the moment. EVA is the best (price advantage) for direct flight. ETIHAD via Doha is also very competitive, convenient and many like a stop in the middle of the journey.

Here is a General Price Guide

Wife wouldn't have schengan visa ... don't know if they can transit without visa.

Where is your final destination in the UK and what class do you want to fly? As you have stated LHR then I assume a direct flight is of more interest?

Buckhurst Hill huh, only a couple of miles away from me.

EVA is my preferred mode of transport these days, good price and good legroom. Also have your own TV unlike Thai last time I flew with them.

I have just booked

Air Asia Bangkok to Macau

Oasis Hong Kong to Gatwick return

Cebu Pacific Hong Kong to Manila then Manila to Bangkok

in September

Total cost about 350 GBP

thats of alot of flying for a little money.

do you get to break your journey?

Edited by highchol

I not sure of the fares at moment but traditionaly there are some good deals available on the routes you mention. Ive flown them in the past to save a little when flying with the family, but the downside is ofcourse they are long journeys. Ok if your by yourself but not so pleasant with kids.

I will never do it agan.. if I can afford not to!

In that case sorry I can't help as I don't have experience of economy travel for years but for business, and assuming the transit is not a problem I have always got good prices with KLM. Direct for first or even business then it must be Quantas in my book, definately not BA these days.

Well a normal route is chicago to bkk on JAL so "long" is relative.

I not sure of the fares at moment but traditionaly there are some good deals available on the routes you mention. Ive flown them in the past to save a little when flying with the family, but the downside is ofcourse they are long journeys. Ok if your by yourself but not so pleasant with kids.

I will never do it agan.. if I can afford not to!

I have used Eithad, EVA, Air India and Thai in the last 6 months.

Eithad: Fantastic in flight entertainment (IFE), reasonable leg room, stop over adds time and uncertainty

EVA: Direct, good IFE, good legroom

Air India: The worst travel experience in my life!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE AIR INDIA EVEN IF IT IS FREE!!!! Rubbish legroom no IFE, ridiculous scheduling, rubbish planes

Thai: Direct, Fantastic legroom, most comfortable seats, no personal IFE

To narrow it down, since my ordeal with AirIndia I will not fly indirect again so that leaves EVA and Thai. The costs are usually similar (£460 return) and they fly out at the same time. If you really want your own personal IFE then go EVA but I tend to read and listen to my ipod so not as important to me.

I will be booking very soon and will go Thai again unless I get a much better deal on EVA.

I used to fly with emirates, then found out that Qatar was a lot cheaper so flew them a couple of times - but neither trip was comfortable. Terrible airline.

Like others I recommend Etihad too. Food and service are very average but if you can put up with that then it's a cheap flight with good entertainment.

Good luck!

There are 4 direct flight BKK-LHR a day. BA, QF, TG, BR. Maybe 5 on some days.

One would believe there were more.

Then the price war starts with airlines flying to their bases, with stopovers.