Transporting Cat From Bangkok To Portugal

There is a possibility i will be leaving Thailand.

I have a 1 year old blind cat who i love very much. As i don't know any cat lovers living in Bangkok that could care for her i am considering flying her to my parents home in Portugal.

I would like to ask people who have done a similar thing a few questions.

1. How much will it cost approximately?

2. Which is the best airline to transport animals with?

3. Is it possible to fly her unacompanied?

4. Would she need to spend any time in quarantine? She has all her vaccinations up to date.

I would be grateful for any help you could offer.

Thank you.

I have a 1 year old blind cat who i love very much. As i don't know any cat lovers living in Bangkok that could care for her i am considering flying her to my parents home in Portugal.

1. How much will it cost approximately? Depends on how the cat travels. If traveling with you as excess luggage, you can better ask the airline company and at the check in counters at the airport. If the cat goes cargo, it depends on the weight of the cat with the travel crate, or the volume of the crate. That what is the highest they will take as price. (well, this is a great sentence, hope you'll understand otherwise, please, native English speakers translate ...) If you know the weight of cat and crate and the measurements of the crate, then at the carge at the airport they can tell you how much the travel costs to Portugal will be.

2. Which is the best airline to transport animals with? Not sure, but I know of people they have traveled with their animals with China Airlines and others with Thai Airways. One even with Turkish Airways.

3. Is it possible to fly her unacompanied? Yep, when she goes with cargo.

4. Would she need to spend any time in quarantine? She has all her vaccinations up to date. Not in Thailand. In Portugal i don't know, You better contact the Embassy. Probably you can find the details on line.

I would be grateful for any help you could offer. Sorry, I can't help you much more. But if you search this forum, there is more info on this subject. Have you look at the pinned subject, already?

Thank you.

I'm not sure about a cat, but a few years ago, I went through the hassle of buying a Tse-Tsui sp? puppy for my daughter in Thailand and she took it back on the airplane to the USA. That was a lot of hassle. First, there is an age requirement for "exporting" animals, but you should be ok there (3 months). Next, you need to take the animal for inspection and have shots, etc., to the exporting department close to Don Muang airport in Bangkok, and get all kinds of certificates, etc.. You will get some type of export certificate, and this also depends on the country where you will enter and their requirements (I think yo said Portugal - check with them). Finally, check with the airlines and their policy. My daughter was able to carry the dog in the cabin with her in a dog carrier without any problems. You should take a Thai person with you to these various customs and animal control departments, but luckily, they are all in the same area close to Don Muang, unless they have moved to the new airport now.

1. How much will it cost approximately?depends my friend brought his dogs to india around THB 280 per kilo including the cage. this is for excess baggage not sure for cargo.

2. Which is the best airline to transport animals with?thai airways accepts pets

3. Is it possible to fly her unacompanied?yes, better check with tahi airways

4. Would she need to spend any time in quarantine? She has all her vaccinations up to date.In thailand no need. you just have to bring it in the animal quarantine division in the freezone at the new airport.bring all necessary docs like the cat's medical records and microchip if any. you need to get a health certificate there and would only cost THB50 and wait just 30 mins for them to issue if you cat is ok.

I would be grateful for any help you could offer.hope this helps.

Big Move

hi,

maybe u should check with your local agency when u purchase the air ticket...they know the nessasary arrangement..

or u can check with this book...Travel Information Manual...aka T.I.M...

all the best...

do not send your live animal thru cargo flight...as they will be junk at the cargo building for hours and its bad for the animal..

cheers