Tips And Ideas

Provence

Hi :o

We are coming back to Thailand in November for a 4 week holiday, before a major surgery in december in Thailand (great doctors and hospitals) - and no waiting lists ( scandinavian phenomenon).

Having heard great things about Hua Hin - I was wondering if you had any tips on what to do and see.

Do you have any recommendations for accomodation?

Pricing does not matter - relaxation is most important.

This time around we had to stay in Pattaya - which neither of us liked.

For some I am sure its a great place - however it wasnt for us.

I red quite a bit in the Pattaya forum with the result - beeing scared to even step outside the

hotel compound.

I have traveled quite a bit during my "younger" years (32 now), but Pattays was really something - quite a shame.

Anyway, any tips would be most welcome :D

Best regards

Provence

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thank you!!

Hi there,

Hua-Hin is a very nice place for relaxing and to recover from your surgery OP. You will love it like I do... :-)

For an accommodation, if you want to spend more than one week in Hua-Hin, I recommend you stay in an apartment instead of the hotel. There are plenty of offers from luxury fully furnished apartment. For the same amount of money that you gonna pay for one hotel room at Marriott or Sofitel, you will get 2-Bedrooms, 2 Bathroom, 1 Living-Room, 1 Kitchen and the facilities like in hotel except Breakfast service. I am not a big eater, so for me it was not a problem at all. I had a very good experience with thoes apartments and very confident to recommend them to you. Please visit this website and make your own dicision : www.huahin-holidays.com

There are lots to do in Hua-Hin and the surrounding area, lots of culture and natur and sport activities..... At the new shopping mall "Market Village" is also plenty of restaurants and brand name stores incl. Cinemas, Bowling and so one...

Of course the beach in Hua-Hin is much nicer and cleaner than the beach in Pattaya....

I gonna be in Hua-Hin myself again at the end of July.... and again during X´Mas....

Cheers,

Hi :o

We are coming back to Thailand in November for a 4 week holiday, before a major surgery in december in Thailand (great doctors and hospitals) - and no waiting lists ( scandinavian phenomenon).

Having heard great things about Hua Hin - I was wondering if you had any tips on what to do and see.

Do you have any recommendations for accomodation?

Pricing does not matter - relaxation is most important.

This time around we had to stay in Pattaya - which neither of us liked.

For some I am sure its a great place - however it wasnt for us.

I red quite a bit in the Pattaya forum with the result - beeing scared to even step outside the

hotel compound.

I have traveled quite a bit during my "younger" years (32 now), but Pattays was really something - quite a shame.

Anyway, any tips would be most welcome :D

Best regards

Provence

Hua Hin has nothing to offer other than being quieter than Pattaya. In fact, almost dead.

Golfers may find some joy but otherwise there is nothing worth a look. Except traffic jams that are from hel_l and (to me) not explainable.

The village is still sobering to their mini shopping mall where, 21st century, it takes less than 10 minutes to charge you for your shopping basket.

The beach is useless, murky, jelly fish infested, you may even be attacked by always present stray dogs.

Whatever you do there, be sure you are self contained. An apartment , as somebody suggested. With all the precautions, you are better off in Pattaya where those things (bad and good) are known.

thinktoomutt, that's a harsh assessment against Hua Hin. Even though I got bit by a dog and by a jellyfish, I swam every day near Anantasila resort and the beach was fine. I agree the traffic is bad in high season, but isn't that true to a large extent in other tourist places? These folks have tried Pattaya and didn't like it.

thinktoomutt, that's a harsh assessment against Hua Hin. Even though I got bit by a dog and by a jellyfish, I swam every day near Anantasila resort and the beach was fine. I agree the traffic is bad in high season, but isn't that true to a large extent in other tourist places? These folks have tried Pattaya and didn't like it.

Ah, the folks who proclaimed "Pattaya was really something - quite a shame" know what a harsh assessment is.

Yes, by many reasonable standards, the beaches at Hua Hin (there are several, and I never swam downtown) are acceptable. The water is murky, so you can't snorkel (not much to see anyway). You can watch the sun come up, walk the beach, stop at places along the way and buy food or drink at reasonable prices. It surely beats Galveston, or several more along the Gulf of Mexico, all the way down to Veracruz. It's much warmer than the Aran Islands of Ireland, or Hudson Bay. :o

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Provence,

I haven't stayed at the 'Dusit' but went there the other day for a meal and thought that it looked extremely good. The food was excellent - a fixed price carvery on a Monday evening for 750B. I understand that the hotel has recently undegone a refurbishment and if the ground floor and dining rooms are anything to go by it was beautiful and has excellent huge swimming pool and private beach frontage and local transport into HH.

It is located just north of the Hua-Hin airport; no problems with noise though, as flights are restricted to about 3 flights a day from Bangkok, to save annoying the King, who's summer palace is located nearby. Flights from Bangkok take about 40 minutes on a 12 seater and are reasonably priced if you don't want to take a taxi from Bangkok - taxi fares cost about 2500B and takes about 3 hours.

Hope the info is of some use.

pm me if you want the telephone numbers of reliable taxis from HH to pick you up in Bangkok, these are people that we have used ourselves in the past and are safe drivers with good vehicles.