Which Newspaper do you read?

ivor bigun

5 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Oh the old Guardian ,i reckon so few people read it is why they are always begging for money ,Daily Mail online is free.

The Guardian's is free for all. They encourage people who can afford it to pay. And that model is very successful. They get enough money from people who want to pay and don't have to pay.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/01/guardian-breaks-even-helped-by-success-of-supporter-strategy

I am one of those people who voluntary pay because I think it's important to support good and independent journalism.

And for the record: Yes, there are good and bad articles in the Guardian. But I don't know any other publisher with more good articles.

I also check Al Jazeera for news from another perspective. In the past their reports about Thai politics was often more accurate than any other international source which I read.

And let's not forget StickBoy for certain local news. He is well informed. 

• Like 1

I scan:

The Sun for larfs about bums, boobs etc

The Guardian for snowflake/woke articles (they are so PC, it's almost unreal)

The Times for decent articles, (but I need to subscribe for the full articles)

To be honest, I don't miss any news from the UK.  It's not my world anymore - gone woke and cancelling history!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The Guardian's is free for all. They encourage people who can afford it to pay. And that model is very successful. They get enough money from people who want to pay and don't have to pay.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/01/guardian-breaks-even-helped-by-success-of-supporter-strategy

I am one of those people who voluntary pay because I think it's important to support good and independent journalism.

And for the record: Yes, there are good and bad articles in the Guardian. But I don't know any other publisher with more good articles.

I also check Al Jazeera for news from another perspective. In the past their reports about Thai politics was often more accurate than any other international source which I read.

And let's not forget StickBoy for certain local news. He is well informed. 

The Guardian is owned by the Scott trust,that exists to maintain the editorial and financial independence of the Guardian.Take out a subscription costs about €70 a year about the price of a short time.Its needed more than ever.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

I scan:

The Sun for larfs about bums, boobs etc

The Guardian for snowflake/woke articles (they are so PC, it's almost unreal)

The Times for decent articles, (but I need to subscribe for the full articles)

To be honest, I don't miss any news from the UK.  It's not my world anymore - gone woke and cancelling history!

The Guardian allows all those 4 letter words in comments. How PC is that?

Some articles, mostly in the opinion section, are from those woke people. It's easy to skip them.

And they report news from all over the world, not just the UK. They have multiple editions and they reader can chose, i.e. I read the international edition.

I used to be  solely a Telegraph reader but I had to give it up because the real news content was so low. Then I started reading the Guardian which remains pretty useful. But I also scan the NY Times, SCMP, The Bangkok Post and Bloomberg, I get something useful from all of them. The days of reading just one UK newspaper are a thing of the past, if you want to remain current and understand what's going on in the world.

Newspapers, now that's a quaint old thing, Do they still exist ? I used to have a slide rule once but never kept it either unfortunately so I'll have a hunt around to see  if I have any squares of the Sun, Guardian, Express etc still hanging around in the toilet ????

• Haha 1