Blood Test Results – looking for answers .

Bill Poster

I am trying to help a Thai friend who has a thyroid problem , I went with them to hospital and the doctor had a blood test done on my friend. According to the doctor the results of the blood test No.1 showed elevated FT3 and FT4 and a low number for TSH.

The doctor then arranged a second more detailed blood test ( Blood Test No.2 ) . My friend had that second blood test done and has to return to the doctor next week to hear about the results of the Blood Test 2. I will be going with my friend to hear the results of the Blood Test No.2 , in the meantime I have been trying to get some idea as to what the normal test results parameters should be for the items shown on the Blood Test No. 2 list . I've tried searching but the results seem some what confusing , so could any one please point me in the right direction where I can find a simple answer as to what the normal test results should be for the items shown on the Blood Test No.2 list.

My friends currently has only two symptoms relating to his thyroid problem . His Thyroid gland is swollen and he is loosing weight . 

BT-1.jpg

BT-2.jpg

15 minutes ago, faraday said:

The 'normal' or therapeutic levels, as determined by the lab that made the test, are given at the top right under 'Reference'.

Yes, simple. Of course Google will also give values (quite similar).

As you can see: all values are extremely out of normal range.

I have no expertise about this, so wait for qualified comment.

Good luck to your friend.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am confused about your note "Blood Test No 2"?

I only see a price list. Total 2645 Baht?

The graphic shows the results and cost of blood test #1. Since the OP's friend hasn't received the results of the Blood test #2 yet, there's nothing there.

I think the graphic provided by the OP is an edited copy/paste job for brevity and anonymity.

• Thanks 1

Thanks every one , your input is appreciated .????

The Blood Test No.2 screen shot is only from the original invoice when my friend had paid for that blood test , the final results of Blood Test No. 2 , will be shown by the doctor next week . I was hoping that I could go pre armed with what the normal value range should be relating to the items shown on Blood Test No.2 screenshot,  as some sort of reference. May be its just a matter of waiting until the doctor reveals what the Blood Test No.2 numbers are when we go and see him next week .

This thyroid issue looks like it could be a long road to recovery .????

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Your friend's test results clearly indicate he is hyperthyroid.

The next blood test might be either or both of these:

(Radioiodine uptake test)a blood test taken 4-24 hours after taking an oral pill containing radioactive iodine .

Thyroid antibodies

The results will help distinguish between thyroditis, Graves' disease or hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules (as may occur in thyroid tumors)

If your friend was asked to take a pill (or alternately was given an injection, but pill more likely) before the second blood test then it will have been a radioidine uptake test. If not then probably thyroid antibodies.

Depending on the results,  your friend may need a thyroid scan next

Thank you 

The only thing the doctor told my friend before Blood Test No. 2 was not to eat or drink any thing after midnight before undergoing the blood test . The doctor never mentioned taking a pill or other drugs  or having an injection preceding the blood test .  I will post back what the doctor say's about the blood test results after the appointment next week.

30 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

sounds like your 'Friend' needs to get some more detailed tests done.

I hope your 'Friend' has good Medical Insurance.  Just in case

Thanks for your comment.????

My Thai friend has access to the local Thai government hospital under what I think is called the 30 Baht scheme. I have been to that local government hospital and frankly was not that impressed , so I happily volunteered to pay for him to see a doctor and undergo tests at a better hospital . 

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Your friend's test results clearly indicate he is hyperthyroid.

The next blood test might be either or both of these:

(Radioiodine uptake test)a blood test taken 4-24 hours after taking an oral pill containing radioactive iodine .

Thyroid antibodies

The results will help distinguish between thyroditis, Graves' disease or hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules (as may occur in thyroid tumors)

If your friend was asked to take a pill (or alternately was given an injection, but pill more likely) before the second blood test then it will have been a radioidine uptake test. If not then probably thyroid antibodies.

Depending on the results,  your friend may need a thyroid scan next

There are FOUR lab tests for thyroid antibodies, two for autoimmune hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) & two for hyperthyroid (Graves'). To narrow this down, you should get results for all of these. The resukts need to be evaluated by a senior endocrinologist, not a GP. Public hospitals are great for this. No reason to pay such high prices for labs. Labs are kabs.

However, quality of the medical staff at a public hospital to which the 30 baht programme is attached may not be great. If you are not satisfied, the primary hospital can refer, at no extra charge, to a more senior hospital with more experience.

Yes, thyroid diseases are a beggar. Many thyroid patients resolve with normal treatment. However, a percentage, like mine, do not.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Thank you 

The only thing the doctor told my friend before Blood Test No. 2 was not to eat or drink any thing after midnight before undergoing the blood test . The doctor never mentioned taking a pill or other drugs  or having an injection preceding the blood test .  I will post back what the doctor say's about the blood test results after the appointment next week.

I am unclear, was the test already done or not? because if done, surely your friend knows if they were gioven a pill or injection or not.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

Thanks for your comment.????

My Thai friend has access to the local Thai government hospital under what I think is called the 30 Baht scheme. I have been to that local government hospital and frankly was not that impressed , so I happily volunteered to pay for him to see a doctor and undergo tests at a better hospital . 

The quality of care at a higher level government hospitals is usually as good or better than at a private hospital. Don't confuse the amenities, newness of the building, appearance of the facility etc with medical quality.

This will get very expensive fast at a private hospital if scans etc are required.

If the govt hospital where your  friend is registered under the 30 baht scheme doesn't have an endocrinologist they can refer to a higher level hospital that does. in which case still covered under the "30 baht" scheme.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The quality of care at a higher level government hospitals is usually as good or better than at a private hospital. Don't confuse the amenities, newness of the building, appearance of the facility etc with medical quality.

This will get very expensive fast at a private hospital if scans etc are required.

If the govt hospital where your  friend is registered under the 30 baht scheme doesn't have an endocrinologist they can refer to a higher level hospital that does. in which case still covered under the "30 baht" scheme.

You have a very good point ????

My Thai friend had the blood test No. 2 done and was not asked by any one to take a pill or have an injection before the actual blood test . 

My personal reaction to not being impressed by the local Government hospital was based on the hospitals overall poor appearance , paint peeling from walls, cramped and over crowded open wards and general what seemed to be a lack of maintenance . May be as your say I’m getting confused by the hospitals physical appearance Vs the hospitals actual facility's and medical quality . The saying never judge a book by its cover now springs to mind ????.

"poor appearance , paint peeling from walls, cramped and over crowded open wards and general what seemed to be a lack of maintenance " describes pretty much every public hospital here (and indeed in many countries) except for a few with special funding sources (eg those affiliated with universities or under royal patronage)

Has nothing to do with the quality of medical care, in fact the crowding is a positive sign as people do vote with their feet

Likewise the lack of investment in maintainance and physical appearance is because limited funds are allocated for higher  priority

most public hospitals here do amazing things given their lack of funds.

And unlike private hospitals will never treat unnecessarily or otherwise scam patients.

Where it does sometimes pay for a patient at a public hospital to have a consultation at a private one is when they need more time to talk with the doctor/more detailed explanations. Often not possible in crowded public hospital.

Sounds like your friend had thyroid antibody test. Depending on results next step may be a scan.

• Like 2