Hire driver and car to get back to CM ?

mja1906

Our return flights back to CM keep getting cancelled, so it looks like the only way to go is by road. Want to avoid public transport (if it is even running at the moment) and am travelling with children. Any way to hire a car and driver to take us back to CM? Any idea about the cost for this? Thanks

I've made the trip by road a couple of times and have always broken the journey around Hua Hin...it's not the easiest of drives at times. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone driving me non-stop for that length of time, especially in Thailand, double especially with kids. A friend made the trip non-stop and got to Lampang and his engine blew, almost there but not quite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

According to Google,Phuket to Chiang Mai is around 1500km and will take around 21hrs ! by road.

Train would be my first look before considering a road trip like that with kids .

For info, look at this

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Phuket/Chiang-Mai

Thanks....I'm wondering if trains are even operating right now? I guess I'm concerned about using public transport during these covid times....but having said that the trains could be very quiet right now ?? 

4 hours ago, Brierley said:

I've made the trip by road a couple of times and have always broken the journey around Hua Hin...it's not the easiest of drives at times. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone driving me non-stop for that length of time, especially in Thailand, double especially with kids. A friend made the trip non-stop and got to Lampang and his engine blew, almost there but not quite.

Thanks, yeah would definitely break it up by spending 1 - 2 nights somewhere along the way. I really don't want to make this road trip as its so long, but I might not have any choice. The driver who we would hire is a friend, so we know he's a good driver and would take care on the roads. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

"Our" and "children" indicate 4 people or more. You need a van. I'd say at least 5,000, most likely more. Have you checked 1st class sleeper train?

Yup, we are 4 people with lots of luggage. So would need a van? 5,000bt doesnt actually sound that bad, we were quoted 10,000bt. Not even sure if trains are running right now? Don't really fancy using public transport at this time, but then again if everyone is thinking that the train could be very quiet?

I'm stranded in Phuket too, a friend here in the same situation was quoted B60,000 for a van to CM

that quote may be pure speculation. 

We might just wait it out as CM is in lockdown and no fun at all.

I have no kids and no job to attend and this place is nice and clean with minimal tourists here

4 hours ago, mja1906 said:

Yup, we are 4 people with lots of luggage. So would need a van? 5,000bt doesnt actually sound that bad, we were quoted 10,000bt. Not even sure if trains are running right now? Don't really fancy using public transport at this time, but then again if everyone is thinking that the train could be very quiet?

I didn't know you were going from Phuket when I wrote 5,000. I'd expect Phuket to be (at least) three times my original estimate. 10,000 is a really good price. Too good for a friend ????

1st class sleeper train should be the nicest and safeest option, 2nd class less so. You'd have to get to Surat Thani though. You can't book 1st class on 1togo, I'd call the railway directly to ask. 

Edited by MikeyIdea

5 hours ago, mja1906 said:

10k is an excellent price !

As a guide bkk taxi run at 5 baht per km 1500 x 5 = 7500 so to get a van at 10k is very good.

I still think sleeper train is better for the kids. Phone the station and get direct current info.

Round trip fuel costs are about 5,000 baht so the driver's not going to make a fortune, I'd take it. But the train would be good too and less tiring and stressful, it would also be a bit of an adventure which everyone could enjoy. I'd always meant to make that journey by train one day, it's part of the eastern oriental express run, pricey but nice.

https://www.seat61.com/eastern-and-oriental-express.htm

van mileage cost (1,500/16 *25 *2)