In Europe this seems to be the trend to turn lawns into floral meadows.

I have 800sqm of lawn with Malaysian grass, which I have to cut every week, and I'm sick and tired of it.

So what you think about of turning a private lawn into a floral meadow. Is it suitable for that, or is this actually meant only for public domains, like road sides?

Will it work in Thailand, and is it really maintenance free, other than cutting 2 - 3 times a year, or will it be ugly and infested with weeds?

It doesn't really work anywhere, maybe in the first springtime (what's the equivalent to that here?), but after that many flowers disappear. Some are annuals, so you have to mow after their seeding, which in its turn will disturb other flowers that are not yet matured. Maintenance free? I got quite cynical about the natural garden movement selling themselves as maintenance free to individuals that were too lazy to mow their lawns.  That tangle of grasses, flowers etc certainly couldn't be cut with a normal lawn mower and often I would use a scythe. . The material then had to be gathered up and disposed of, maybe waiting a few days for the seeds to ripen and sow themselves out.

Maybe I'm a rotten gardener but I never got this stuff to work for more than one season.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cooked said:

It doesn't really work anywhere, maybe in the first springtime (what's the equivalent to that here?), but after that many flowers disappear. Some are annuals, so you have to mow after their seeding, which in its turn will disturb other flowers that are not yet matured. Maintenance free? I got quite cynical about the natural garden movement selling themselves as maintenance free to individuals that were too lazy to mow their lawns.  That tangle of grasses, flowers etc certainly couldn't be cut with a normal lawn mower and often I would use a scythe. . The material then had to be gathered up and disposed of, maybe waiting a few days for the seeds to ripen and sow themselves out.

Maybe I'm a rotten gardener but I never got this stuff to work for more than one season.

It depends on what you plant.  There are durable, low maintenance, perennial flowering ground covers that squeeze out weeds once established.  Ask at a local garden center or a landscape designer.  

Plant Lists - Thai Garden Design - The Thai Landscaping Experts

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drtreelove said:

It depends on what you plant.  There are durable, low maintenance, perennial flowering ground covers that squeeze out weeds once established.  Ask at a local garden center or a landscape designer.  

Plant Lists - Thai Garden Design - The Thai Landscaping Experts

Of course. I have actually tried using some of those plants, not particularly (not at all) a sea of flowers, which is what the post is about, and although they do cover the ground pretty well, it is a constant struggle between one plant species and another, so maintenance free... not really.