Law May Be Revived To Curb Alcohol Sales

george

Law may be revived to curb alcohol sales

BANGKOK: -- In a move to tackle underage drinkers, the Public Health Ministry will propose the re-introduction of a law to the cabinet today that strictly curbs alcohol sales at convenience stores, movie theatres and some entertainment venues.

The law, which was originally a decree issued in 1972 by the ruling National Executive Council of the late prime minister Thanom Kittikachorn, limits alcohol sales by non-licensed shops and venues, such as convenience stores, to 11am-2pm and 5pm to midnight. Operators violating the law would face a two-year jail term and a 3,000-baht fine, Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan said yesterday. The operator's permit will also be withdrawn.

Mrs Sudarat said authorities aimed to put the law into effect on Aug 1 in conjunction with Buddhist lent. If implemented, the 32-year-old decree would affect a lot of convenience stores, cinemas and entertainment venues.

--The Post 2004-06-22

doc the only thing they wish to achieve is the public perception, I am sure they don't wish to have all those multi-millionaire alcohol producers shaking in their slippers. what with their lack of influence in the government, this is sure to be passed into law.

:o

One of the simple pleasures in life is buying a couple of beers for the trip from the airport home, this normally occurs at about 2-3pm and last up to 2 hours.

I cannot imagine sitting in the car for that long without a beer :D:o

One of the simple pleasures in life is buying a couple of beers for the trip from the airport home, this normally occurs at about 2-3pm and last up to 2 hours.

I cannot imagine sitting in the car for that long without a beer :D:o

I agree , it takes all the fun out of driving :D:D

I cannot imagine sitting in the car for that long without a beer :D:D

oops, hehe My Father in-law collects me from the airport, or I take an airport limo :D

Drinking and driving can kill :o

ABOUT TIME !!!!!

Bordeaux slashes wine sales as crisis deepens.

29-Jun-2004 Adam Lechmere The Bordeaux authorities have announced they are slashing the amount of wine the region can sell in an effort to stem the deepening crisis in French wine.

In an unprecedented move the Bordeaux trade body the CIVB will limit sales to 50 hectolitres per hectare. This will reduce the amount of the 2004 vintage sold by up to a third.

Any wine remaining will be stored pending its sale as bulk wine, or until the CIVB decides conditions have improved.

France is in the middle of its greatest crisis since the 1970s - some say since the phylloxera disaster of the 1860s. The price of wine has collapsed in the last three years to almost half what it was. In the mid-1990s barrels of standard AC Bordeaux red were fetching around ?1500. A

900-litre barrel now fetches around ?760.

In the past 12 months exports have fallen by 9%. Thousands of the region's producers are in financial difficulty, with threatened bankruptcies reported on a regular basis. The picture is repeated to a lesser extent across the great wine regions of France.

'The collapse in price of some Bordeaux AOCs has reached an unacceptable level that threatens the viability of our vineyards and the unity of the industry,' CIVB president Jean-Louis Trocard said. 'The situation cannot continue. Everyone has to act accordingly.'

The CIVB also proposes the uprooting of hundreds of hectares of vineyards that are disused or the subject of inheritance squabbles.

The reasons for the crisis are well-documented: falling domestic consumption, France's paralysis in the face of cheap, reliable, easy-drinking, well-marketed, understandably-labelled Australian wine. Generic Bordeaux is also dogged by accusations of falling quality.

Although they have agreed to be bound by the sales ceiling, the crisis does not affect classed-growth Bordeaux chateaux, which seldom have difficulty selling their wine. This year the five first growths have priced their 2003 vintage at double that of the 2002.

Producers affected are the main rump of generic Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superieur. With the price of wine plummeting below the level at which it is economic even to pick the grapes, many are resigned.

One producer in Entre-Deux-Mers said, 'I'm not making a centime. If things carry on like this I'll just stop. I can't even repay my loans.'

DON'T WORRY FRANCE SEND ALL YOUR OVER PRICED LOW QUALITY WINE TO THAILAND - SOMEONE WILL BUY IT !