Thai Lessons for PR Please

corkman

Hi everyone,

I speak a bit of Thai, but not great. It's almost good enough for the PR exam, but not quite good enough. 

I am not a good self-directed learner. I need some structured learning. I'd like some lessons, preferably in as a "course" with the goal of being good enough to comfortably pass the PR interview. 

Let's say I start next week. That should give me a solid 6 months of learning and practice. 

Can anyone recommend a school or private teacher. Respectfully, I want a professional well structured service, not a nice young lady doing a part time casual thing. I am flexible where the lessons take place. It can be in my condo, at my office, or at a school. Considering current COVID constraints, online learning is fine too with a view to eventually transitioning to in-person.

Recommendations would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance.

@corkman

Most language schools in Thailand teach formal Thai and don't teach informal spoken Thai. The Thai teachers also don't really know how to teach Thai to second language learners.

You can try this link below. They conduct online courses and their examples are quite explained well and concise.

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/online-group-lessons/

How do you know that your Thai is 'almost good enough for PR exam'?

Do you have a video on the type of questions that they ask?

Edited by EricTh

22 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

How long have you been in Thailand? Do you have the basics down?

Kind regards,

Jack

Yes, I believe I have the basics. Been here 10 years. I can survive in zero English environments, very basic conversations of where I am from, where I work, and such. 

4 minutes ago, corkman said:

Yes, I believe I have the basics. Been here 10 years. I can survive in zero English environments, very basic conversations of where I am from, where I work, and such. 

Sentence like 'Where you are from, where you work, what is your name' is the first Thai course that I attended which is too basic. 

Do you understand lower intermediate Thai like the video below without needing to look at subtitle?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@corkman

Most language schools in Thailand teach formal Thai and don't teach informal spoken Thai. The Thai teachers also don't really know how to teach Thai to second language learners.

You can try this link below. They conduct online courses and their examples are quite explained well and concise.

https://learnthaiwithmod.com/online-group-lessons/

How do you know that your Thai is 'almost good enough for PR exam'?

Do you have a video on the type of questions that they ask?

I know it is almost good enough, because I went for the pre-interview last year and the official said I was ok and  needed to practice more. I didn't go any further with my application at the time.

No videos of the interview questions, but I am hoping to find an expert here that knows the system and will be able to guide me through. Surely there are many people like me that needs and will pay for targeted tuition, so hopefully I can identify such an expert here ????

Thansk for the link. I'll contact them and get an evaluation and see what they have to offer.

Edited by corkman

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Sentence like 'Where you are from, where you work, what is your name' is the first Thai course that I attended which is too basic. 

Agreed. That is far too basic. Expanding from your example, I would like to improve to a level such as "where do you work? What do you like about your work? tell me about your typical day."...... and  ....... "Where are you from? Tell me a little about your home town? What are the differences between here and there".

I dont think I need to to be able to argue the finer points of politics, discuss my opinion on the environment, or give an opinion on art and literature. Just enough to hold a polite and meaningful conversation with a stranger on the train.

There is another post in the language forum with a couple of YouTube videos by Kruu Momm. I've watched several of the videos and found them helpful. She also gives one-on-one lessons in Bangkok. May be worth checking out. Good luck!

Advanced Thai with Kruu Momm

>Hi everyone! Thanks for visiting my YouTube channel.I designed this channel especially for students studying Thai at the advanced level.

I teach Thai online.You can book a lesson with me using this link -

https://www.italki.com/teacher/6065889

I have been teaching Thai to foreigners for more than 15 years. I know what it takes to get you to the next level.

If you're in Bangkok, I also do one-on-one lessons at coffee shops, food courts or any other convenient place.

LINE       moom1984
Skype     m-ball7777

Also, please LIKE, SHARE and COMMENT on my videos! Thanks<
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQtSJpPzl1pSd-oWtdMYA6w/about

11 hours ago, corkman said:

I know it is almost good enough, because I went for the pre-interview last year and the official said I was ok and  needed to practice more. I didn't go any further with my application at the time.

No videos of the interview questions, but I am hoping to find an expert here that knows the system and will be able to guide me through. Surely there are many people like me that needs and will pay for targeted tuition, so hopefully I can identify such an expert here ????

Thansk for the link. I'll contact them and get an evaluation and see what they have to offer.

AUA Language Centre Bangkok did have a special course for getting your 6 th grade Thai certificate. 

From what I heard it's fairly advanced, but 6 months of grade 6 should make you fly through the PR exam.

Not sure they still do it.

25 minutes ago, carlyai said:

AUA Language Centre Bangkok did have a special course for getting your 6 th grade Thai certificate. 

From what I heard it's fairly advanced, but 6 months of grade 6 should make you fly through the PR exam.

Not sure they still do it.

I've had many students coming from AUA complaining that the teachers there don't know how to teach second language learners. YMCA isn't any good either.

Their textbooks are ancient, too formal and contains tons of translation errors. 

Try comparing with the 'Learn Thai with Mod' classes and you'll see a huge difference. They explain things in a structured manner and give the grammar structure.

Edited by EricTh

21 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Definitely check out https://dukelanguage.com/ 

I've looked at a few videos from Dukelanguage. It seems to be quite good especially the explanation of the ending particles.

Never go to AUA & YMCA because those are terrible schools for foreigners who want to learn more than just the basics.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

I've looked at a few videos from Dukelanguage. It seems to be quite good especially the explanation of the ending particles.

Never go to AUA & YMCA because those are terrible schools for foreigners who want to learn more than just the basics.

Duke is definitely one of the top schools in the country for foreign learners. The guy presenting those videos is the principal. He's the author of Read Thai in Ten Days.

35 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Duke is definitely one of the top schools in the country for foreign learners. The guy presenting those videos is the principal. He's the author of Read Thai in Ten Days.

Yes, I know. I wish I knew about the school many years ago instead of wasting my money on the useless courses in AUA, YMCA and TSL.

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Yes, I know. I wish I knew about the school many years ago instead of wasting my money on the useless courses in AUA, YMCA and TSL.

You went to three different programs and they were all useless. How did you end up learning Thai and what level are you at? Can you read Thai?

49 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

You went to three different programs and they were all useless. How did you end up learning Thai and what level are you at? Can you read Thai?

AUA was just an evaluation and feedback from several classmates who went there to study. 

I ended up learning Thai by watching short Thai clips which are quite different from what was taught in these Thai schools. I realize that many practical Thai words were not taught and grammar structure were also not taught properly.

Yes, I can read Thai and at lower intermediate now. If I had better teachers then, I would be at higher intermediate by now.

How about you?

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

Well AUA must have changed alot because when i went there it was tops. The natural approached, also structured approach, reading and writing and grade 6 Thai certificate study course. In fact they had everything.

But that was a long time ago.

I still have friends who come from overseas to go back and do a month or two high level stuff to brush up.

So when did you go there EricTh?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Well AUA must have changed alot because when i went there it was tops. The natural approached, also structured approach, reading and writing and grade 6 Thai certificate study course. In fact they had everything.

But that was a long time ago.

I still have friends who come from overseas to go back and do a month or two high level stuff to brush up.

So when did you go there EricTh?

'Best'? Why don't you test yourself by watching a few Thai clips. If you can understand those FULLY without subtitles, then you are good. If not, you're just deceiving yourself.

This isn't advanced Thai but just lower intermediate Thai.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

'Best'? Why don't you test yourself by watching a few Thai clips. If you can understand those FULLY without subtitles, then you are good. If not, you're just deceiving yourself.

This isn't advanced Thai but just lower intermediate Thai.

I didnt say 'best' and i wouldnt mind a couple of thousand baht bonus as well.

So good you learnt Thai. ????

On 5/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, carlyai said:

Well AUA must have changed alot because when i went there it was tops.

I studied at AUA years ago and really enjoyed it, the teachers, classmates and study materials. I learned speaking basics and hired one of the teachers for private reading lessons, money well spent. This was years before Youtube and other internet resources. If I were starting out learning Thai today I think I'd still go for a classroom setting to get the basics. Now the teacher is my wife, we only communicate in Thai and she is quite talkative :-)

• Like 1