Pattaya: Severe flooding yet again after two hours of rain

webfact

2pm.jpg

Sophon Cable TV reported that there was widespread flooding in Pattaya last night after two hours of torrential rain. 

Particularly badly hit was the road by the railway from Soi Khao Talo to Khao Noi where there was fast moving water. 

They reported a stricken BMW had to be towed from the area. 

2pm2.jpg

A 300 m stretch of Sukhumvit Road near the south Pattaya turnoff was also inundated. 

Cars in several areas were unable to get through the floods. 

2pm1.jpg

Waves in the Gulf were 1 to 2 meters, they added. 

The authorities in Pattaya have vowed to improve the drainage but every time it rains heavily the same problem occur, notes Thaivisa. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-20

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Particularly badly hit was the road by the railway from Soi Khao Talo to Khao Noi where there was fast moving water. 

That's where they put in that drainage almost 4 years ago, isn't it?

Oh wait, stupid me, they started the job and dug up part of the road, then they just stopped and let it lay like that for the past 3 years.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 2

This is a result of voting for people for the "usual reasons" IMO. Perhaps enough flooding will make people realise that they need to put people in that won't just take the money and do nothing except for show.

If voting has been suspended for some reason and the council was appointed I'm off base, but tell me if that is so.

• Like 1

"The authorities in Pattaya have vowed to improve the drainage but every time it rains heavily the same problem occur, notes Thaivisa."

I think vows don't carry much weight in this neck of the woods

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

"The authorities in Pattaya have vowed to improve the drainage but every time it rains heavily the same problem occur, notes Thaivisa."

I think vows don't carry much weight in this neck of the woods

Nor in any low lying beach city around the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ah, the enjoyable hours I have spent sat outside 7/11's in soi khao noi with a drink in hand watching the water stream downhill,  the drains bubble, the cars struggle and the bikes wade through turd infested water.

Good times - Good times. Ahhhhhhh ????

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 5/20/2021 at 8:29 AM, impulse said:

Nor in any low lying beach city around the world.

Given that ALL of Pattaya is above high tide level it's not a drainage problem that is causing the floods.

Anyway, this subject must have been covered dozens of times on TVF.

Sure, the water will eventually drain.  But not fast enough in low lying areas without adequate slope.  It's incredibly expensive to speed drainage beyond it natural rate.  So we'll be hearing about drainage problems in Pattaya (and BKK and Houston, and... and...) for decades.  Until it becomes economically feasible to spend $$ billions to capture and pump water out instead of counting on the poor natural drainage due to topography. 

But as long as it's cheaper to clean up after a flash flood than prevent one, the locals will occasionally have wet feet.