Internet Banking In Thailand: Security, Usability, Offerings

I have been looking at the Internet banking offerings from SCB and Bangkok Bank, and I'm a bit surprised at what I'm seeing. I'm not an expert in computer security, but...

Both banks have login screens that request username and password in full. Both are using 128-bit encryption, and that's fine, but it seems that there is no protection against key-loggers etc. Snooping your username and password in an internet cafe is easy, snooping on your home PC is not difficult if you don't have all your anti-virus & anti-spy stuff well set up. I've used inet banking in Switzerland, Netherland and the UK, and none of them use this system any more.

What needed (at least) is a system to interrogate you about you password (enter the 4th, 12th and 15th character etc.) so that the password is never keyed in full. Better is giving users a hand-held device with a card and PIN - the login process send a code, then the device gives you a one-time-only password. The PIN never goes on the 'net. A cheaper solution is to send an SMS one-time password for every login. Would-be thieves need your username, password AND mobile phone.

As things stand, it's easy to see why the services are pretty restricted - i.e. can only transfer to accounts that you've registered in person. Both SCB and BKB only let you transfer monies to accounts with themselves - someone mentioned that Kasikorn allows transfers to other banks, but that also needs to be registered beforehand.

In short, I think the security is not high, and it's use these service with care - inet cafes could be especially vulnerabl places to do business.

Steve.

I have been looking at the Internet banking offerings from SCB and Bangkok Bank, and I'm a bit surprised at what I'm seeing. I'm not an expert in computer security, but...

Indeed. TMB (Thai Military Bank) has the same -poor- system for its online banking.

Regarding the external device (that generates a one-time-only-code), that's a very secure solution. HSBC uses it.

In short, I think the security is not high

I agree with you that Internet banking is very underdeveloped in Thailand. The rest of the banking service isn’t much to write home about, either.

--------------

Maestro

Yes ... They are all a bit of a joke ... Kasikorn probably comes closest to being useful

cos I can use it to top up my phone without getting that black stuff under my fingernail. :o

Bit sad really ... not like they need to reinvent the wheel.

Naka.

Kasikorn seems to be the only Thai bank that lets you set up a transfer to a 3rd party, either in the bank or with another bank, online (ie not having to fax, visit the branch or post a form to the branch). To increase security they have a second password or for more security a one time password that is sms'd to your phone (only Thai mobile though).

Bank of Asia's inet banking looked good, but they were taken over (and they werent strictly a thai bank),

The security seems to be implemented by limiting what a genuine or not user can and cannot do...

KBank's online banking system is indeed excellent and the most developed one among the Thai banks

BTW, BBL does allow you to register for online banking on a student visa as well...requires a bit of insistence at the branch, but they do it.

KBank's online banking system is indeed excellent and the most developed one among the Thai banks

BTW, BBL does allow you to register for online banking on a student visa as well...requires a bit of insistence at the branch, but they do it.

Students are lucky then because as a 'retired' with a 1 year extension they would not have it even though I had been with them more than a year and had a very good balance more than 1 mio. Thye lost a potential good customer for ever