Persian rugs Bkk?

clivebaxter

Anyone know of a good source for Persian, Afghan and Pakistani rugs in Bangkok? Ones I have seen in a couple of shops are overpriced by about 2x compared to the EU. Could import but would get stung for customs duty so that is not really an option. 

What kind of quality are you looking for?  I only looked online and most places didn’t seem to have prices listed, but there weren’t any that I was interested in pattern/color wise.  Ended up picking up a cheap rug from Roxy Rugs on Soi 24.  They appear to import worn out vintage rugs and then trim the fringe and shave the nap down to even out the wear spots.  They certainly aren’t collector quality but for me, they suited my purposes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Airalee said:

What kind of quality are you looking for?  I only looked online and most places didn’t seem to have prices listed, but there weren’t any that I was interested in pattern/color wise.  Ended up picking up a cheap rug from Roxy Rugs on Soi 24.  They appear to import worn out vintage rugs and then trim the fringe and shave the nap down to even out the wear spots.  They certainly aren’t collector quality but for me, they suited my purposes.

Worn out indeed, mostly threadbare Turkish 30+ years old, mine are older than that but don't look the same. This German based store sells for around the same price, but these are NEW. Might order from them when at home and try to bring back

https://www.naintrading.us/oriental-carpets/nomadic-carpets-c-72.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Worn out indeed, mostly threadbare Turkish 30+ years old, mine are older than that but don't look the same. This German based store sells for around the same price, but these are NEW. Might order from them when at home and try to bring back

https://www.naintrading.us/oriental-carpets/nomadic-carpets-c-72.html

Those look nice! 

One thing I learned from my mother, who was an avid collector (back in the 60s and 70s) of antique Persian rugs (Serapi, Bijar, Bakshaish, Heriz) from places such as Sotheby’s and Votek Blau is to take a firm bristled hairbrush and sweep it across the rug in order to see if it was woven from live or dead wool.  If fibers are pulled from the rug, it’s dead wool (wool taken from dead animals) and won’t wear well.  Of course, rugs like that are well out of my price range but I just thought I’d share that tip with you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

I used to sell them in the 60's but never heard of that tip, i'm going to test my Shriraz, just got to get brush from Mrs!

I sold rugs for Macy’s for a short time while in University in the 80s.  They were mostly #*&$.  ???? 

• Like 1