Phuket Sandbox - COE Required?

I understood (maybe wrongly) that a COE was required for travel into Thailand because the flights were "semi-commercial", e.g. not normal passenger flights.   When the Phuket Sandbox scheme starts, some airlines will fly direct into Phuket - great news - but surely these will be purely tourist flights.  So I wondered if a COE will still be required.   It would be good to cross that extra piece of admin off the to-do list.

So from above, it seems probable a CoE will be required for July, I guess expected, don't want a flood of tourists, and have to rely on airline, immigration officers, and a number of PCR tests to make Phuket safe, got to get embassy staff to check a PDF, and issue another PDF.. 

Onto my question, is a CoE likely to be required after the state of emergency? traveling August for example? It is a lot of extra work dealing with embassies, and especially if you have to take the ridiculously priced Thai originated covid only insurance where your own medical insurance is more than sufficient. Waited this long so prepared to move it out another month if it avoids all the headaches

Edited by asiam110

4 hours ago, asiam110 said:

So from above, it seems probable a CoE will be required for July, I guess expected, don't want a flood of tourists, and have to rely on airline, immigration officers, and a number of PCR tests to make Phuket safe, got to get embassy staff to check a PDF, and issue another PDF.. 

Onto my question, is a CoE likely to be required after the state of emergency? traveling August for example? It is a lot of extra work dealing with embassies, and especially if you have to take the ridiculously priced Thai originated covid only insurance where your own medical insurance is more than sufficient. Waited this long so prepared to move it out another month if it avoids all the headaches

At present, nobody can answer your question, because nobody knows, whether or not the state of emergency will be renewed for another 2 months or not and how many times this will happen. Given the current vaccination status in Thailand (or the lack thereof), it seems safe to assume that 2021 will end with most restrictions in place and the state of emergency not lifted before October or November. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Onto my question, is a CoE likely to be required after the state of emergency?

Needing a COE has nothing to do with the emergency decree. I think it will be needed for a long time.

Looked Los Angeles Thai consulate website, no into, just the usual prepaid ASQ hotel proof, Insurance proof, etc, etc documentation requirements... so doubt they have any info for the new "schemes" (or will have in the near future)...

12 hours ago, asiam110 said:

It is a lot of extra work dealing with embassies, and especially if you have to take the ridiculously priced Thai originated covid only insurance where your own medical insurance is more than sufficient. Waited this long so prepared to move it out another month if it avoids all the headaches

There is no requirement to have "Thai originated" Covid insurance.

International policies that will cover Covid are fine and many people  have gotten COE based on these. All you need is a letter from the insurer stating that your policy covers COVID, the dates, and the amount you are insured for. My insurer does this by a simple paragraph added at the bottom of the usual Certificate of Insurance that states

"MEDICAL EXPENSES - COVID-19 COVERAGE
Hospitalisation costs covered at 100% of usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) costs, with a minimum of USD100,000. Treatment for medically-necessary services related to COVID-19 are covered according to the benefits schedule, as any other medical condition."