Residence Certificate Questions

Barley

Hello,

I never had to get a residence certificate but now I would like to get  Thai driver's license and I need one for my out of the country bank for change of address verification.

So I have a couple of question:

1.) What to bring?

Is it enough to have original and copies of my passport and Non-O visa and my TM-30 which is clipped to the passport?

Or do I need anything else?

2.) Are the Residence Certificates purpose specific?

I was planning to just get one, hand in the original at the DLT and send a copy of that one to my bank. Would that be possible or do the certificate state "For driver's license" blah blah?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Could you also please address my 2nd question:

I was planning to just get one, hand in the original at the DLT and send a copy of that one to my bank. Would that be possible or do the certificate state "For driver's license" blah blah and I need to order 2 certificates?

2) They are not purpose specific. I asked about this when i got mine a few months ago. But who knows, might vary from province to province... mine was done in Phuket.

They did ask me however what the purpose was. (DL in that case) That made me ask in return if there is any difference at all on the certificate if you give a different purpose: Register a veichle or open a bank account.  Answer: No. They are exactly the same.

Q: Then why the question of purpose?

A: Blank stare

31 minutes ago, Barley said:

I was planning to just get one, hand in the original at the DLT and send a copy of that one to my bank. Would that be possible or do the certificate state "For driver's license" blah blah and I need to order 2 certificates?

I have requested 2 RC's on 2 occasions and both times told them I needed them for different purposes.  The first time I got 1 RC that had wording specific to opening a bank account and the other RC specific to DLT.  My second request I told them 1 RC was for opening an account and the other for registering a bike.  After 55 days I finally received both RC's but they were identical.  The cost(should be 0) for the multiple RC's is the same as for one.  My advice is to request enough RC's to cover all your needs.  However DLT only needed 1 RC to issue me both car and bike licenses.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They are not purpose specific, but why would your bank even need a certificate of residence?

Kasikorn bank likes to make it difficult for farangs to open accounts.  Unfortunately they have the best mobile app, otherwise I wouldn't bother with them.

6 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Kasikorn bank likes to make it difficult for farangs to open accounts.  Unfortunately they have the best mobile app, otherwise I wouldn't bother with them.

I would qualify that as some branches of Kasikorn Bank like to make it difficult.

Some on the other hand are easy.  Opening my Kasikorn account was much easier and faster than opening my Bangkok Bank account.  

But, got them both so the hurdles were not insurmountable and are dependent upon the branch you select to apply.

1 hour ago, 86Tiger said:

I would qualify that as some branches of Kasikorn Bank like to make it difficult.

Some on the other hand are easy.  Opening my Kasikorn account was much easier and faster than opening my Bangkok Bank account.  

But, got them both so the hurdles were not insurmountable and are dependent upon the branch you select to apply.

I tried two different Kasikorn branches around November last year.  I also called their help line and was told "cannot".  My first attempt included the assistance of a district manager in Kasikorn's SME loan division who is a personal friend of our son.  The Branch Manager said "cannot" until I get my 1 year extension.  I needed an account before I could qualify for the extension.

I went to the Bangkok bank in the same mall and opened two accounts in 30 mins.

After I got my extension I went to a different Kasikorn branch with my RC and passport.  I was well dressed and polite when I asked to open a new account.  Staff said I MUST deposit 10K ฿ to open.  I just laughed and said "That's not true".  Two minutes later my 1K฿ note was deposited into my shiny new Kasikorn account.

How recent was your experience with new accounts at Kasikorn and Bangkok banks?

Edited by gamb00ler

I went to Chiang Mai Immigration this afternoon, since I was told to come around now in the afternoon to pick up my new visa.

I hoped to be able to apply for my RC in one swoop. But then I found out that the 2nd floor office where to apply for the RC is only open until noon.

Just thought I mention it so that others in the same boat will know.

The reason I am considering getting only one RC and copy it, is that I would like to go the next day route and pay 500 Baht for it.

I am concerned that they would want 2x 500 Baht, if I ask for two RCs.

Edited by Barley

5 hours ago, Barley said:

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Could you also please address my 2nd question:

It's not specific but you need two original certs. Most banks don't accept copies which might be altered digitally.

You have to apply two times for two copies. It sucks but that's how it works. I have asked this many times.

21 minutes ago, Barley said:

I went to Chiang Mai Immigration this afternoon, since I was told to come around now in the afternoon to pick up my new visa.

I hoped to be able to apply for my RC in one swoop. But then I found out that the 2nd floor office where to apply for the RC is only open until noon.

Just thought I mention it so that others in the same boat will know.

The reason I am considering getting only one RC and copy it, is that I would like to go the next day route and pay 500 Baht for it.

I am concerned that they would want 2x 500 Baht, if I ask for two RCs.

Why don't you ask your bank and see whether they accept a 'photocopy'? As far as I know, most banks only accept originals because photocopies can be altered. If the bank manager accept it, then it's fine but transport certainly wont' accept photocopies.

They will accept it. But of course probably not a copy thst says it is specifically for obtaining a driver's license.

It is not for a Thai bank.

BTW are the RCs in English or Thai or both?

Edited by Barley

1 hour ago, Barley said:

They will accept it. But of course probably not a copy thst says it is specifically for obtaining a driver's license.

It is not for a Thai bank.

BTW are the RCs in English or Thai or both?

In Thai only.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's not specific but you need two original certs. Most banks don't accept copies which might be altered digitally.

You have to apply two times for two copies. It sucks but that's how it works. I have asked this many times.

In my experience at CM Imm. this is not the case.  Twice I have applied for 2 RC's and received 2 each time for a single application.  The first time each RC was worded specifically for it's intended purpose.  The second time the RC's were identical even though I mentioned that they were for different purposes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

In my experience at CM Imm. this is not the case.  Twice I have applied for 2 RC's and received 2 each time for a single application.  The first time each RC was worded specifically for it's intended purpose.  The second time the RC's were identical even though I mentioned that they were for different purposes.

That is what the immig officer told me a few months back, they even asked me to come another day to apply for the second one which is ridiculous. My experience is different from yours doesn't mean it isn't true.

They change rules all the time.