Getting Married To Thai Lady While In Australia

Hello to all,

My Thai GF is in Australia on 3 month tourist visa. I would like to propose and marry before she returns to Thailand. Has anyone done this or similar? any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.

I don't think there is anything to prevent you from marrying your g/f whilst on a tourist visa.

That doesn't mean that you can then automatically apply for a spouse visa whilst she in Oz on the tourist visa.

She may have to return to LOS and make another visa application.

(There was a recent discussion on this subject in this forum. You may be able to find it using the search criteria.)

If you are thinking along these lines I suggest you make a phone call to the Immigration Office in you Oz capital city and ask for advice.

Over the past 10 years I’ve a couple of friends in Oz who’ve married Thai girls on tourist visas.

The girls had to return to Thailand to apply for a spouse visa.

Don’t forget there’s a notification period from when you apply to be married and the ceremony can be performed.

I got married when my wife was here on a tourist visa. However I was living in Thailand at the time and we returned to Oz for about a month for work - it was during that time that we got married.

You need to give the 'authorities' a month's notice and I think you might have to provide proof from Thailand that your partner isn't currently married.

Other than that - no problems.

Hello to all,

My Thai GF is in Australia on 3 month tourist visa. I would like to propose and marry before she returns to Thailand. Has anyone done this or similar? any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.

3 weeks ago I married my wife while she was on a tourist visa in Oz.

It is no problem but...

One months notice is required to fill out the intention to marry form. Actually a couple of weeks extra would be a good idea.

Her passport is suitable as proof of ID

She will need to show that she is free to marry, We had some forms from her Amphur relating to her sole support of her son. You could use statements from her family, a stat dec from her stating she is free to marry etc...

A translator to ensure that she understands the situation....this does not need to be an accredited translator...anyone with good Thai/English skills will suffice...you will need the same for wedding as well as parts of the ceremony are legal requirements. So she needs to fully understand what is being said.

You will need her parents names in English for the register.

If you call a celebrant they will fill you in on whats required. Some can also assist with a 12 month bridging visa if she wishes to stay here while her spouse visa application is being processed. I believe the application for the bridging visa and Spouse visa needs to made after the wedding.

Edited by gburns57au

One thing to take into account .... is her Visa stamped with the "No Further Stay" condition.

If it isnt you should be able to lodge a spouse visa application along with payment here and and obtain a Bridging visa to tie you over untill you can obtain the rest of the info required for the " Decision making process".

A friend of mine just went thru the process from tourist to spouse visa with his wife. All was done from here. They did have to go for a trip to thailand though as there was no way they could get the required documentations while over here.

One thing I thought was a little stange thought was that she had to pay for some sort of visa to leave and return to Australia.

Another friend had a girlfriend here on a 3 month tourist visa recently that was stamped " No further Stay" he returned with her the end of that 3 months and got issued with a 12month multiple entry (max 3 month) within a few days NOT stamped with the "No Further Stay" condition. (Guess its all in what you submit in suporting the application)

A friend of mine just went thru the process from tourist to spouse visa with his wife. All was done from here. They did have to go for a trip to thailand though as there was no way they could get the required documentations while over here.

One thing I thought was a little stange thought was that she had to pay for some sort of visa to leave and return to Australia.

As soon as the lady applied for the spouse visa her tourist visa was void as she no longer held that status. She would have been granted a Bridging A visa for the processing period.

As she wished to depart (and return) during that period she had to apply for a special visa for the purpose. A Bridging B visa.

Edited by Old Croc

I married my lovely lady 2 months ago at the end of her 12 month multiple entry tourist visa. She then returned to LOS a week after the ceremony to apply for her spouse visa. She had to wait 3 weeks for translations and the police report before lodging her application on 1st of this month............................just got the email from the Aust Embassy today.........all approved and she should be back here ( for the honeymoon) in a few weeks.............happy John !!

Click on this link to read the Partner Migration Book.

It should contain answers for most of your questions.

Thanks all very much. The above quote was from a champion forum member like yourselves on another thread similar to mine. . It has a good link.

Just one more question, who do i have to give 1 months notice to? is it the DOMCA?

I better geta move on, cause i was going to do it in 1 month.

It is also very pleasing to hear no wise arse comments as can be usually expected on threads. I guess this subject, everyone takes seriously as we all know how much it means to our happiness.. ( Gee , now i will get a comment ) lol.

All the best!,

PS: I also agree that without the help of this forum, i would not of had such a easy time getting the 3 month tourist visa.

Click on this link to read the Partner Migration Book.

It should contain answers for most of your questions.

Thanks all very much. The above quote was from a champion forum member like yourselves on another thread similar to mine. . It has a good link.

Just one more question, who do i have to give 1 months notice to? is it the DOMCA?

I better geta move on, cause i was going to do it in 1 month.

It is also very pleasing to hear no wise arse comments as can be usually expected on threads. I guess this subject, everyone takes seriously as we all know how much it means to our happiness.. ( Gee , now i will get a comment ) lol.

All the best!,

PS: I also agree that without the help of this forum, i would not of had such a easy time getting the 3 month tourist visa.

The celebrant will have the forms needed to be filled in...you need to go and see him/her at least 4 weeks and 1 day before the intended date. They will lodge the forms for you...They will also arrange the registration of the marriage for you and this is all included in the cost. Once you have selected the celebrant and supplied the forms than you only have to worry about the actual wedding.

BTW if you have been married before you will need your decree nisi absolute to show him/her and take ID with you also.