Can US citizen bring a Thai domestic helper to the US as his employee?

I've been asked by a friend if something is possible and from what little research I've done online it seems probable it's not.  But, I don't want to miss something so if you know it is possible I would be interested in hearing about that.

US citizen in poor health will be traveling back to the US and wishes to obtain a visa for his Thai domestic helper to accompany him as his employee.  From what I've read US immigration basically doesn't allow US citizens to do this, "import labor into the US."  It seems to be possible for someone going to the US for a temporary period, like on a work assignment, or for a diplomat, but I think a US citizen who lives in the US in general cannot do this.  Am I wrong?  Hope so, but it doesn't seem likely.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"Human Trafficking" would come to mind if the US Embassy is presented with such a request.  Highly improbable that such an application would be approved even if it is completely legitimate.  This is the current state.  Might be easier to fly to Mexico City, drive to Ciudad Acuna, cross the Rio Grande into Del Rio Texas and claim Asylum(of course I am being facetious).  I would find another scenario.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Asking for a friend? I’d be surprised if this could be done easily as the US is very tough on any immigration, particularly the unskilled variety. Could you find an American to do the same job, would be their thinking?

• Like 1

I tried doing this for a friend in the US. Poor health, he wanted a fulltime live in to help him in his daily living. The first requirement was that the Thai had to have a bachelor's degree. That eliminated a large majority of the people who would have been able to perform these duties. US immigration is a near impossibility at this time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

Perhaps your friend should marry the domestic helper.

A friend of mine married a girl from the Phillipines.  Then tried to get her a visa to the USA. After several years he has given up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I remember a few years back a US couple took two Thai lady to USA,

as domestics,  BUT they worked in the US Embassy......

regards worgeordie

Yes, one of the exceptional cases where you can sponsor a domestic worker is if you will be in the US on a temporary work assignment or on a diplomatic assignment, which might well have been the case with that couple.  Unfortunately, the person mentioned in the OP is a US citizen so returning to the US is neither temporary nor a work assignment.  Being allowed to sponsor a domestic worker is one thing, but even if allowed the worker has to apply for permission to work after they enter the US, so cannot legally work for the 2-3 months that would take to be issued.  From perusing government and legal sites it's apparent that it's not practically possible.  Nothing I've seen in the replies has caused me to change my opinion about the infeasibility of this option.  However, as I'm being asked to give my advice by my friend I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something I wasn't aware of.  We don't know what we don't know.