Transfer Ownership of Car, Thai Owner to Foreigner.

PFMills

This used to be fairly straightforward process.

Can anyone please advise what documents are now required by the purchaser? Has anything changed due to Covid,  and do all LTO require the same documents or....

He tells me that Bang Na LTO are requiring some document from his embassy. And it appears that his embassy cannot provide this document at the moment as they are shut. Embassy is the  Peoples Republic of China.

I have suggested that he trys a different LTO. He actuallylives in Bangkok.

Anyone have any recent experiance of purchasing a 2nd hand car and would share/suggest a way forward.

• Like 1

I have transferred a few times... Foreigner to Thai and Foreigner to foreigner:

Documents required for a foreigner to take ownership of a vehicle (DLT Area 3 - Sukhumvit 99, Bangkok)

1) Copy of Passport (signed)

2) Proof of Address (Affirmation of Address from Embassy, or, Certificate of Address from Immigration, or, Yellow Tabien Baan house book).

It would appear that the foreign (Chinese) buyer needs an a Proof of Address letter. 

IF the Chinese Embassy will not provide this, if the buyer has been in country longer than 90 days and has carried out a 90 day report he will be able to obtain a Certificate of Address (letter of Address) from Immigration at Chaeng Wattana (or the temporary Muang Tong Thani office). 

Alternatively, IF the buyer has a Yellow house book he can use this as proof of address (at DLT Area 3).

• Like 2

Thank you. Can you go to any LTO or just one in the province where the car is registered or where the prospective owner lives?

Also how new must the Cert of Res be, less than one month old?

Edited by PFMills

Transferred from Thai ( CMai) to Foreigner (Phuket) 2017 at DLT Phuket.

Passport (Visa Exempt)/ Bill of Sale (Correct Form) / Car Blue Book / Owner ID Card ( Signed Copy) / COR. DLT Transfer Papers completed all in Thai by DLT for 200 baht.

Got New Blue Book (Phuket) & New Plates (Phuket) after several more DLT visits (by my thai lady.....).

10 hours ago, PFMills said:

Thank you. Can you go to any LTO or just one in the province where the car is registered or where the prospective owner lives?

The ownership transfer is done in province where the foreigners obtains the certificate of residence (Some foreigners were seemingly able to register it in a different province, but usually the DLT won't accept a certificate of residence from another province).

If the new owner is Thai it can be done at any DLT.

If the transfer is done in another province then where the vehicle is currently registered it takes two trips to the DLT and a few days wait in between.

Edited by jackdd

On 6/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Got New Blue Book (Phuket) & New Plates (Phuket) after several more DLT visits (by my thai lady.....).

A new Blue Book ? normally they just change the owners name in the old book.

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

yes, but Area of Reg changed from Chiang Mai to Phuket so Phuket issued New Phuket Blue Book as well as New Phuket Plates and Name Change.

I have changed registration from Bangkok to Phuket and later from Phuket to Sisaket and all the time still had the same blue book but got new plates every time.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

1) Copy of Passport (signed)

2) Proof of Address (Affirmation of Address from Embassy, or, Certificate of Address from Immigration, or, Yellow Tabien Baan house book).

Agree. That's also what's needed to my experience and knowledge...????????

1 hour ago, perconrad said:

I have changed registration from Bangkok to Phuket and later from Phuket to Sisaket and all the time still had the same blue book but got new plates every time.

Probably the book was just full, or damaged, or something like that. They don't issue a new book just because the province changes.

A post containing a telephone number has been removed:

Privacy

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or Social Media addresses in posts or signatures.

Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites/blogs, or Social Media accounts, may be posted in a member's profile page only.