Wireless Router

Benlucky

I'm in the states now,priced a Linksys router model WRT54G at $55 dollars can not recall prices at Pantip

anyone know? and will this router be usable for Thailand's voltage, Thanks

I don't know the price of the router off the top of my head, if you are really interested I can check it out over the weekend and let you know. Most devices like this use an external power pack. Thai Voltage is 240V 50Hz whereas in the US you are using 110V 50Hz. The power packs are generally very cheap here - only a couple of dollars unless it it a specific brand with an unique connector.

CB

I'm in the states now,priced a Linksys router model WRT54G at $55 dollars can not recall prices at Pantip

anyone know? and will this router be usable for Thailand's voltage, Thanks

From the thanni.com website the price is 2,050 baht or about $57.00.

Yup, I think you can find a similar price in Thailand, perhaps slightly higher, mostly because the dollar is such good value at the moment.

Most routers use a power adapter-plug, so the thing to check is if this power adapter (big plug) accepts anything from 110-230 V and 50-60 Hz. Chances are that it will.

Linksys is a good choice I think. I bought a D-Link wireless router and I hate it.

I bought a D-Link wireless router and I hate it.

mmm... mine's a beauty. No hassles at all :o

im in the market for one, wireless router that is. Any other opinions out there on makes and models. Especially want to know if the signal is good where it has to travel thru concrete walls/floors etc

im in the market for one, wireless router that is. Any other opinions out there on makes and models. Especially want to know if the signal is good where it has to travel thru concrete walls/floors etc

they have different range of wireless routers out there. The regular Wifi-B is almost obsolete now, then there is the wifi-g, wifi-g+, and finally wifi-N. The routers for wifi-N runs around 5900+baht and can basically transfer data at very high rate and at great distances. But still pricey.

I'd settle for a G+ which would not be more than 3000baht depending on brands and models. Have not had good luck with D-Link. Always problems with them. Very happy with Belkin and Linksys products. Using combinations of them around the network here.

• 2 weeks later...

they have different range of wireless routers out there. The regular Wifi-B is almost obsolete now, then there is the wifi-g, wifi-g+, and finally wifi-N. The routers for wifi-N runs around 5900+baht and can basically transfer data at very high rate and at great distances. But still pricey.

I'd settle for a G+ which would not be more than 3000baht depending on brands and models. Have not had good luck with D-Link. Always problems with them. Very happy with Belkin and Linksys products. Using combinations of them around the network here.

Finally bought a Linksys WAG200G for home and it goes great for what I require. Easy set up.

I'm thinking of changing to wireless at home myself so I can use the notebook in other rooms besides my office. If I buy a wireless router can I just swap it for my curremt ZyXel router without having to go through a lot of installation protocol (or whatever it's called)?

I'm thinking of changing to wireless at home myself so I can use the notebook in other rooms besides my office. If I buy a wireless router can I just swap it for my curremt ZyXel router without having to go through a lot of installation protocol (or whatever it's called)?

I am no expert - but I have both wireless and wired routers at home, (because the wireless took a two month holiday while under guarantee.) If or when I need to swap them, it takes a while setting things up again.

most probably nothing much to do. best thing to do it to uninstall zyxel router(switch?) software and then follow the instructions to your new router. new routers are all pretty simple to set up. Oh you do need a wi-fi thing for your notebook as well in case it does not have built in wi-fi.

Edited by tigerbeer

Most now have web interfaces for setting up and are fairly straightforward with wizards n all. Bung the address into your browser - something like http://192.168.1.1 - and enter your ISP settings once logged in, which are already in your ZyXel - u/n, p/w, connection type etc. Don't forget to set up an encryption key on the wireless page to prevent nosy neighbours from hacking into your bandwidth and change the login password for your router from the standard 'admin'. :o