Pommie

fatter than harry

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
:D I HAVE TO PUT THE RECORD STRAIGHT AS IT SEEMS EITHER THE EDUCATION IN AUSTRALIA HAD RE-WRITTEN IT'S HISTORY BOOKS OR YOU "POMS" DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR ANCESTORS CAME FROM.WAY BACK IN 1828 MY "FATHER'S GREAT,GREAT GRANDFATHER AND A FRIEND WENT INTO A THEN TIME SURREY MANSION HOUSE,NICKED A COUPLE OF "FLINT LOCK PISTOLS",AND PROBALLY TRIED TRIED TO FLOG THEM DOWN THE LOCAL INN,THE PEELER'S (Bow Street Peeler's is were it all started)UP BOW LANE,(The Metropolian Police Force) CAUGHT UP WITH THEM,THEY WERE CONVICTED OF THEFT AND WERE DEPORTED TO AUSTRALIA.WE HAVE FOUND OUT VIA SOMERSET HOUSE AND KEW PUBLIC RECORDS OFFICE,THE NAME OF THE PRISON BOAT,THEIR "DECK" ,"SHACKLE NO" THEIR PORTS OF CALL" ARRIVING AT BOTANY BAY,AND THEN TO CONFINEMENT,MOST GOT "ROYAL PARDONS" AFTER SERVINGS "X" AMOUNT OF YEARS.SO PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU BLABBER ON.I SERVED BY THE WAY WITH ASASR AND 42 ROYAL MARINE COMMANDO'S :o SERVED IN SOUTH EAST ASIA,SPENT SOME TIME ON R&R WITH ALL NATION/S OF YOU YOUNGSTER'S HAVE IT EASY NOW,AS SOMEONE DIES FOR YOUR GAS IN THE TANK.!! NUFF SAID.START CONSCRIPTION AGAIN,AND TAKE CARE FOR THE SAFEGUARD OF " COUNTRY" AND STOP KNOCKING THE ENGLISH.THEY ARE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN YOU IN SOME THINGS.GOOD FOR SAS,ASASR,SUELU SCOUTS AND NZSAS.

THEY WERE CONVICTED OF THEFT AND WERE DEPORTED TO AUSTRALIA.

So old mate was an Aussie that moved to POMMIE LAND and then ran foul of the OLD BILL and got sent back :o

I must admit, after reading your post, I had a instant flash of Captain Mainwaring from DADS ARMY go through my mind :D

What a great show that was :D

I've only ever heard POMW not pomy..

People Of Much Whinging..

Soap dodgers...classic... :o

thats rich coming from the land of ginjockeys

worked with a few in my time (christ whinge)aussies hold the cup.

oops sorry didnt howard say abos were the true aussies you lot are just imigrants

It means PERSONIFICATION OF MISERY

'qwertz' , you do not like pomms, I do not like aussies....we should meet in the middle...let have a beer in Thailand! :o

Your shout, T!

From a PRODUCT OF MANCHESTER

Such a easy one to understand, not even a life time ago aussie, kiwis and cnadians were being call this very word in the jap's prisoner of war camps in Singapore as they were sucked/choose to fight for a once upon a time mother land. Anyone doughting this should take a look, but like most thing the Brits come up with are stolen and used in another way.

ok you dudes,

listen bloody up will ya's,

i got the top inside information about the origin of the word "pommy".

its not rhyming slang or anything like that sort of bollicks. :D

cricky's mate, the true straight up meaning is :

An english punter that wants to be an australian but is not quite good enough to make the grade. :bah:

i'll tell you how bloody desperate they were to get to australia, the buggers coughed up with ten pounds to get into our brilliant country. :o

used to be a free trip if you were up to knocking off a loaf of bread. :bah:

thank you very much. :D

terence

anyway,

for all of you dudes that want to be an australian but just arn't quite good enough, dont worry, as if you behave yourselves in this life you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next life. :D :D

Pommy

The term Pommy for a British person is commonly used by Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans speakers, and is often shortened to Pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies, most being acronyms.

One theory is that, as the majority of early immigrants to Australia were British, it is rhyming slang for "immigrant" from a contraction of the word "pomegranate", or possibly more directly related to the appearance of the fruit, as it bears a more than passing resemblance to the typical pale complexioned Briton's skin after his or her first few days living under the hot Australian sun.

The Oxford English Dictionary has recently come out strongly in support of the word being a contraction, listing "pom" and "pommy" under its entry for "pomegranate". A supporting quotation from the Bulletin (Sydney) 14 November 1912: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse."

A commonly-heard alternative theory is that POM is a shortened acronym of Prisoner of His/Her Majesty (POHM) or Prisoner Of Mother England (POME). As many of Australia's first settlers were convicts, sentenced to transportation, this theory holds that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with POHM emblazoned on the back, and that convicts with an extended stay on Australian soil would no longer have to wear the shirt and would often refer to newer entrants into the country as "Pohmmys". Other suggestions hold that POM is a different acronym, such as "Prisoner of Mother England" or "Port of Melbourne". These etymologies are considered by some researchers to be false, as the term "pommy" was coined long before acronyms were used in common parlance. Moreover, there is no record of prisoners in Australia ever wearing such uniforms.

Another theory is that it is rhyming slang for tommy.

The use of the word "Pom" is contentious. Some British people living in Australasia find the term offensive and demeaning, others find it harmless and amusing. Attitudes to the use of the word have varied over the years, from the 1960s when slogans such as 'bash a pom a day' were heard on New Zealand radio, to today, when the word has become so entrenched that few Australians and New Zealanders see any reason to avoid using the word, some even justifying the use of the word as being "endearing". In December 2006 the Advertising Standards Board of Australia unanimously ruled that the word "Pom" was a part of the Australian vernacular and was largely used in "playful or affectionate" terms. As a consequence, the board ruled that the word did not constitute a racial slur and could be freely used in advertising. The Board was responding to a complaint filed by a community group called British People Against Racial Discrimination

I've only ever heard POMW not pomy..

People Of Much Whinging..

Soap dodgers...classic... :bah:

thats rich coming from the land of ginjockeys

worked with a few in my time (christ whinge)aussies hold the cup.

oops sorry didnt howard say abos were the true aussies you lot are just imigrants

us australians really love the poms immigrating as they are brilliant for the enviroment regards saving our precious water supply's.

the buggers only have a scrub once a week. :D :D :bah:

righty oh you pommy cats, stop bloody crying will ya, as that was only a joke ok. :o

cricky's, you fellas are a touchy lot.

alright, i'll stop pissing around and be 167% honest.

the truth is you lot do have a bath twice a week then. :D :D :D

just to keep on topic, " pommy " means , people who are bloody brilliant at saving water. :o

thank you very much ;)

terence

An english punter that wants to be an australian but is not quite good enough to make the grade. :D

i'll tell you how bloody desperate they were to get to australia, the buggers coughed up with ten pounds to get into our brilliant country. :o

Streeeuuuuuth!! Terrence, wherd'ya get that little beauty from?

Sounds like a'loada cobblers yu ole wowser!

Mark

if you behave yourselves in this life you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next life. :D:bah:

I thought that if one behaves one will become something better in the next life :o

how can you possibly be better than an australian torito.?

its <deleted> impossible. :bah:

if your a good fella in this life torito, you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next one. you've had a bit of bad luck in this life by the look of your avatar. :D

id be very careful if i was you, as someone could stick a star picket in your back bottom and put you on the B. B. Q. :D:o

us aussies are a tad partial to bull sausages. :D

thank you very much. ;)

terence.

and just to keep on topic , pommy means, an english bull called torito with a star picket in his bottom providing top tucker for us australians. :D

if you behave yourselves in this life you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next life. :D:D

I thought that if one behaves one will become something better in the next life :o

if your a good fella in this life torito, you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next one. you've had a bit of bad luck in this life by the look of your avatar. :D

In this life I am a good bull......next life a lazy Kanguroo! Not an improvement! :D

Coming back to the topic, I told this story on another topic, but it makes more sense now:

A pomm who do not wanted to to be pomm decided to make an operation to change his nature.

- He ask the doctor that he would prefer to be an Irish

- The doctor replied that for that he need it to cut out a quarter of his brain

- The pomm agreed with the procedure

- After the operation the patient woke up and next to him was the doctor who told him "we are terrible sorry, we made a mistake during the operation and we cut out three quartes of your brain"....

- the patient replies...."no worries mate!"

if you behave yourselves in this life you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next life.

I thought that if one behaves one will become something better in the next life

if your a good fella in this life torito, you might be lucky enough to be born australian in your next one. you've had a bit of bad luck in this life by the look of your avatar.

In this life I am a good bull......next life a lazy Kanguroo! Not an improvement!

Coming back to the topic, I told this story on another topic, but it makes more sense now:

A pomm who do not wanted to to be pomm decided to make an operation to change his nature.

- He ask the doctor that he would prefer to be an Irish

- The doctor replied that for that he need it to cut out a quarter of his brain

- The pomm agreed with the procedure

- After the operation the patient woke up and next to him was the doctor who told him "we are terrible sorry, we made a mistake during the operation and we cut out three quartes of your brain"....

- the patient replies...."no worries mate!"

could of been worse i suppose,

the patient might of replied ..... " well howdy partner, my names george bush." :o:D

and just to keep on topic, maybe george bush thinks he's a pommy? :bah: :bah:

<deleted>, sorry torito as thats not very bloody funny is it. :D:D

thank you very much, :D

terence

An english punter that wants to be an australian but is not quite good enough to make the grade. :D

Streeeuuuuuth!! Terrence, wherd'ya get that little beauty from?

Sounds like a'loada cobblers yu ole wowser!

Mark

jesus mate,

ill give you the big tip about talking aussie slang. be very bloody careful will ya.

i have been told that theres some people that cant get a handle on it, and its a bloody hanging offense to utter such aussie truism's.

there's a certain australian who was nearly banned for talking aussie slang so you just bloody watch it mate.

anyway,

oowroo cockatoo :D

and just to keep on topic, pommy does not mean being able to talk aussie slang as they are just not up to it.

thank you very much :D

terence