Are Foreigners Still Welcome Here?

Are foreigners still welcome here?  

205 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious how other board member feel!
They just want to get rid of the trash,what's wrong with that? :o:D:D

A constructed case that could happen easily: foreigner was teaching at a local university for, let's say, 15 years. Now soon he will be retiring and getting a pension from the Thai government. This pension will sure be less than 40.000 THB a month. According to the new Visa requirements he isn't entitled to get a Visa anymore. Is he trash now?

there was another thread not too long ago with the same poll that made the same mistake you have. Neither made a distinction between feeling welcome by the current government or feeling welcome by the people.

I still feel welcome by the thai people i am around and most others. I do not feel welcome by the government.

I think you should have this poll deleted and start a new one with the proper distinction of who you want to know we are getting the negative or positive feelings from.

there was another thread not too long ago with the same poll that made the same mistake you have. Neither made a distinction between feeling welcome by the current government or feeling welcome by the people.

I still feel welcome by the thai people i am around and most others. I do not feel welcome by the government.

I think you should have this poll deleted and start a new one with the proper distinction of who you want to know we are getting the negative or positive feelings from.

I hope this hasn't been misunderstood - I had clearly stated in the header Visa requirements and therefore meant the Government who is responsible for this, sure not any Thai in person.

A constructed case that could happen easily: foreigner was teaching at a local university for, let's say, 15 years. Now soon he will be retiring and getting a pension from the Thai government. This pension will sure be less than 40.000 THB a month. According to the new Visa requirements he isn't entitled to get a Visa anymore. Is he trash now?

LOL ... not a likely case .... but

That would assume that he is NOT married .... has not gotten PR ...... etc etc etc oh yeah and that that is his only income and he is under 50 ... all not likely

That would assume that he is NOT married .... has not gotten PR ...... etc etc etc oh yeah and that that is his only income and he is under 50 ... all not likely

Let's assume he is married, supporting his wife from reasonable income and he is of course not 50 but 60 (pension age). To get a visa he will require an income of 40.000 THB a month, isn't he?

They just want to get rid of the trash,what's wrong with that?

Whos the trash ?

Is it those tatoo coverd guys walking around drinking from the bottal of chang in their ink laden hand ?

Is it the pedofile sitting in a bar in sunee plaza ?

Is it someone down the ex pats club waiting to check out the next new member and see if he's worth cultivating ?

Or is it simply one of the many arrogrant, get out my way Im important types driving his fortuner along sukumvit ? not to mention the sad trash like us that sit down all day making reply's to other sad trash on the forum.

Fully agree, a world of difference between feeling welcomed by people and not welcomed by government. I also find the Thai 'middle' and 'upper' classes are much more of a pain in the jaxey than the poorer but more hospitable Thais (who thankfully are in the majority, even in BKK).

H

Let's assume he is married, supporting his wife from reasonable income and he is of course not 50 but 60 (pension age). To get a visa he will require an income of 40.000 THB a month, isn't he?

at 60+ wouldn't he have an income from elsewhere? at 15+ years teaching continuously in Thailand to warrant a pension here wouldn't he have gone the PR route? At 60+ and educated wouldn't he have enough for a retirement visa socked away? even if he never spent it? ad nauseum ....

Fully agree, a world of difference between feeling welcomed by people and not welcomed by government. I also find the Thai 'middle' and 'upper' classes are much more of a pain in the jaxey than the poorer but more hospitable Thais (who thankfully are in the majority, even in BKK).

H

I don't know really, I mean you cannot deny that there is a xenofobic undertone going around in this country, and this certainly not only applies to middle or upper class. Remember that these measures were started by Thaksin, who was elected mostly by the "lower class'.

I don't know really, I mean you cannot deny that there is a xenofobic undertone going around in this country, and this certainly not only applies to middle or upper class. Remember that these measures were started by Thaksin, who was elected mostly by the "lower class'.

I think that sums it up. There is definitely a change in mood - even tolerance. I can feel it - but it's not every day and at best it's subtle and hard to describe. But it's there all right.

Trash= Anybody (Farang) that lives on less than the minimum required for a retirement visa.If that means you maybe you should start thinking about your future before it is too late like the teacher(if he exits). :o:D:D

Thats a pretty broad statement, There is a big difference in living costs of say living in a village once you have made your capitol outlays, (car,house etc) and living in the the big smoke drinking and whoring and dining out every night.

I know they say two can live as cheaply as one but the reason for a married man to have income of 40k yet a single man has to have 65k pm income escapes me.

at 60+ wouldn't he have an income from elsewhere? at 15+ years teaching continuously in Thailand to warrant a pension here wouldn't he have gone the PR route? At 60+ and educated wouldn't he have enough for a retirement visa socked away? even if he never spent it? ad nauseum ....

Well the irony of working at a government school/university is that the salary the government pays isn't actually enough to submit a PR application . . . .

G

Very interesting opinions and facts so far, thanks a lot for posting. 2 ironic facts have come up so far here: foreigners employed by the government actually very often do not qualify for the visa requirements set by the government as far as I understand. And the very people who do welcome us in our daily life have elected a government that seems to have an opposite opinion regarding foreigners.

On the rules :

As I am over 50 and can qualify for the 800k bank or the 65k income, I feel welcome even though I know they can re-set the bar higher any time. They have shown and still show they grandfather you once you are in the system.

On the people :

Thais are naturaly very welcoming especially upcountry where I spend most of my time

That's more or less what I wanted to point out with this constructed case: if foreigners do work for the Thai government they actually do not fulfill the requirements for a visa sooner or later. Will they be kicked out after they retire then? If we're looking across the border, for example Singapore, a permanent residence and even a citizenship does come with time severed in this country, not with pockets full of money. In my opinion these requirements do lack any moral and ethical aspects. Another point that came up here so far is the fact that the people who make us feel welcome in our daily life have elected a government that seem to have an opposite opinion about foreigners wanting to live in Thailand. Aren't a good share of the government that "invented" these new regulation descendants of migrants?

Aren't a good share of the government that "invented" these new regulation descendants of migrants?

You hit the nail on the head....................... :o:D :D

For sure the government is less welcoming before, and it will even be less so in the future. I think there is something seriously wrong with the main criterion always being about money with these visas, fianacial requirements which always seem to go up.

Krub, I don't know if you should feel so secure about being grandfathered in with future changes.

As for the people, I'm not really sure as well. They still seem friendly, but as others have pointed out, they voted in the nationalists in the first place. There is a xenophobic undercurrent in the country.

I think it is an very interesting point made by ludosiam. Many of the people making these laws are descendents of immigrants, asian immigrants and not farang obviously. The message is clear. Now that we've worked our way to the top, you lot stay out, but please give us your money before you leave.

For sure the government is less welcoming before, and it will even be less so in the future. I think there is something seriously wrong with the main criterion always being about money with these visas, fianacial requirements which always seem to go up.

Krub, I don't know if you should feel so secure about being grandfathered in with future changes.

As for the people, I'm not really sure as well. They still seem friendly, but as others have pointed out, they voted in the nationalists in the first place. There is a xenophobic undercurrent in the country.

If you decide to live in a country other than your country of citizenship, there is always an element of risk to be asked/forced to move on.

I have lived outside of my country for more than 38 years and I am 'only' 52.

The rules change and you have to adapt or find an alternative. You also need to prepare for the alternative.

It is normal that a country has rules they seem fit to regulate foreigners.

The annoying part is that the rules are interpreted and applied differently but this can/is part of the way Thai's go about their daily lives and is not restricted to immigration rules.

I too feel very welcomed by the Thai people I am meeting in my daily live, otherwise I surely wouldn't be here. One odd statement came up in the discussion here: these welcoming Thai people voted for a Government that seems not to welcome foreigners. Could it be that the government has different interests than the people it should stand for? If I remember well a few members and sponsors of that government had started their businesses as Thai / Western joint ventures and these relationships went sour after businesses were up and running.

Very interesting opinions and facts so far, thanks a lot for posting. 2 ironic facts have come up so far here: foreigners employed by the government actually very often do not qualify for the visa requirements set by the government as far as I understand. And the very people who do welcome us in our daily life have elected a government that seems to have an opposite opinion regarding foreigners.

Those foriegners WILL be eligible for PR .... and find it easier than many to achieve :o

As far as feeling welcomed I believe you need to ask " by who ". I have been living in Thailand for 13 years. The country has gotten worse for greeting foreigners every year that I have been here. I believe the common man still looks at us with interest where the business man who has to compete sees us as a threat. Since the government is controlled by business they make it difficult for foreigners.

I wonder why a country like Thailand, not rich nor poor, requires a foreigner to earn 10 times the amount of a normal Thai person just to stay in the country as a non tourist. This is unless you are married, then it is only 5 times. I understand some of the other requirements but the money part is only about greed.

Despite the new visa regs, wich is a bit of a drag to me to (9 months to go before the big five0) i still get a smile at the immigrationpost by the border every time, maby it is because i greet them politely, and I bother to put on a desent shirt.

So yes I still feel wellcomed by the common Thai people i get to associate with.

Kind regards :o

Edited by larvidchr