Chromebooks

Ms Tigger

I need to think about replacing my old laptop in the near future and was considering a Chromebook. Has anyone had any experience with these, upsides, downsides etc? I mainly use my laptop for listening to music, storing pics and music, emails, stuff I need to do on t'interweb, youtube etc, so will need to be able to do the same on a Chromebook.

No need to do such a thing. Consider upgrading your old laptop or just buy an inexpensive laptop with a solid state drive of 128 GB minimum.

Unless you want to utilise Android applications on a laptop, there is no reason to limit yourself to the Chrome OS and the cheapest hardware. I would not buy a laptop/Chromebook that uses an SD Card for storage.

Plus with a ChromeBook; Google Drive is considered your storage. No Internet; no access....unless you download the whole thing to the ChromeBook...if there is space. My opinion? Don't.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've been using a Chromebook for about 4 years. It can do everything you mention in your post. They have plenty of onboard storage which can be expanded with an ad card. You don't need to be connected to the internet all the time for a Chromebook to work, like a lot of people believe.

Very fast to open/shut down, OS is kept up to date and secure by quick and easy downloads.

I'm very happy and will never go back to a normal laptop.

• Like 1

I am a computer dummy. I have a tablet that I use for email, banking and pretty much anything that requires a password.

I have a chromebook to stream TV, live sports from sites which may not be considered completely legal. It is fast, the picture is great and works for me. It seems to be bullet proof around viruses. Others may understand the technicals better but it works for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I am a computer dummy. I have a tablet that I use for email, banking and pretty much anything that requires a password.

I have a chromebook to stream TV, live sports from sites which may not be considered completely legal. It is fast, the picture is great and works for me. It seems to be bullet proof around viruses. Others may understand the technicals better but it works for me.

So just like a modern Windows laptop but less versatile.

Look at Lenovo's blurb for their Chromebooks:

• Long battery life: The minimalistic Chrome OS and absence of a typical spinning hard drive means unplugged times can be longer on a Chromebook.
  • Optimized for Google apps: If you already rely on Google's popular apps such as Calendar and Gmail, the Chrome OS is optimized for using them conveniently.
  • Fast boot times: With an OS that's intentionally minimalistic and data stored on a solid state drive, a Chromebook has less to accomplish when booting up, so it's ready to use much faster.
  • Browser-based simplicity: If you can use a web browser, you can use a Chromebook, since it's primary user interface is the Chrome browser.
  • Extremely thin and light: With fewer bulky internal components, Chromebooks are among the thinnest, lightest PC devices available today.

All of the things I wrote earlier. Sold on the basis that old style laptops had old technology spinning disc drives that were very slow and made the Windows experience somewhat painful.

I haven't had anything like a virus on my Windows laptop for a long as I can remember.

Browsers themselves block a lot of the things that you used to see on laptops in the old days.

Modern laptops now have exactly the same attributes. Long battery life, thin and light, can also use just a Browser if you wish, a lot faster with SSD.

Picture is also great on a normal laptop. Picture isn't great on a Chromebook with a not great screen. It's all the same, other than Chromebooks having cheaper and nastier hardware because they are built down to a price...unless you buy a premium model, which then defeats the object.

• Like 2

In addition, now that Windows 11 will have the ability to run Android application, even that advantage will be slipping away from Chromebooks. It remains to be seen if Google allows it's Play Store on the Microsoft platform.