Reinforcing Benefit of Golf to Mental Health

ASEAN NOW Golf

According to recent research, one in six adults suffer from a common mental disorder such as anxiety or depression on a weekly basis.

Artistic-15-low.jpg

Amid worrisome and overwhelming circumstances such as the Covid-19 pandemic, it is inevitable that people may be afflicted by increased feelings of depression, frustration, anxiety, and impatience.

Fleeting negative feelings are normal, but there are many ways they can be combatted. One of those ways is through playing sports.

Syngenta Growing Golf has highlighted two people who consider golf played a crucial part in their recovery from depression and bereavement.

At the age of nine, Sam Gerry took up the game after his father bought him his first set of clubs. Within four years he had progressed to the point where he started playing competitively.

As a 14-year-old, however, depression struck. His first episode lasted for seven months, during which he considered taking his own life.

A trip to the Masters Tournament with his grandfather proved to be a turning point. While at Augusta National, he felt a sense of joy he had not experienced for a while. After that trip, he went to the course again and played golf.

According to Gerry: “I was not necessarily worrying too much about how I was playing at first, but just trying to enjoy the game as much as I could. That really helped immensely.

“It was great while I was out on the course to have that escape, for sure. Because I played regularly, it definitely built up to create a longer-term effect on my recovery.”

Playing on the course, spending time with friends and family were also factors in his recovery from depression.

He said: “I just think about everything this game has given back to me. I really appreciate what it has done. You really could say golf saved my life, and that’s not an exaggeration.”

Jan Fawdry also found solace in golf while she was going through grief. Growing up on a farm in Suffolk, England, she spent most of her time working indoors, inside a windowless office.

She envisioned a peaceful retirement with her husband. Then suddenly, she lost him to cancer.

She decided to spend time on the golf course and meet like-minded women who eventually helped her boost her social life and self-confidence.

“The women I’ve met have been truly inspiring, and a fantastic source of support and encouragement, both on and off the golf course.”

According to Professor Jenny Roe, an environmental psychologist from the University of Virginia, going out to a green space brings physiological and psychological benefits.

She said: “You literally manage stress more efficiently when you are around green space. We know it helps relieve depression, anxiety, and anger. We know it helps performance, relieving brain fog and mental fatigue.”

She recommends playing golf to ‘help manage mental health in a very holistic way’ by backing it up with four reasons:

·         It is a social sport that can be played alone or with other people.

·         It improves one’s physical activity.

·         It challenges players in terms of practice and technique.

·         It provides positive effects to one’s psychological well-being through exposure to nature.

Syngenta is an Executive Member of the Asian Golf Industry Federation.

*By Jordan Fuller, golf coach and mental health advocate.

• Thanks 1

IIRC, in the USA some academic did a comparison of many golf professionals with the captains of industry that were prevalent in the first few decades of the 1900's.

The vast majority of the golf professionals lived long and happy lives, many not dying until they were in their 90's.

OTOH, most of the captains of industry became insane, committed suicide, or died broke.

Hopefully, the same can be said for amateur golfers.

"it is inevitable that people may be afflicted by increased feelings of depression, frustration, anxiety, and impatience" ... This arises immediately one addresses a ball lol ????????????

Edited by Tropposurfer