Replacement Visa card question

So ordered a new visa card last week, got sent a sms with PIN to activate through the BKK bank call centre, this has been done.

I then used the existing credit card i had yesterday without issue.

My new card arrived today, does this now mean that both work? Should i now cut up the old one and only use new one, old one still good till October?

Thanks.

• Sad 1

Just now, Surelynot said:

I would tuck the old one away for a while until you are happy 100% that the new is doing everything it is supposed to do.

I could look after the old one for you.

Yeah, this is what i thought too, you think they'll both work tho?

OR

When the new one is used the old one 'de-activates'?

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yeah, this is what i thought too, you think they'll both work tho?

OR

When the new one is used the old one 'de-activates'?

They maybe allow an overlap for a limited time........ just to ensure you continue to have access to the gf's ATM......then the old one will stop???

If card is replaced as the old one is expiring, then there is no overlap. The moment you register new one, the old one will stop working. Until you activate new one, it will not work.

If you are getting a replacement because of damage to old one, for instance, then both would have same number and same expiry date, etc. so both should be usable.

At least at all banks of which I have credit cards.

Edited by tomazbodner

37 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If card is replaced as the old one is expiring, then there is no overlap. The moment you register new one, the old one will stop working. Until you activate new one, it will not work.

If you are getting a replacement because of damage to old one, for instance, then both would have same number and same expiry date, etc. so both should be usable.

At least at all banks of which I have credit cards.

The old one expires October,i wanted it replaced becoause i may be out of thailand then.

New one expires Oct 2026.

Then something came up so called the call centre and they re-activated my old one coz i had to buy flights and new one had not arrived, it worked yesterday, yet to try new one. Maybe ill try just for something to do.

26 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The old one expires October,i wanted it replaced becoause i may be out of thailand then.

New one expires Oct 2026.

Then something came up so called the call centre and they re-activated my old one coz i had to buy flights and new one had not arrived, it worked yesterday, yet to try new one. Maybe ill try just for something to do.

If you talk to the bank, they can do anything. I got new Mastercard from Citi, forcing me to switch from Visa. The moment the new card was activated, the old one was blocked. That was like a month+ back, even though from what's embossed on it, the old one should still be working till end of this month. The number changed, though, obviously.

Previously another bank stopped my old card the moment I activated new one. That was even written on the paper that it was glued on when I received it.

So it might depend on the bank. But of course, their call center can change things.